• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Ballad Of Baker

10 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

Baker went from walk on to Heisman Winner and 1st Round Draft Pick. I don't think he's cocky, I think he's confident in his ability to overcome based on his history. He isn't a Johnny Manziel. He didn't get to where he is by being quiet and humble because when you're his size and a walk on, you can't. You have to be charismatic and be a leader, which he was. But the Browns are so dysfunctional that of course they would squander that.

Baker apparently has a photographic memory as well, for what it's worth. He's already better than Darnold who can't see the field at 6'5. Baker can remember offensive and defensive plays by sight and when healthy, he's good.

I'll be interested to see if Mcadoo actually adjusts the offense to his strengths.

Baker let his rookie success get to his head and I understand part of his struggle in 2019 was failing to do the film work and processing what he was seeing by the defenses.  You can have a an eidetic memory but if you can't read defenses and process information as it unfolds on the field, it doesn't matter. If he is willing to do the work to improve I am excited for his potential. But given his size he isn't the most athletic guy out there so he needs to make up for that with hard work and mental preparation. He already has shown his toughness. But is he a team player and a leader??  I hope so.

18 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Baker let his rookie success get to his head and I understand part of his struggle in 2019 was failing to do the film work and processing what he was seeing by the defenses.  You can have a an eidetic memory but if you can't read defenses and process information as it unfolds on the field, it doesn't matter. If he is willing to do the work to improve I am excited for his potential. But given his size he isn't the most athletic guy out there so he needs to make up for that with hard work and mental preparation. He already has shown his toughness. But is he a team player and a leader??  I hope so.

Looking at it from the outside he was overconfident after his rookie year and made some bad throws year 2 leading to a ton of picks. He looked like he got his head out of his ass and improved a good bit in year 3 with a top 10 QBR. The curve ball is last year’s struggles. I believe it was because he was trying to play through that injury from week 2, but he looked much worse. Had he stayed healthy and continued his improvement he would probably still be a Brown.

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Looking at it from the outside he was overconfident after his rookie year and made some bad throws year 2 leading to a ton of picks. He looked like he got his head out of his ass and improved a good bit in year 3 with a top 10 QBR. The curve ball is last year’s struggles. I believe it was because he was trying to play through that injury from week 2, but he looked much worse. Had he stayed healthy and continued his improvement he would probably still be a Brown.

That seems to be a fairly common analysis as I have heard several talking heads saying something similar.

On 7/8/2022 at 9:16 PM, poundaway said:

I take it back.   I hadn't finished watching when I posted it. Great video. This line alone worth the whole video:

Guess who Carolina ends up playing in week one.  The Cleveland Browns.  I honestly hope Carolina wins and Baker throws for over 300 yards and three tds.  I don't care if he sucks the rest of the year.  The meme world needs Mayfield to take the biggest shlt all over the Browns.  It's honestly deserved for how raw they dogged him.

It will be hard to throw for 300 yds on the Bench , knowing Rhule,  Darnold will start week 1 because the organization still won't admit that was a failure 

1 hour ago, Day1PanthersFan said:

It will be hard to throw for 300 yds on the Bench , knowing Rhule,  Darnold will start week 1 because the organization still won't admit that was a failure 

That doesn't fit with his history.  He switched from Teddy after one year.  Trying to get Wilson and Watson, drafting a QB and trading for Baker is essentially already admitting Sam was a failure.  Shoot he so much as said Sam wasn't cutting it at the end of last season.

He's dropped plenty of experiments and kept right on trucking.  This won't be any different.