• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ITS HAPPENING! BLACK HELMETS CONFIRMED!

joemac

33 minutes ago, davos said:

Modernizing doesn't have to be a continuous process every few years, although you're right that orgs with weird owners and poor marketing depts. make the mistake of constantly revamping.   Modernizing (for lack of better term) can also be just a single point in time where you take a chance at very subtle, refined updates.  A uniform revision, tweaks.  Just like we did once.    

Your examples had rather ambitious splashes changing something like their pattern, striping, helmet schemes, etc.  Example being the gold/black Jaguars helmet thing.  I mean, they've updated upwards 5-6 times and we have the same lifespan as a team.  All we've done (which I respect) is revise the logo with smoother fillet edging and simplified it and swapped colors on the jerseys with some super minor changes.  That's really it since 94 released the unis.     

I see the Bills, Bengals, Falcons, & Giants as examples of what we've done and how we could tweak things. 

The piss poor design concepts everywhere online also give the whole process a bad aura (not saying mine is anything special) but I think simplifying and refining is totally fine.  4 colors is just excessive, and keeping something longer doesn't always equate to timelessness.  Timelessness needs a certain balance of minimal and proper design to work.  4 colors and one being sparkly silver is simply not timeless and it would be appropriate to finally get a nice refinement going.  We always have these to wear or come back to.  

the black/gold helmets were hot and modern when they were introduced 

On 7/20/2022 at 7:17 PM, Growl said:

the problem with “modernizing” your look is that you have to keep doing it to uphold the premise

The league has a few examples of this

the Jaguars, the browns, the lions, all come to mind as the chief offenders.

Abysmal organizations who are constantly phasing out now-dated design schemes to keep up with trends and feign enthusiasm

i like the new helmet as a new alternate with the rule change but it shouldn’t be a precursor to some big overhaul.

panthers have a good look using enduring design traits. Just keep it until it becomes timeless. 

All we really need to do is change the silver helmets from a gloss to a matte finish and it would look pretty modern yet still classic panthers.