• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will David Tepper admit he made a mistake when he finally fires Matt Rhule?

hepcat

4 hours ago, Thorrez said:

Stop pretending like it was a choice between a success and a failure. The other hot hire in the cycle was Judge, and a assume that is not what you call a success?

Mediocre team without a QB in a division the Tom Brady decided to make his home. Tell me ove available coach he should have hired that would have been a success before you start to tell about admitting mistakes. Sometime all your options are shitty.

And if you think I'll defending Rhule, reread the first sentence.

The candidates they interviewed were:

Mike McCarthy, Josh McDaniels, Eric Bieniemy, and Kevin Stefanski.

Who else was available at that time? Well a lot of people, but this is who they interviewed. To be honest I think any of them would have been better than Rhule. All of them had significant NFL experience at the time and could have put together an NFL caliber staff. Rhule's biggest drawback was his lack of NFL experience and connections. The 2020 Panthers went into the season with two coordinators who had never called plays at the NFL level, including an OC who had never called plays whatsoever. No wonder it was a failure.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Who else was available at that time? Well a lot of people, but this is who they interviewed. To be honest I think any of them would have been better than Rhule. All of them had significant NFL experience at the time and could have put together an NFL caliber staff. Rhule's biggest drawback was his lack of NFL experience and connections. The 2020 Panthers went into the season with two coordinators who had never called plays at the NFL level, including an OC who had never called plays whatsoever. No wonder it was a failure.

Any of those guys would have been better than Rhule. 

and if you wanted to lure someone out of college, Matt Rhule wouldn't of made the top of my list there either.    

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

McDaniels would be the win here, if he would have accepted and we didn't offer that would be the real mistake. Picking Rhule over the rest of the bunch of not a worse bet than any other, although did turn out worse.

I agree with your other point, he should have been forced to pick a former head coach as coordinator just to learn the basics from.

Edited by Thorrez

2 hours ago, hepcat said:

McDaniels was a candidate but they never actually interviewed him (don't I wish).

They did interview Nick Caserio but he took the Texans job something like a day after he talked to us. As I recall, McDaniels was scheduled to come in the day after Rhule but...well, you know how that turned out 🙄

Not sure they ever actually interviewed Stefanski either, honestly. I think he was scheduled to come in the following week but again...Rhule.

The worst part of that cycle was that McDaniels actually could have been in a lot sooner but Belichick dicked around and delayed him from being free to interview. Lot of folks think that was deliberate, and knowing Belichick they're probably right.

Pretty sure I'd laugh my head off if McDaniels runs up the score, dismantles Mac Jones and shoves a nasty loss up Belichick's ass the next time the Raiders play the Pats.

There's a tremendous amount negative attention applied towards Rhule and Tepper. I'm not saying it's deserving or not, but to me, the constant attention and mentions of it isn't. Tepper's the owner and Rhule is the coach, throwing this and that at them every other post is pointless. It seems to me that many of you come here just to criticize everything Panther. This player is that, that player is this. He should be cut, he should be fired. Blah, blah, blah. Is this how yall want to start the season? 

15 minutes ago, PantherPhann89 said:

There's a tremendous amount negative attention applied towards Rhule and Tepper. I'm not saying it's deserving or not, but to me, the constant attention and mentions of it isn't. Tepper's the owner and Rhule is the coach, throwing this and that at them every other post is pointless. It seems to me that many of you come here just to criticize everything Panther. This player is that, that player is this. He should be cut, he should be fired. Blah, blah, blah. Is this how yall want to start the season? 

Mentioned it before, but I don't approach the season with a plan to be a certain "way".

You could have all the positive feelings in the world about Sam Darnold if you want to. It's not gonna make him any better.

Likewise, you've got fans who for whatever reason don't care for Baker Mayfield. Is that gonna affect his performance? Seriously doubt it.

So bottom line for me? I'm neither gonna give myself false hope by happy talking the bad stuff nor deny that at least the offense looks potentially improved from the personnel side.

What does it all mean?

Ask me in a couple of weeks.

18 minutes ago, Pakmeng said:

Don't think those folks are particularly interested in the actual game day. It's a soap opera for them.

Hell, we have some dumbasses on here who hardly ever even talk about football at all. They just spend all their time talking about other posters instead. Pretty much nobody likes those guys or wants them on board but they keep coming back as if they think people like them.

Those attention needy drama queens really aren't worth sh-t.

Edited by Mr. Scot

45 minutes ago, PantherPhann89 said:

It's what a fanbase looks like after 4 straight losing seasons featuring miserable long losing streaks.

The team has been mismanaged at almost every turn since Tepper bought the team. Every year there is massive turnover on the coaching staff and a new starting QB. There are legitimate questions if the owner's involvement in the football operations of the team is doing more harm than good. 

2 hours ago, hepcat said:

It's what a fanbase looks like after 4 straight losing seasons featuring miserable long losing streaks.

The team has been mismanaged at almost every turn since Tepper bought the team. Every year there is massive turnover on the coaching staff and a new starting QB. There are legitimate questions if the owner's involvement in the football operations of the team is doing more harm than good. 

That;s really not a difficult thing to understand...or shouldn't be.

8 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Mentioned it before, but I don't approach the season with a plan to be a certain "way".

You could have all the positive feelings in the world about Sam Darnold if you want to. It's not gonna make him any better.

Likewise, you've got fans who for whatever reason don't care for Baker Mayfield. Is that gonna affect his performance? Seriously doubt it.

So bottom line for me? I'm neither gonna give myself false hope by happy talking the bad stuff nor deny that at least the offense looks potentially improved from the personnel side.

What does it all mean?

Ask me in a couple of weeks.

Understandable, it just erks me to read negative post after post about the same team and players that they say they support with little to no supporting words mentioned in their posts...

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, hepcat said:

Yeah because every billionaire can buy an NFL team and manage to completly turn it around, from top to bottom in 5 years. I believe our team is better now than it was when Tepper purchased it...