• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Staal Deal Could Be Done In ‘Near Future’

MillionDollarCam

Looks like the Canes are preparing to bring Staal back, wouldn’t be surprised if they keep resigning him to one year deals until he decides to call it quits.

https://www.nhl.com/news/carolina-hurricanes-jordan-staal-contract-status-update/c-336151004

Staal, along with Paccioretty, Fast, Kase, Stastny, de Haan, Coghlan (RFA), Bear (RFA), Gardiner, Andersen, Raanta, and likely Stepan will all be free agents at the end of the year.

The Canes should have a little under $30M in cap space next year.

Make this Staal's last season. Have him groom his replacement as captain and try to make that one last run for the Cup. If he chooses to remain with the team, he can do so as an assistant or you create a mentor position for him or something within the organization. Love the guy but I get the feeling this season is it for him.

5 minutes ago, lightsout said:

Make this Staal's last season. Have him groom his replacement as captain and try to make that one last run for the Cup. If he chooses to remain with the team, he can do so as an assistant or you create a mentor position for him or something within the organization. Love the guy but I get the feeling this season is it for him.

You don't watch much do you? 

26 minutes ago, lightsout said:

Depending on salary, I wouldn’t mind giving him 1 year deals until he decides to hang them up. He’s very good defensively and at the very least could be an elite 4C until he decides to hang them up.

3 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Depending on salary, I wouldn’t mind giving him 1 year deals until he decides to hang them up. He’s very good defensively and at the very least could be an elite 4C until he decides to hang them up.

Context he likely understands he is a 2m per year guy, and he brings FAR too much defensively to right off until there is a fall off (which there hasn't been) only somone looking at point totals would think Staal shouldn't be back.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

Context he likely understands he is a 2m per year guy, and he brings FAR too much defensively to right off until there is a fall off (which there hasn't been) only somone looking at point totals would think Staal shouldn't be back.

Dude is a game changer in the playoffs at home w/ last change advantage. 

• Flames 2

2 minutes ago, lightsout said:

I do. Was one of three people 6 years ago keeping this place active. Staal is still very good but with our youth, money, and chance to compete, the sooner he hangs it up the better IMO. 

It’s funny you mention that, I was looking at old threads yesterday because I was wondering where some of the people who used to post on this board went.

For the most part, it’s just you, KillerKat, and myself that’s still left.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, lightsout said:

I do. Was one of three people 6 years ago keeping this place active. Staal is still very good but with our youth, money, and chance to compete, the sooner he hangs it up the better IMO. 

I've been here a long long time (obviously different handle)  I think you are wrong what he brings on Defense is not so easily replaced.... What he does at the dot and erasing other teams #1 lines....

This team isn't here to compete they are out for Cups and a Selkie caliber defensive C is a great assent.... Didn't you have a love affair with Skinner?

2 minutes ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

I've been here a long long time (obviously different handle)  I think you are wrong what he brings on Defense is not so easily replaced.... What he does at the dot and erasing other teams #1 lines....

This team isn't here to compete they are out for Cups and a Selkie caliber defensive C is a great assent.... Didn't you have a love affair with Skinner?

Ok admittedly Skinner was the fuging business until we found out he was made of glass and his work ethic started dipping lol. I get Staal's usefulness. But he's also on like, what, year 16? Over 1k games for sure. He's in the back end, all I'm saying. If he stays on cheap and accepts that even if he's 2 lining, he's in a bottom 6 role to win faceoffs and pk and get a bunch of minutes late to secure wins, sure. I just don't want to be tied to him with no future move and nobody who is ready to wear the C. That's all.

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

It’s funny you mention that, I was looking at old threads yesterday because I was wondering where some of the people who used to post on this board went.

For the most part, it’s just you, KillerKat, and myself that’s still left.

Yep. RealBitsOfPanther too. He was the other author on The Canes Blog, back when we still had blogs. Great times.

• Pie 1

Just now, lightsout said:

Ok admittedly Skinner was the fuging business until we found out he was made of glass and his work ethic started dipping lol. I get Staal's usefulness. But he's also on like, what, year 16? Over 1k games for sure. He's in the back end, all I'm saying. If he stays on cheap and accepts that even if he's 2 lining, he's in a bottom 6 role to win faceoffs and pk and get a bunch of minutes late to secure wins, sure. I just don't want to be tied to him with no future move and nobody who is ready to wear the C. That's all.

He is already in the bottom 6.... You need guys like him.... And Skinner was horrible on defense still is the guy was a liability if he scored two he was directly responsible for 4 given up....

8 minutes ago, lightsout said:

Yep. RealBitsOfPanther too. He was the other author on The Canes Blog, back when we still had blogs. Great times.

I think Staal is welcome here on a 2mish per deal as long as he remains defensively elite.... Unless we move Necas or Jarvis back to their natural C positions it's the one place we aren't dripping with young talent.