• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Willing to wait two more seasons?

Jmac

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Tony Elliott turned us down in 2019, although that was likely due to the Rooney Rule. Pep Hamilton turned us down this past offseason because he expected to have better opportunities available.

I believe Leftwich turned down a HC opportunity this past offseason(Jags maybe? as well. 

It's not uncommon. Remember McDaniels turning down multiple opportunities?

Pretty sure Hamilton was contacted about being an OC under Rhule, not a head coach. Declining that job was obviously a damn good decision 😆

I know Ed Dodds interviewed for the GM job but pulled out afterward.

Edited by Mr. Scot

22 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

If you have paid attention to our previous coaching searches, you will notice that we were flatly turned down for interviews by some HC and OC candidates. 

Not every prospective coach wants any job out there. That happens every hiring cycle.

who? and how many?

What happens is every off season fans get caught up in a handful of names and think that is the only canidates out there.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Pretty sure Hamilton was contacted about being an OC under Rhule, not a head coach. Declining that job was obviously a damn good decision 😆

Yeah, that's what I mean. Check the original post and you will see I said HC and OC.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

I got that. I'm just not familiar with anyone declining the head coaching job.

Those positions and opportunities are so rare that I seriously doubt candidates turn down the offers frequently due to a bad roster or bad ownership.  I mean damn the jets and browns still get top candidates.  I think the issue of us not being and attractive job is massively overblown

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Did Dodds pull out because he didn't like our "structure" (Rhule final roster control)?

• Pie 1

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

Those positions and opportunities are so rare that I seriously doubt candidates turn down the offers frequently due to a bad roster or bad ownership.  I mean damn the jets and browns still get top candidates.  I think the issue of us not being and attractive job is massively overblown

It did happen once that I recall, with the Raiders. That's how they wound up with Lane Kiffin.

Only other example I can think of off the top of my head was Jim Johnson when he was the Eagles DC. There were certainly teams that were interested in him as a head coaching prospect but he didn't want the job.

1 minute ago, trueblade said:

Did Dodds pull out because he didn't like our "structure" (Rhule final roster control)?

Never said.

Dodds did say that he would only take a GM job he believed was the absolute perfect fit because he wanted that to be his only job for the rest of his career. Hard to believe working under Matt Rhule would fit that description.

Of course, now his current job might be in danger.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Also most open jobs have bad roasters, that is usually the main reason they have an opening to start with.

Does the occasional guy turn down a HC gig for various reasons, yes, but this idea that our roster situation will prevent us from finding a good candidate is laughable.

We might pick he wrong guy, but it won't be because we don't' have enough choices.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I got that. I'm just not familiar with anyone declining the head coaching job.

Declining the interview is basically the same thing. 

Leftwich did interview with Jacksonville and pulled out of the running when the second round of interviews came.

McDaniels accepted and then famously backed out.

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Leftwich did interview with Jacksonville and pulled out of the running when the second round of interviews came.

The Leftwich story was weird. There was talk like he had accepted the job, but then the negotiations broke down. I'd love to know what all went on behind the scenes of that one. What did he want that they weren't willing to give?

McDaniels? I got to believe New England promised him he'd be Belichick's heir apparent but he ultimately got tired of waiting.

He actually had a least a decent chance to have been our coach instead of Rhule but Belichick forced him to stick around and delay his interview to finish up some bullsh-t assignment. It's easy to think them screwing him out of that chance might have been his last straw.

Edited by Mr. Scot

10 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The Leftwich story was weird. There was talk like he had accepted the job, but then the negotiations broke down. I'd love to know what all went on behind the scenes of that one. What did he want that they weren't willing to give?

McDaniels? I got to believe New England promised him he'd be Belichick's heir apparent but he ultimately got tired of waiting.

He actually had a least a decent chance to have been our coach instead of Rhule but Belichick forced him to stick around and delay his interview to finish up some bullsh-t assignment. It's easy to think them screwing him out of that chance might have been his last straw.

Here again everyone is talking about the rare exception.  For every McDaniel there are 10 guys out there that would take the job.

If we don't find a good coach its not going to be because we have no good candidates, its going to be because we picked the wrong one.

2 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Here again everyone is talking about the rare exception.  For every McDaniel there are 10 guys out there that would take the job.

If we don't find a good coach its not going to be because we have no good candidates, its going to be because we picked the wrong one.

TBD. Good candidates don't typically gravitate towards dumpster fire organizations.