• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Spencer Rattler ? Write up by Daniel Kelly article from Aug 31, 2022

raleigh-panther

15 minutes ago, Snake said:

He was good enough to kick your teams butt in your own house. 🤣😂 Don't be salty he owned your defense in the second quarter. 

There is nothing salty in that post.  You just looking for it and trying to manifest it.  

I said he played good.  But 1 great game and 1 good games doesn't erase 2 overall bad years.  Be l like DJU throwing 4 TDs and for 400 yards the next two games (ACC and then the bowl).  That's not going to erase his history the last 2 seasons.

Gamecocks special teams was HUGE that game.  Not enough being said post game about it.   And not just the two takeaways.  I mean those were HUGE.  Game sealing one and the one coming off the safety.   But field position.  Clemson had 5 possessions that started inside their own 10.   7 additional drives that started at or inside the 25.   

Not sure how giving props to their ST unit is being salty 

Just now, CRA said:

There is nothing salty in that post.  You just looking for it and trying to manifest it.  

I said he played good.  But 1 great game and 1 good games doesn't erase 2 overall bad years.  Be l like DJU throwing 5 TDs and for 400 yards the next two games (ACC and then the bowl).  That's not going to erase his history the last 2 seasons.

Gamecocks special teams was HUGE that game.  Not enough being said post game about it.   And not just the two takeaways.  I mean those were HUGE.  Game sealing one and the one coming off the safety.   But position.  Clemson had 5 possessions that started inside their own 10.   7 additional drives that started at or inside the 25.   

Not sure how giving props to their ST unit is being salty 

We didn't kick your ass because of special teams. We kicked your ass because Rattler pulled it together in the second half and made some NFL type plays. Football is a team sport but you have to have a QB to win. Y'all were the 8th ranked team in the country and had us beat talent wise 3 to 1. Without Rattler you would have won easy. 

Gamecock fan here so take this with a grain of salt but I've watched him a little this year (not all the games).

Rattler 100% has an NFL arm, I'll start there. He can drive the football over the middle of the field or with precision to the sidelines outside the numbers. Gets rid of the ball quickly and decisively and the most impressive trait I've noticed with him is his ball placement, his receivers are in good YAC opportunities because of that and will directly translate to NFL level. His deep ball is not bad but has been especially on in the last 2 games this season, which brings me to my next point...

He's a hot and cold player. He certainly has some cockiness and moxie to him and the more confident he is in himself, the better he plays. He makes awful decisions too much, trying to force the issue at times and has terrible turnovers. He's certainly not afraid of any throw, but he needs to decipher the good from bad better especially if he wants to succeed at the NFL level. 

Rattler has issues with blitzes up the middle, his eyes drop and he ditches the pocket immediately and try play backyard football outside the pocket which he is certainly comfortable with. I'd like to see him stand tall and deliver a strike more or try to evade pressure in the pocket with better footwork. This can be taught and he actually does have a better pocket presence once he trusts the O-line to play better which brings me to my last point...

What the actual fudge changed in the last two games against #5 Tenn and #8 Clemson? That's the information that NFL scouts will get that we don't have access to. This offense was straight up dysfunctional and borderline unwatchable for most of this season. Gamecock fans wanted Marcus Satterfield's head on a spike until the last two games, then Rhule just saved everyone the confusion by hiring him as his new OC at Nebraska. But really... did Freddie Kitchens call plays the last two games? Did Beamer finally get on his butt about the offense behind closed doors and told him to simplify the playbook? It's the biggest question for SC fans but regardless Spencer Rattler played on a whole other stream of consciousness at the QB position and for that Gamecock nation thanks him. 

I would certainly take a flier on him, he's got some talent in there somewhere but likely needs to grow up a little bit and would be a QB guys like to play for. I have no idea if he would be a good leader for an NFL franchise but he can grow into one certainly. 

• Pie 4

1 minute ago, Panthering said:

Gamecock fan here so take this with a grain of salt but I've watched him a little this year (not all the games).

Rattler 100% has an NFL arm, I'll start there. He can drive the football over the middle of the field or with precision to the sidelines outside the numbers. Gets rid of the ball quickly and decisively and the most impressive trait I've noticed with him is his ball placement, his receivers are in good YAC opportunities because of that and will directly translate to NFL level. His deep ball is not bad but has been especially on in the last 2 games this season, which brings me to my next point...

He's a hot and cold player. He certainly has some cockiness and moxie to him and the more confident he is in himself, the better he plays. He makes awful decisions too much, trying to force the issue at times and has terrible turnovers. He's certainly not afraid of any throw, but he needs to decipher the good from bad better especially if he wants to succeed at the NFL level. 

Rattler has issues with blitzes up the middle, his eyes drop and he ditches the pocket immediately and try play backyard football outside the pocket which he is certainly comfortable with. I'd like to see him stand tall and deliver a strike more or try to evade pressure in the pocket with better footwork. This can be taught and he actually does have a better pocket presence once he trusts the O-line to play better which brings me to my last point...

What the actual fudge changed in the last two games against #5 Tenn and #8 Clemson? That's the information that NFL scouts will get that we don't have access to. This offense was straight up dysfunctional and borderline unwatchable for most of this season. Gamecock fans wanted Marcus Satterfield's head on a spike until the last two games, then Rhule just saved everyone the confusion by hiring him as his new OC at Nebraska. But really... did Freddie Kitchens call plays the last two games? Did Beamer finally get on his butt about the offense behind closed doors and told him to simplify the playbook? It's the biggest question for SC fans but regardless Spencer Rattler played on a whole other stream of consciousness at the QB position and for that Gamecock nation thanks him. 

I would certainly take a flier on him, he's got some talent in there somewhere but likely needs to grow up a little bit and would be a QB guys like to play for. I have no idea if he would be a good leader for an NFL franchise but he can grow into one certainly. 

Good info. The Clemsuck fans will rip it apart but they are just salty. I really hope he returns because he will benefit a bunch with another year to perfect his craft and prove he can be consistent. Also

South-Carolina-QB-Spencer-Rattler-Does-His-Best-Joe-Burrow-Impression-With-Victory-Cigar-After-Beati-1024x579.jpg

2 minutes ago, Snake said:

We didn't kick your ass because of special teams. We kicked your ass because Rattler pulled it together in the second half and made some NFL type plays. Football is a team sport but you have to have a QB to win. Y'all were the 8th ranked team in the country and had us beat talent wise 3 to 1. Without Rattler you would have won easy. 

I mean, if you want to downplay how impactful ST was in that game have it.   

12 minutes ago, Panthering said:

I'd say weak secondaries paired with a staff willing to throw caution to the wind (play riskier football) had a fair amount to do with his production the last 2 games.    And it worked out for them.   

I'm sure if you did that over the course of a season with Rattler you get a lot more bad outcomes.    Fine line between ballsy and dumb.  Outcome generally decides. 

full disclosure...i grew up a clemson fan. i grew up hating the gamecocks in the process.

i saw some people talking about how well he did against Tenn. after he and USC just weren't that good to that point. 

i thought it had to be a fluke. like most others, i just don't like the kid. i think he's a punk and i have to admit that what he showed us in that netflix show wasn't good. that is what cancer in a team looks like.

i watched that clemson game thinking that it was clemson's right out of the gate. 

but rattler had me rattled the whole game. he kept doing stuff that just pissed me off because he looked so good doing it. rattler killed it. 

did something happen and he turned a corner? who knows. but what i saw that game and what i saw from him in the bits of the Tennessee game i watched, i couldn't help but wonder how well he'd do here.

i still think he's a punk and could be problems for whatever team he goes to, but what i saw him do on that field....i don't know. if he can do that on the regular, it makes the jackass part of him a bit more tolerable.

i'm not saying yes by any means, but my no has gotten a bit softer.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

I'd say weak secondaries paired with a staff willing to throw caution to the wind (play riskier football) had a fair amount to do with his production the last 2 games.    And it worked out for them.   

I'm sure if you did that over the course of a season with Rattler you get a lot more bad outcomes.    Fine line between ballsy and dumb.  Outcome generally decides. 

same can be said for most gunslingers. 

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

Wow you're bias is crazy. One point you're saying ST won those games and in another hand we are playing risky football. Which is it? Because you don't get good field position playing risky. 🤦‍♂️

25 minutes ago, Snake said:

Looks like someone is a clemsuck fan. Get over it. The kid has talent it's just raw talent. 

I could care less about Clemson.

Sounds more like you are just another clueless college homer. 

Rattler's odds of getting into the NFL completely revolve around him improving a TON next season because he was not good this past season outside one game against Tenn.

• Pie 1

Just now, rayzor said:

same can be said for most gunslingers. 

absolutely.  

gunslingers are fun to watch.   Because they lead to exciting football.  Both the the good and bad variety.    But that's the catch with them.  Whatever there good is....they are over time going to bring equally bad play.  Rattler is a perfect example of that.  Our own PJ Walker, Baker, etc are versions of that too. 

4 minutes ago, rayzor said:

full disclosure...i grew up a clemson fan. i grew up hating the gamecocks in the process.

i saw some people talking about how well he did against Tenn. after he and USC just weren't that good to that point. 

i thought it had to be a fluke. like most others, i just don't like the kid. i think he's a punk and i have to admit that what he showed us in that netflix show wasn't good. that is what cancer in a team looks like.

i watched that clemson game thinking that it was clemson's right out of the gate. 

but rattler had me rattled the whole game. he kept doing stuff that just pissed me off because he looked so good doing it. rattler killed it. 

did something happen and he turned a corner? who knows. but what i saw that game and what i saw from him in the bits of the Tennessee game i watched, i couldn't help but wonder how well he'd do here.

i still think he's a punk and could be problems for whatever team he goes to, but what i saw him do on that field....i don't know. if he can do that on the regular, it makes the jackass part of him a bit more tolerable.

i'm not saying yes by any means, but my no has gotten a bit softer.

People thought Cam was a punk too. He isn't ready for the NFL and would be better served coming back to USC. His decision making isn't up to snuff yet but he does make the players around him better. Plenty of Jack asses in the league like Brady and Rodgers but they win and that's all that matters in the NFL. 

10 minutes ago, Snake said:

Wow you're bias is crazy. One point you're saying ST won those games and in another hand we are playing risky football. Which is it? Because you don't get good field position playing risky. 🤦‍♂️

In my post I said multiple things go into winning a football game.  I'd rank ST play as #1.   It set the whole game up for y'all to have a chance to pull the upset and you did.  Gamecock special teams was freaking great on Saturday.  They weren't playing risky.  They were playing great.    Maybe you just have a Rattler bias where you can't handle people giving props elsewhere. 

as far as risky football? Yeah, teams with really nothing to lose can play risky football.  That's not an insult.  Gamecocks should of done it vs Tenn and Clemson.   And yeah, going for it on 4th down on your own 30 yard line in the first quarter, going for it on 4th down at the 4? That's risky football that teams playing with house money where an L is expected (and you got nothing at stake) can do.   And it worked out.  Ballsy vs dumb.  It's a fine line.  It worked out so Beamer was brilliant.  Risky football can just as easily go the other way.