• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The right coaching

Mr. Scot

On 12/7/2022 at 10:41 AM, kungfoodude said:

I am genuinely perplexed by this "development" idea on Goff. Can someone point out why this season he seems more "developed" than in previous seasons??

Statistically, he is basically doing the exact same thing he has done his entire NFL career.

and we have a winner^

I think they are just trying to make it into a feel good story, discarded QB goes to terrible team and has some success, makes for a nice story.

and for those that say stats don't tell the entire story, check out his PFF grade (which is an eye test btw).

• Beer 1

16 hours ago, Seltzer said:

The fact that $25M for a QB is a bargain still seems insane, but you are 100% correct in terms of market value.

Just a few years ago we were grimacing at the idea that Cam might cost us over $20m--I think, however, after the Russell Wilsons and the Matt Staffords put teams in financial ruin for a half decade or more, teams will reconsider giving one player 25% of the cap.

• Beer 1

I don't think enough people are talking about what a colossal flop the Raiders pulled off.  I have to admit I thought it was another example of how rigged the NFL has become but nobody is that good at being bad.  Josh McDaniels gets a lot of the blame, of course.  But what was their DC doing calling man defense on that TD play?  Did you see the number of stupid penalties called on the Raiders?  For coaching to work the players have to buy in and they have not done it with McDaniels.

They have done it with Wilkes.  "The answer is on the roster".  Bring in a OC like Reich and roll with it.  If you don't go into next season with Wilkes it is a total tear down or nothing.  No way should we enter next season with Wilkes being demoted to DC.  He deserves better and the chemistry with any new HC (and current players) would be toxic.

On 12/7/2022 at 9:25 AM, Mr. Scot said:

Goff was playing better than Stafford before he was hurt.

But setting Stafford aside, the fact that Goff is playing well at all given his history is a testament to the power of coaching.

Stafford has been hurt since the offseason, then he got placed behind a pretty bad offensive line and zero running game. Goff is healthy behind a good o line with some support in the running game. He's been not great against above average defenses.