• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Apple pulls out. So does Disney/ESPN

PanthersATL

Best solution IMO if the NFL is imposing all these restrictions because they are ass backward

Satellite is officially dead! Can't wait to cancel for my restaurant in January. Youtube TV is 80 to 90 times better as as service than Direct TV. Gone are the antiquated searching through a long list of text channels to find the game you need.

18 minutes ago, amcoolio said:

Satellite is officially dead! Can't wait to cancel for my restaurant in January. Youtube TV is 80 to 90 times better as as service than Direct TV. Gone are the antiquated searching through a long list of text channels to find the game you need.

Still no word on how the new plan will work for commercial establishments.  There currently is a limit of three concurrent devices on YouTube streaming accounts, which will likely continue.

While Amazon Prime allows for the Thurs games to be viewed in bars, there has not been an announcement for YouTube yet.

DirecTV has been negotiating separately to maintain the restaurant/bar piece.

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep, this whole process playing out pretty much confirms that the days of satellite and cable TV are numbered. Hell, I haven't had it in years. It's basically going the way of the home phone. You pretty much only have it if you're a boomer and it's all you've ever known.

I haven't had cable TV in a decade.  I dropped satellite TV 3 decades ago. Where have y'all been? I'm over 60 by the way.

• The D 1

10 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I haven't had cable TV in a decade.  I dropped satellite TV 3 decades ago. Where have y'all been? I'm over 60 by the way.

I kept satellite in CO because I was so far out in the boonies that my internet speeds were too shoddy to rely on consistent streaming. Dropped it in NC even though I'm still out in the boonies and my speeds still aren't great but as long as I'm not streaming on multiple devices at once it's doable. Still waiting on Elon to quit fuging around with tanking Twitter and get me some damn Starlink. Been on the waiting list for over two years and had the date pushed back three times.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I kept satellite in CO because I was so far out in the boonies that my internet speeds were too shoddy to rely on consistent streaming. Dropped it in NC even though I'm still out in the boonies and my speeds still aren't great but as long as I'm not streaming on multiple devices at once it's doable. Still waiting on Elon to quit fuging around with tanking Twitter and get me some damn Starlink. Been on the waiting list for over two years and had the date pushed back three times.

That is the kicker with streaming services.  You need a good internet connection.  That will be the only thing that keeps the cable companies alive.  You need wired connections because wireless just can't deliver the speeds needed for HD streams. Especially in remote areas.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

That is the kicker with streaming services.  You need a good internet connection.  That will be the only thing that keeps the cable companies alive.  You need wired connections because wireless just can't deliver the speeds needed for HD streams. Especially in remote areas.

I'm over a mile off of a public maintained road. Luckily, the people who built this house had a line ran to it but that was in 2011. I'm maxed out at 25mbps but typically see speeds roughly half that. I called to see about upgrading the line and they came out and the guy said it's gonna be a five figure number. Interested? If you are, I'll do the actual measurements and write out a full quote but just spit balling it I'm gonna say probably $15-20k and if you know you aren't gonna do it I'd rather not go through the hassle of doing an actual measurement. Nah man, I'm good. 😂

31 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep, this whole process playing out pretty much confirms that the days of satellite and cable TV are numbered. Hell, I haven't had it in years. It's basically going the way of the home phone. You pretty much only have it if you're a boomer and it's all you've ever known.

For now.

As we've talked about over multiple months in (Nerdvana?) that other streaming thread, there are discussions in play for the content providers (Disney, Netflix, Paramount+ etc....) teaming up to offer a single streaming package of all their channels together.   

Rumored initial price point is $100/month (depending on the participants, of course).  This would be separate from your Internet connectivity bill.  So you may still be looking at $150-$200/month for your new "cable package".   *shrug*

Happy to continue the non-NFL-related streaming convo over in that other thread so as not to hijack the topic here.

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm over a mile off of a public maintained road. Luckily, the people who built this house had a line ran to it but that was in 2011. I'm maxed out at 25mbps but typically see speeds roughly half that. I called to see about upgrading the line and they came out and the guy said it's gonna be a five figure number. Interested? If you are, I'll do the actual measurements and write out a full quote but just spit balling it I'm gonna say probably $15-20k and if you know you aren't gonna do it I'd rather not go through the hassle of doing an actual measurement. Nah man, I'm good. 😂

Damn!  That sucks. I live in Haywood County and we either pay Charter for the internet service or a wireless service.  I get 200+ mbps easily here but I'm not that far out from the control station even though I live in a rural area.  AT&T is a joke.

• Beer 1

I'm already paying $80 for internet and $80 for YouTube TV. I'm guessing my YouTube TV bill is now going to go over $100 to pay for this.

Edited to add that even at that speed I need to use a cat5 cable to stream HD properly.  

Edited by Jon Snow

10 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Damn!  That sucks. I live in Haywood County and we either pay Charter for the internet service or a wireless service.  I get 200+ mbps easily here but I'm not that far out from the control station even though I live in a rural area.  AT&T is a joke.

I can see one other house from mine and I can only see it when the leaves are off. Behind me to the south is literally just miles of untouched wilderness. 

Screenshot_20221222-151011.thumb.png.0302c8509e6437ddb1042f67e7339d67.png

When I go home I want to be able to forget the rest of the world exists.