• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

STEVE WILKS - FINAL POLL THREAD

Steve Wilks  

284 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Steve Wilks as HC in 2023

2. 2. Grade Wilks as interem

6 hours ago, rayzor said:

I don't know what to think. 

I love how he turned around the psyche of this team and I think he's got the ability to keep players charged up and fighting. 

Had he started the year as HC, we would have had a comfortable seat in the playoffs and that's even taking into consideration the QB merry-go-round we've had. 

But that Steelers game and that bucs game makes me doubt he can take this team to the top.. of course if our two best cornerbacks aren't out we would have beat the bucs. 

Also, the history interim coaches have when given the full time gig hasn't been great. But I also don't think history determines the future. We write our own history. 

I'm just going to ride the fence on this one. 

I think we'd be ok either way. 

I'd give him an A on the season, not because of where he finished up, but because of the way he turned this team around after Rhule. 

I'd like to see what he does with a whole off-season. 

Essentially if his team didn't win the line of scrimmage he lost the game. He needed a Plan B to impress me. 

The only exception was the Saints game, which was a death struggle between two bad teams. 

16 minutes ago, mcsmoak said:

Can see it coming a mile away… Wilks will get hired and we’ll be promised an exciting offense under a new offensive coordinator.   Shortly after, Leftwich will be announced as OC after being canned by TB.  Holcomb will then be announced as full time DC.  We’ll start the season 2-7, and finish 7-10.  Media will say how great Wilks did navigating through some bad breaks early in the season and finishing on a 3 game winning streak (vs bad teams that dropped us from 3 to 11 in draft order).   Wilks will take the winning streak into 2024 with a lot of hype and fall flat on his face.  Tepper will fire him week 5 and begin yet another brutal, pathetic attempt of a coaching search 

I would say this is nonsense but I can't help but think that this is also very possible.   *gulp*

2 hours ago, Mage said:

You are describing Mike Singletary.  A rah-rah coach who can get his players to play hard but doesn't have the expertise to take a team over the top.  49ers were 5-11 in 2007 and 2-5 in 2008 under Mike Nolan.  Singletary takes over, they go 5-4, and would have challenged for a playoff spot in a terrible division (Cardinals won it at 8-8) if Singletary was HC all year despite the inconsistency at QB.  Again... sound familiar?  And everyone thought Singletary was going to be the next great coach and pushed for the 49ers to keep him, and he kept a team with a very strong roster mediocre.  Singletary had no connections, so his choice for OC was the AWFUL Jimmy Rave.  There is no way anyone can convince me Steve Wilks will be able to bring an up-and-coming or established play-caller here.  He just ain't been around the block because he's mainly been with Rivera.  Wilks is literally the understudy of Ron Rivera... who we all pushed out of here.  

Don't second guess yourself.  Wilks did a great job this season, I ain't gonna hate on that.  But he's not the guy that is about to turnaround a franchise that hasn't made the playoffs since 2017.  And definitely not the guy to develop a franchise QB.

Wilks is much more sane than Singletary. I'm not going to put them into the same category. I don't think it's fair to Wilks. He may not be the best HC that we could hire, but he's better than Singletary. 

And it wouldn't be him developing a QB, though he'd be responsible for it. It would be the job of the OC and the hope is that whoever is the OC would be qualified to develop whoever the QB is.

That said, his OC hire is where I have the biggest issue. I just don't trust him to make a stellar hire there.

it is absolutely hilarious that a win in one of the most bland games of football ever put to television was being pushed as a necessary evaluation point for Wilks

if they had informed Wilks of his future before the game a few starters could’ve avoided injury

2 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

I would say this is nonsense but I can't help but think that this is also very possible.   *gulp*

Don't you think he's better than Rhule (pros that is)?  Best find a QB, the coach is kind of irrelevant since hiring an unproven commodity other Harbaugh is a huge unknown.