• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Eating my crow on Pinero

YourLastThought

6 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

There's only 1 Justin Tucker and we don't have him.

The overreaction to dump Eddie after Atlanta was ridiculous. He had hit everything before that game.

Had he continued to struggle the next week, or shown inconsistency moving forward, he should have gotten the ax, but he did great after that. 

I personally think we keep Eddie since Zane has a continued history of injury... and he's a kicker... That's kind of terrible considering no one ever touches him. 

Yeah, this is Pinero and it's not really that close. Zane was a solid kicker but Eddy just put up one of the best kicking years in franchise history.

1 hour ago, SingleMalt said:

I’ll eat the crow and was all for the tar and feathers after the Atlanta game. I do know this, which ever one of the two we keep….will be the wrong one. It’s the Panthers way.

Gano has been lights out since we kicked him to the curb. 

It's a Panthers tradition at this point. The only one we haven't regretted is Joey fuging Slye.

• Pie 1

I still don't get the hate that everyone has for him. He honestly couldn't have done any better than he did this year, for a guy we literally signed off his couch. He was arguably the best kicker in the NFL this year.

Sure, the ATL choke sucked, but the dude should have never been put in the spot of hitting a game winning 48 yard PAT (which people think is a gimme for some reason...)

If there is a reason we want to dump him, it's because I don't think he has a super strong leg on him and am not sure I trust him beyond 50. I'm not sure how many kicks (if any) he made beyond 50 yards and I feel like we punted a few times on FGs that would have been about 55 yards.

That being said, it should be an open competition next year between the 2 and hopefully we can get some draft capital for the 1 we decide to cut. It's honestly a sad state of affairs when our kicker and punter were probably 2 of our top 5 players this season... We need to hit on our next 2 drafts (assuming we don't go QB next draft since Young, Stroud, and Levis are guaranteed gone by 9) to hopefully get back into the relevant territory.

6 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Gano has been lights out since we kicked him to the curb. 

It's a Panthers tradition at this point. The only one we haven't regretted is Joey fuging Slye.

As good as Gano has been, I can't blame the team not wanting to pay him 4-5 mill a year (or whatever he is getting).

And Gano has always been a choke artist on important kicks. It wouldn't surprise me if he chokes a kick against the Vikings that costs the Giants a win.

On 1/12/2023 at 3:57 PM, Day1PanthersFan said:

Literally nothing has changed, so what he made some low pressure kicks, he is a liability when the game is on the line , and should have been cut after the Atlanta chokes 

The fact he hit a game winner against the Saints to win kind of shoots holes in your whole premise.