• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New Coach Thread 2: Electric Boogaloo

Ricky Spanish

3 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

That's what it looks like. I think Albright is wrong about Denver being the only ones interested but I don't think Tepper is all that interested if that makes sense. 

Person suggested Tepper needed to be sure he wasn't bidding against himself. If Albright is correct, sounds like that might be a caution for Denver now.

• Beer 2

If your tepper and you want a hc with experience and an offensive mind

You've got Payton, Reich and Caldwell. 

If just experience, add Wilks. 

Unless you convince Steichen to let the team hire your staff (fangio) and such then I think the list is probably from the top set of coaches. 

If Steichen is ok with his OC and DC being former HC and being hired by the team, then he's probably the pick. 

• Poo 1

Just now, BrisbanePanther said:

Wasn't it literally the equivalent of a photo-finish with the last second call to Tepper to see if he'd match Cleveland's offer? It's understandable that it was missed. Everyone was shocked at Cleveland--no one called that one.

We were actually eliminated first In the final four (don't remember if it was before or after Cleveland was brought back in).

The call to Tepper did happen though.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Person suggested Tepper needed to be sure he wasn't bidding against himself. If Albright is correct, sounds like that might be a caution for Denver now.

The problem for Tepper I think is not the draft picks but the 110m contract over 5 years. If he gets past that, I wouldn't be surprised that he's highly interested and Payton moves to round two

Heck, if there are some young proven coaches who will not require $20m and 2 first rounders, I say go for it.  Look at the following:  Shanahan, Sirianni, McVay, Z. Taylor, Saleh--impressive.  All 43 or younger.  Heck, lifelong coordinators like Daboll, McDermott, and Campbell (all in their late 40s) are impressive so far.

I would say that the NFL has changed more in the past 10 years than any other decade in its history--maybe an older coach is not the best answer.

• Beer 1

Just now, carpanfan96 said:

The problem for Tepper I think is not the draft picks but the 110m contract over 5 years. If he gets past that, I wouldn't be surprised that he's highly interested and Payton moves to round two

Actually, most of the speculation suggests the problem is the amount of power Payton wants.

• Beer 2

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

We were actually eliminated first In the final four (don't remember if it was before or after Cleveland was brought back in).

The call to Tepper did happen though.

Yea I don't think Watson wanted to go to Cleveland and when he got what he was looking for his agent called Carolina (probably the other teams as well) and went well.... 😂😂😂😂

• Pie 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Actually, most of the speculation suggests the problem is the amount of power Payton wants.

If he wanted the power everyone thinks he wants,  he wouldn't be flying to Arizona and interviewing with a team that just hired a new GM that is going to have roster control.  

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Aside from the situation in New England, when has giving the coach complete oversight been successful?  Not a critical question--I really do not know the answer.

Just now, MHS831 said:

Aside from the situation in New England, when has giving the coach complete oversight been successful?  Not a critical question--I really do not know the answer.

Depends on the coach...

It worked with Carroll, but Carroll's not a control freak.

Obviously, it didn't work with Rhule.

Beyond that, there aren't a whole lot of teams using that model anymore.