• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB breakdowns by Josh McCown

Martin

5 hours ago, 96Bravo said:

I hear ya'...On the other hand, CJ had a depleted and ineffective running game heading into the Peach Bowl. Lost his best TE Stover in the first half. Then lost Marvin Harrison Jr in the second half. Yet,still...

He lost Marvin Harrison JR. with about 40 seconds left in the third quarter with Ohio State up 14 entering the 4th quarter. Then rest of the way Ohio State scored 3 points in 4th quarter, allowing Georgia to come back. OSU kicker missed a GW 50 field goal.

Harrison played 3/4 of the game and im sure if he was able to play in the 4th quarter, Ohio State would have won outright without needing to kick a FG because it's much easier to play defense when opposing teams top target is out of the picture.

1 minute ago, pantherpain said:

Because its the truth. I think its more his build than just his height.

That is a myth.  Bryce played overall against better competition and dominated from day 1.  Was injured and missed 1 game.  In college.  In the SEC.  Young’s the pick

3 minutes ago, Shocker said:

That is a myth.  Bryce played overall against better competition and dominated from day 1.  Was injured and missed 1 game.  In college.  In the SEC.  Young’s the pick

I agree Bryce would be my pick also, but I keep hearing he weights 195 pounds  soaking  wet he can't  take a hit and so on, I think he's worth the risk.

4 minutes ago, pantherpain said:

I agree Bryce would be my pick also, but I keep hearing he weights 195 pounds  soaking  wet he can't  take a hit and so on, I think he's worth the risk.

I take Young, he is an amazing QB.  Will Levis has missed time and had injuries etc.  Why is he considered as more durable?  History says different 

7 minutes ago, Shocker said:

I take Young, he is an amazing QB.  Will Levis has missed time and had injuries etc.  Why is he considered as more durable?  History says different 

Because Levis is 6'4 and built like a tank, but that goes to show size doesn't stop injury. And the way he runs is dangerous, someone needs to tell him to slow down flying leaps.

15 hours ago, Shocker said:

Also, for me is the consistency in evaluating both prospects. If CJ's game against Georgia is evidence that he will use his athleticism more to create plays and perform better under pressure (because I can gladly admit on script with a clean pocket - he is the best QB in the draft) 

Then Bryce's performance against Georgia should hold equal weight as it included Jalen Carter, a healthy Nolan Smith, Kelee Ringo, and 5 other defenders that went into the first round last year. 

"The Bama signal-caller took a sack on just 12.5% of his pressured dropbacks in college, an extremely low rate, while his 69.6 pressured-passing grade and 9.3 yards per attempt while under pressure both ranked second at the position."

Screenshot_20230405_204058_Gallery.thumb.jpg.4177a0f28ff31894b2ca07c368c2cd74.jpg

If we're excluding drafting a QB at 1 based on how they react to being pressured we probably wouldn't have even traded up in the first place. And to Young's under pressure numbers how many of those plays did he drop back several steps and dance around the pocket for 5 seconds plus? That's not happening in the NFL.

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

46 minutes ago, gmonjimbo said:

Also, for me is the consistency in evaluating both prospects. If CJ's game against Georgia is evidence that he will use his athleticism more to create plays and perform better under pressure (because I can gladly admit on script with a clean pocket - he is the best QB in the draft) 

Then Bryce's performance against Georgia should hold equal weight as it included Jalen Carter, a healthy Nolan Smith, Kelee Ringo, and 5 other defenders that went into the first round last year. 

"The Bama signal-caller took a sack on just 12.5% of his pressured dropbacks in college, an extremely low rate, while his 69.6 pressured-passing grade and 9.3 yards per attempt while under pressure both ranked second at the position."

Screenshot_20230405_204058_Gallery.thumb.jpg.4177a0f28ff31894b2ca07c368c2cd74.jpg

Young was an amazing college QB. If we pick him I hope it translates as well as most people say. I would be ecstatic to be wrong if that is the case.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, frankw said:

If we're excluding drafting a QB at 1 based on how they react to being pressured we probably wouldn't have even traded up in the first place. And to Young's under pressure numbers how many of those plays did he drop back several steps and dance around the pocket for 5 seconds plus? That's not happening in the NFL.

No, it's part of a QBs profile that you use to rank the prospects. I'm sure they are evaluating all the variables that impact their performance which will include pressure. 

Also, you have a habit of turning anything that Bryce excels at into a caricature - he dances around in the pocket and throws the ball up for grabs 

His frame is a concern. However, I have to go with his injury history - surgeries, missed games, etc. He's missed one game as a starter and has no reported surgeries.  I'm sure the teams will have his complete medical history, even when he stubbed his toe. 

My input doesn't matter as I'm not part of the Panthers brain trust. Yet until the pick is announced I would take the risk on Bryce because I've consistently listened or read that his tape is better or he is graded as the top QB, even on the majority of mocks that list CJ at 1. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, gmonjimbo said:

No, it's part of a QBs profile that you use to rank the prospects. I'm sure they are evaluating all the variables that impact their performance which will include pressure. 

Also, you have a habit of turning anything that Bryce excels at into a caricature - he dances around in the pocket and throws the ball up for grabs 

His frame is a concern. However, I have to go with his injury history - surgeries, missed games, etc. He's missed one game as a starter and has no reported surgeries.  I'm sure the teams will have his complete medical history, even when he stubbed his toe. 

My input doesn't matter as I'm not part of the Panthers brain trust. Yet until the pick is announced I would take the risk on Bryce because I've consistently listened or read that his tape is better or he is graded as the top QB, even on the majority of mocks that list CJ at 1.

We are just offering our opinions to pass the time.

In my mind excelling at scrambling in college and the NFL are different animals. Yes there are traits both he and Stroud have that directly translate but that's the one I'm less impressed with overall because due to the fact he would he the smallest starting QB in the NFL it will not be a feature of his game if the braintrust tab him for the top pick. If they value their job security they will have him keeping that to a minimum and keep him relatively clean. We should and will also seek to shore up the oline even more to compensate. Now would NOT be the time to go back to our past approach of thinking the OL is further along than it actually is. I expect moves to solidify our OL depth to be made if he's the pick.

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

10 minutes ago, Martin said:

Young was an amazing college QB. If we pick him I hope it translates as well as most people say. I would be ecstatic to be wrong if that is the case.

I think any of the QBs - Stroud, Young, Richardson even Levis and Hooker that may have me scratching my head will be put in a position to succeed here. 

We just have a difference in who we prefer at 1, which is perfectly fine. 

• Pie 1