• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

John Ellis on Stroud v Young

TheSpecialJuan

Who Will Be The First Pick In The 2023 NFL Draft?

Curt Popejoy Draft Wire
March 27, 2023 2:59 pm ET

The 2023 NFL draft is just a month away and the Carolina Panthers are on the clock. At this point, it feels like a foregone conclusion the Panthers will draft one of the top quarterbacks but don’t think for one second if a good enough offer comes along, Carolina won’t take it.

If the Panthers stay put, Ohio State quarterback C.J. Stroud makes the most sense. He’s the most NFL-ready of this group and his measurables are elite. But if the Panthers chose to trade down a spot or two, all bets are off for that top pick.

• Pie 1

I like Young.  Though I have been a proponent of drafting Stroud, the more I think about it we are going to be drafting Young. 

My concerns are valid.  His size is a factor.  I watched the game where he hurt his shoulder and it wasn't that bad of a hit.  In the NFL those hits will be 10-fold and it worries me that we draft a QB that won't last 4 or 5 seasons.  I do think that Fitterer has to make the O-line a priority every season if we draft Young.  We cannot go into a season with a mediocre or worst O-line.  IT HAS TO BE TOP TIER.

Stroud is more of a Reich kind of QB.  Big, Tall and as the Georgia Game showed, mobile.  Reich likes an RPO type of QB which Stroud is.  However, Young has more intangibles that make it hard to pass on.  You can't overlook his playmaking ability. 

As many of you know, I have been a huge Corral supporter and he will hopefully learn to be a good QB under Reich and McCown.  This former draft pick also gives me reason to believe Young will be our pick.   God knows no one wants him to get hurt and have to find out.  But, Corral could be a strong reason we take Young.  He's young and will get a chance to really develop behind Young.  If Young were to go down we don't have look very far to bring in a QB.  He'll be 3rd on the depth chart but will get a better chance to work with the offense than the farce work he got under Rhule. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

I get it.  It's just playing style.  Running around in the backfield, eyes on back of head, 6th sense type of plays.  It will be interesting to see how it translates without the arm talent.  I mean Young's arm is capable, but definitely not elite.

It's possible. I mean, that's basically Joe Burrow.

4 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I like Young.  Though I have been a proponent of drafting Stroud, the more I think about it we are going to be drafting Young. 

My concerns are valid.  His size is a factor.  I watched the game where he hurt his shoulder and it wasn't that bad of a hit.  In the NFL those hits will be 10-fold and it worries me that we draft a QB that won't last 4 or 5 seasons.  I do think that Fitterer has to make the O-line a priority every season if we draft Young.  We cannot go into a season with a mediocre or worst O-line.  IT HAS TO BE TOP TIER.

Stroud is more of a Reich kind of QB.  Big, Tall and as the Georgia Game showed, mobile.  Reich likes an RPO type of QB which Stroud is.  However, Young has more intangibles that make it hard to pass on.  You can't overlook his playmaking ability. 

As many of you know, I have been a huge Corral supporter and he will hopefully learn to be a good QB under Reich and McCown.  This former draft pick also gives me reason to believe Young will be our pick.   God knows no one wants him to get hurt and have to find out.  But, Corral could be a strong reason we take Young.  He's young and will get a chance to really develop behind Young.  If Young were to go down we don't have look very far to bring in a QB.  He'll be 3rd on the depth chart but will get a better chance to work with the offense than the farce work he got under Rhule. 

Agree with most everything you said but I'm honestly not sure if Corral is in the plans at all.

4 hours ago, frankw said:

He has some of those qualities but i think they are different. It's not an absurd comp though. Burrow is a very good young QB. But two things he is not. 1 a hall of famer and 2 a two time super bowl champion before the age of 28. Young has been compared to everything from that to Steph Curry to Michael Jordan to Bruce Lee. Need I go on?

You seem to be wanting to downplay how good Burrow is, in order to make the Stroud comparison seem less absurd.  Burrow is almost certainly by most accounts the 2nd best QB in the entire league after Mahomes.  He's coming off of two consecutive dominant seasons statistically, while also carrying his team to a back-to-back Super Bowl and AFCCG.  After three seasons has he not already solidified his place as a first ballot HOFer?  Sure...I guess......what a bust lol.  There's no scenario where comparing Young to Mahomes is absurd, but Stroud to Burrow is perfectly reasonable.  Absurd vs. slightly less absurd?  Sure maybe I'll give you that.  And for the record I'm one of those in the "happy with either guy" camp but probably leaning slightly towards Stroud.

Also who is actually saying Bryce is flat out a Mahomes clone?  I usually only see it in the context of comparing very specifically their playmaking/improvisational abilities.

22 hours ago, frankw said:

Alabama and pedestrian in the same sentence is an interesting choice.

It's all a risk no matter how you cut it. Either of the QB's we draft are going to get hit eventually. But if he starts to get banged up and Stroud balls out with the Texans there will be some serious explaining to do 🤷‍♂️

he was throwing to slay boden at the pro day dude runs a 4.66 and was a safety a year ago and will not be drafted, just cause its bama doesnt mean you can assume their good especially with all the NIL poo going on, watch a game before assuming. 2021 was a different story he had jameson williams and won the heisman/sec championship following year was not the same and yes it was a hollowed out roster. cj has two top 10 recievers and couldnt get it done i dont know why yall are acting like this is a shock

Alabama and pedestrian in the same sentence is an interesting choice.

It's all a risk no matter how you cut it. Either of the QB's we draft are going to get hit eventually. But if he starts to get banged up and Stroud balls out with the Texans there will be some serious explaining to do 🤷‍♂️

slim chance cj stroud balls on the texans im willing to believe they dont even take a qb if cj falls to them. bryce could ball anywhere hes more watson than anyone else

• Flames 1

Of course either could get hurt. But only one of them is smaller than most of their own teammates let alone the other rosters we'll be going up against.

to be fair bryce young kept himself more healthy than cj and will levis in college and tua is a terrible comparison kid has an actual compilation of injuries from college none of them had to do with size 

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, MasterAwesome said:

You seem to be wanting to downplay how good Burrow is, in order to make the Stroud comparison seem less absurd.  Burrow is almost certainly by most accounts the 2nd best QB in the entire league after Mahomes.  He's coming off of two consecutive dominant seasons statistically, while also carrying his team to a back-to-back Super Bowl and AFCCG.  After three seasons has he not already solidified his place as a first ballot HOFer?  Sure...I guess......what a bust lol.  There's no scenario where comparing Young to Mahomes is absurd, but Stroud to Burrow is perfectly reasonable.  Absurd vs. slightly less absurd?  Sure maybe I'll give you that.  And for the record I'm one of those in the "happy with either guy" camp but probably leaning slightly towards Stroud.

Also who is actually saying Bryce is flat out a Mahomes clone?  I usually only see it in the context of comparing very specifically their playmaking/improvisational abilities.

Where did you get the word bust from anything I said? He isn't on a hall of fame trajectory just yet. I mean if he is so is Josh Allen. Could they be? Sure. But they are not in the same tier as Mahomes. Sorry that's just reality. You have to win at least one ring. When you get to two that's get another level.

Look man I'm not the one comparing Stroud to everyone from NFL GOAT's to NBA GOAT's to martial arts legends. I'm not trying to compare him to any of that because he has everything to prove still. He or Young could either come out of the gate swinging or they could require a longer adjustment. I think many Panthers fans need to adjust their expectations at least for the first couple of seasons.

26 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Agree with most everything you said but I'm honestly not sure if Corral is in the plans at all.

You've got him under contract for the next 3 seasons.  Wouldn't it behoove us to work with him. It makes zero sense to have a QB on your roster and not develop him.  Look what Washington did when they drafted RGIII.  They also had Cousin and it paid off.  I'm not implying that Corral would be Cousins but we are never going to find out until we give him some work.  It's not all against odd that he could pan out.  

If he plays well than we have a good backup in case Young is as fragile as some believe.  If Young isn't injury prone than we have trade capital.  

22 hours ago, top dawg said:

Reich was never the GM. Even I, who was skeptical or at least underwhelmed by the Reich hire, can't totally blame him for the QBs that he has had to deal with. He was just as much a QB in this league as McCown. I'm not giving McCown kudos for knowing more than Reich about QB decisions.

colts fans say reich chose to stick w wentz and an ancient rivers 

3 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

You've got him under contract for the next 3 seasons.  Wouldn't it behoove us to work with him. It makes zero sense to have a QB on your roster and not develop him.  Look what Washington did when they drafted RGIII.  They also had Cousin and it paid off.  I'm not implying that Corral would be Cousins but we are never going to find out until we give him some work.  It's not all against odd that he could pan out.  

If he plays well than we have a good backup in case Young is as fragile as some believe.  If Young isn't injury prone than we have trade capital.  

I think so. I'd keep him and try to develop him as a backup. I just don't think our new staff sees anything in him. I mean, have they said a single word about the guy? It's like he doesn't exist.