• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Former Duke basketball player "bidding" on the Commanders

Mr. Scot

Something tells me our resident UNC fans might have some fun with this story...

From the article...

Davis also has faced multiple civil lawsuits in the past. For example, Davis and former Duke teammate Christian Laettner were once sued by former NBA great Scottie Pippen for failing to repay a loan in connection with an effort to buy the Memphis Grizzlies.

“I have made business mistakes,” Davis said. “But in terms of character integrity, what I can say is that, unlike most, I didn’t file bankruptcy.”

The aforementioned "business mistakes" have apparently involved taking out loans and not paying them back.

There's also this, in response to suggestions that his backing money was coming from sources in Saudi Arabia...

Ummm...Wow 😬

• Beer 2

Slightly off topic:

With the rate the value of these teams are increasing I am truly surprised Bezos or Mr tesla didnt just plunk down 10 Bill or whatever just to have that in their portfolio. Not like they need the money but there are only 32ish owners in the league and only a handful sole owners of a nfl franchise.  Even if they dont care about football its still an exclusive club and its an incredible investment

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Slightly off topic:

With the rate the value of these teams are increasing I am truly surprised Bezos or Mr tesla didnt just plunk down 10 Bill or whatever just to have that in their portfolio. Not like they need the money but there are only 32ish owners in the league and only a handful sole owners of a nfl franchise.  Even if they dont care about football its still an exclusive club and its an incredible investment

The NFL reportedly badly wants Bezos in the club. Speculation is that the Seattle Seahawks will be up for sale sometime soon and he'll probably go there.

Tepper will likely be sliding down the "richest owners" list a little.

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Slightly off topic:

Valuation will get to the point that no one can afford to buy. What does it matter (outside of yearly revenue)  if the team is worth 40 billion dollars?  How many candidates or even groups will be able to afford to purchase. 

2 minutes ago, toldozer said:

Valuation will get to the point that no one can afford to buy. What does it matter (outside of yearly revenue)  if the team is worth 40 billion dollars?  How many candidates or even groups will be able to afford to purchase. 

If it got to that point, you're probably talking groups rather than individuals.

I suppose potentially corporations but I don't know how the NFL would feel about that.

8 minutes ago, toldozer said:

its at the point now where groups are forming to be able to afford a team.   Only a handful of people in the world that can simply pay cash, as tepper did, for a team outright.

If bezos or musk want in they could simply double any offer and pay in cash which I find strange that they dont. 

13 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The NFL reportedly badly wants Bezos in the club. Speculation is that the Seattle Seahawks will be up for sale sometime soon and he'll probably go there.

Tepper will likely be sliding down the "richest owners" list a little.

Maybe but the skins are for sale now and he has obvious ties to the dc area.  I think a talking head I heard say at one point the washington franchise value was the most valuable in all of sports

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Maybe but the skins are for sale now and he has obvious ties to the dc area.  I think a talking head I heard say at one point the washington franchise value was the most valuable in all of sports

Snyder reportedly blocked him from bidding on the Commanders.

Granted the circumstances are odd, but apparently he still had that right.

Edited by Mr. Scot