• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It’s not going to be cheap to retain Derrick Big Baby Brown

TheBigKat

On 7/25/2023 at 11:23 PM, Stuart Smith said:

He would not have been there in round 2. 

I’m aware, I simply said it’s where I valued him. We always knew he was a DL that is a nonfactor in the pass game. It’s hard for me to value that in the first round.

I wanted Lamb or Wirfs the night of that draft.

10 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

I’m aware, I simply said it’s where I valued him. We always knew he was a DL that is a nonfactor in the pass game. It’s hard for me to value that in the first round.

I wanted Lamb or Wirfs the night of that draft.

I tend to lean toward your opinion. I was never big on the pick. It reminded me of what we did in 2016 when we drafted Vernon Butler in round 1, another DT who wasn't a dominant factor in the passing game.

I agree that we need to see how 2023 plays out to see if DB is the guy we want to stick with for the rest of the decade. I hope he balls out.

But, I do have one question for those who feel like we "must" retain him. If he had not been drafted by us in 2020 and was scheduled to hit the market after the 2024 season...based on what you have seen so far... would you want to spend 15-20 mil per season to acquire him as a FA? I'd have to say no.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

If he had not been drafted by us in 2020 and was scheduled to hit the market after the 2024 season...based on what you have seen so far... would you want to spend 15-20 mil per season to acquire him as a FA? I'd have to say no.

He has been a so so player on crappy teams with crappy coaches.  This year is the test.  Hope he lives up to what many think is his potential.  Besides being in a better situation now he is playing for MONEY!  

• Pie 1

22 hours ago, SCO96 said:

I tend to lean toward your opinion. I was never big on the pick. It reminded me of what we did in 2016 when we drafted Vernon Butler in round 1, another DT who wasn't a dominant factor in the passing game.

I agree that we need to see how 2023 plays out to see if DB is the guy we want to stick with for the rest of the decade. I hope he balls out.

But, I do have one question for those who feel like we "must" retain him. If he had not been drafted by us in 2020 and was scheduled to hit the market after the 2024 season...based on what you have seen so far... would you want to spend 15-20 mil per season to acquire him as a FA? I'd have to say no.

Good question, I dont think I would either but we have to approach him with an open mind since the Rhule factor was how he started his career. If he absolutely looks great in this defense then id say lets sign him. If he still looks so-so then I say let him test the market and see what he finds as its just not meant to be.

• Pie 1

For everyone giving D Brown crap, I think he can be an even better version of Vita Vea. The dude is completely lock down in The run game and is still developing past rush moves. I think people need to realize how difficult it is to create pressure as an interior d lineman when the online can double or have a RB help out easily 

5 hours ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

For everyone giving D Brown crap, I think he can be an even better version of Vita Vea. The dude is completely lock down in The run game and is still developing past rush moves. I think people need to realize how difficult it is to create pressure as an interior d lineman when the online can double or have a RB help out easily 

That’s insane.

On 7/29/2023 at 5:14 AM, PleaseCutStewart said:

Warren Sapp once said that the shortest route to the QB is right up the middle. That's why coaches put so much emphasis on blocking interior lineman that are able to get after the QB. None of us expect Brown to have Aaron Donald numbers year in and year out. But, I think he needs to do better than 2 sacks per year (he has 6 total sacks from 2020-2022) "if" his management team thinks he's worth over $15 mil per season. You can find a big body in the draft after the 1st round to replace his production and use that type of money elsewhere.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1