• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gantt says we will let Dwill walk in 2010.

Snake

Does anyone here really think that Stewart could carry the load, by himself, over 20 games, and hold up.

My opinion, no. I think he's a wonderful change of pace back and can he carry the load once in awhile when Williams is out, certainly. By himself, no, that foot is never going to hold up. I love his desire and his toughness, who wouldn't; but, no way is that backfield as successful with Stewart and Sutton as it is Williams and Sutton, who know though, maybe in the 2011 draft, the Panthers can find another RB.

I believe Deangelo Williams has at least 5 great years in him and a top tier back, not even yet approaching his prime. Getting rid of Williams would be the equivalent of getting rid of a young Emmitt Smith, and Smith had a lot better lines to run behind then the Panthers ever have had.

I think Stewart can carry the load. Personally, I like having both b/c it makes us the best......we can't sign both after there rookie deals are over....it is about picking the right spot to do it and committing more to one in the long run. I mean, look what Stewart does when he is "hurt".....what do you think a healthy Stewart could do? I mean, he hasn't been healthy since his jr year of college and has always played......it is going to be amazing what he does when 100%. I think Williams is the best all around RB of the two.....that doesn't mean scenarios wouldn't present themselves were letting him go wouldn't be best overall for Carolina.

The other option is trading Stewart in the 2010 offseason to get value for him after re-signing DW. Sure, thats more expensive than letting DW walk and keeping a cheaper Stew for a few more years, but it might be a good in-between move in terms of risk and reward (Stewart seems to be injury prone)

one thing to consider and I am just throwing this out....

DeAngelo right now > Stewart.

So everyone is under the assumption that will not change? Stewart is very young and seems to have had a much easier transition into the league.....maybe that is just more opportunity(which is what I would probably argue) but who knows. I don't think it is out of the question to think Stewart can make great strides and become an even better RB than what we have seen from him in year 2. At this point, Stewart looks much better than what we saw from Williams in his 2nd year.

I could see Deangelo as being the guy we trade for draft picks. His value is peaking now, we have a back that is extremely talented and can carry the load as his back up. Tyrell Sutton has shown he has change of pace and versatility. We need a franchise quarterback, a wide receiver or two and depth. It makes sense to do it this way. And Im a huge Deangelo fan, but the problem is that he is about 3 1/2 years from 30 and Stewart is 8 years from that mark. Think about the huge runningback dilemma the Cowboys had back in the day.....

Gantt is just slapping a canned piece of speculation into the paper during a traditional holiday week. It's pure speculation and meant to stir the pot a bit and keep readers interested.

It's no big thing, he's just blue skying it and guessing.

the speculation that carolina would consider not extending williams's contracted started at the end of the 2008 season when both parties decided to leave his contract as is.

my theory...williams turned down their offer. i personally think williams doesn't plan to remain in carolina.

There are certain players on a team that are staples of your franchise. You do not let these people go. Williams is a franchise RB, he will retire a Panther. Stewart is not a franchise RB, he is very good but not as good as Williams. Not yet anyway. If it were up to me I would trade Stew in the last year of his contract a get a very high 1st round pick, or multiple picks.

There are certain players on a team that are staples of your franchise. You do not let these people go. Williams is a franchise RB, he will retire a Panther. Stewart is not a franchise RB, he is very good but not as good as Williams. Not yet anyway. If it were up to me I would trade Stew in the last year of his contract a get a very high 1st round pick, or multiple picks.

that is the key though.....it is about what is realistic to expect Stewart to be. Carolina can't extend both past there rookie deals. Stewart has had an easy time finding success imo so far in the league and that is while being hurt.

Archived