• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

College Football Week 8

Shocker

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

It isn't impossible. Remember that Florida won titles in football and basketball in close proximity. The issue is that it will always be tough when you are such a heavily one sport school. Look at Duke this year. That team is so fuging good. Look at the stands. It's embarrassing.

I agree. I guess pointing that out is trolling. 

Edited by USDepartmentOfSavagery

2 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I agree, Mac Brown has given Carolina its best stretches of football in my lifetime.  Personally, I hope they fire him. 

He is a shell of his former self but what did they expect hiring a guy his age?

They either have to get on board with being a big boy(which means spending SOOOOO much more money than they do now) or just accepting that they aren't a football power. It sounds like a slight but this is literally the reality for like 90% of all college football.

Hence why I have always hated college football. It is the most fundamentally unfair system that college sports had ever created. 

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

He is a shell of his former self but what did they expect hiring a guy his age?

They either have to get on board with being a big boy(which means spending SOOOOO much more money than they do now) or just accepting that they aren't a football power. It sounds like a slight but this is literally the reality for like 90% of all college football.

Hence why I have always hated college football. It is the most fundamentally unfair system that college sports had ever created. 

His shell still has UNC playing well.  How often has UNC been ranked in the top 10, deserved or not? It has happened, but it is rare.  

I don't think its just money.  Reputation is a big part of it.  If a recruit is deciding between Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, and UNC, and he wants to play for a national championship, where is he going to go?  Teams like Alabama and Georgia, or a UNC team that that doesn't have the history.  While its slightly possible to build a team into a major football program, the deck is stacked against a school that doesn't have the history, even if they spend the money.

Edited by Davidson Deac II

1 minute ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I don't think its just money.  Reputation is a big part of it.  If a recruit is deciding between Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, and UNC, and he wants to play for a national championship, where is he going to go?  Teams like Alabama and Georgia, or a UNC team that that doesn't have the history.  While its slightly possible to build a team into a major football program, the deck is stacked against a school that doesn't have the history, even if they spend the money.

It literally is not reputation, it's money. That is why college football is the worst major sport in this country. History only matters if you have money.

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

It literally is not reputation, it's money. That is why college football is the worst major sport in this country. History only matters if you have money.

But if all the big schools have money, then history matters a lot.

Lets say a player wants to get paid.  And they want to play for National championships.  UNC offers them a 105,000 dollars, and Alabama offers a 100,000.  The vast majority of five star players will pick Alabama.  

I looked up a list of schools that have the most NIL payouts.  Baylor pays out more NIL money than any ACC school outside of Clemson.  Yet, they don't get the recruits that FSU gets.  If it was just about money, I would think that Baylor 

2 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

But if all the big schools have money, then history matters a lot.

Lets say a player wants to get paid.  And they want to play for National championships.  UNC offers them a 105,000 dollars, and Alabama offers a 100,000.  The vast majority of five star players will pick Alabama.  

I looked up a list of schools that have the most NIL payouts.  Baylor pays out more NIL money than any ACC school outside of Clemson.  Yet, they don't get the recruits that FSU gets.  If it was just about money, I would think that Baylor 

That matters for a smaller pool of players. If you grow up an X school fan, then you might go against your best interests for a scholarship. Those players will dwindle over time(they already are).

I think your elite 5* guys are still primarily going to go to the places where they think their NFL aspirations will be best served. It's those guys considered borderline NFL talents or guys projected to be good college players but probably not NFL players who should absolutely be prioritizing NIL $$$ above all else.

This as close as you'll get to Mack Brown just flat out admitting that he had his team tight as hell preaching to them for a week straight not to choke. 

"You see upsets all over the country every day and it’s just disappointing. When you see it, you try hard for seven straight days to make sure it doesn’t happen." 

Instead of coming into the game with the confidence and swagger of a 6-0 team they came into the game scared as hell that they were going to choke because that was Mack's messaging all week. Brilliant.

12 minutes ago, Shocker said:

I was interested in Mack’s contract situation and found this: The 72-year-old Brown agreed to a one-year contract extension in February that could keep him in Chapel Hill through January 2028.

In other words he isn’t leaving anytime soon

He really wants to join the 300 win club. He needs 26 more.

I really want to identify his successor. He's done a great job righting the ship but I think we're kinda at our ceiling with Brown at the helm. And that's with having the best QBs in program history back to back.