• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mingos Route Running

Daeavorn

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Boldin's first couple of years were fine, but they weren't OBJ-esque. Let's keep some perspective here.

I mean, that is what I was doing when someone referenced Mingo to a dude that was OROY and made the Pro Bowl his rookie season. 

I mean, his production when on the field was actually pretty dang similar to OBJ early in his career. 

He opened with a 1300+ rookie season.  And that was back when you could still maul WRs a little. Got hurt his 2nd year.  3rd year he had 1400+.  4th year he had 1200+.  Boldin was a monster.  And Boldin will have a shot at the HOF...unlike OBJ.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

8 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, that is what I was doing when someone referenced Mingo to a dude that was OROY and made the Pro Bowl his rookie season. 

I mean, his production when on the field was actually pretty dang similar to OBJ early in his career. 

He opened with a 1300+ rookie season.  And that was back when you could still maul WRs a little. Got hurt his 2nd year.  3rd year he had 1400+.  4th year he had 1200+.  Boldin was a monster.  And Boldin will have a shot at the HOF...unlike OBJ. 

Yeah, but... injuries are a motherfuger.

I'm not gonna jinx it, but at least in that respect, I suspect our guy to eclipse them both (not that Boldin was horrible).

14 minutes ago, CRA said:

I simply stated who some scouts had as his NFL comparison. I honestly didn’t follow Mingo in college. 

Just now, top dawg said:

Yeah, but... injuries are a motherfuger.

I'm not gonna jinx it, but at least in that respect, I suspect our guy to eclipse them both (not that Boldin was horrible).

and Boldin still put up a career very similar to 89.  Many would argue his edges Steve's.  Boldin edges 89 in most categories on less games....and then adds the ring.  

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I simply stated who some scouts had as his NFL comparison. I honestly didn’t follow Mingo in college. 

I know, I guess my point is comparisons only mean something before they step on the field.  We have seen Mingo in the NFL.  And he looks nothing like a young Boldin. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

I know, I guess my point is comparisons only mean something before they step on the field.  We have seen Mingo in the NFL.  And he looks nothing like a young Boldin. 

Agreed. Boldin would be more of a ceiling as in something we hope he can become. 

I thought Mingo had a lot to like but the quick eye test for me showed he wasn’t really an extender/hands catcher/aggressive for the ball type but he was an absolute bull when he had the ball. He has good hands but isn’t a finesse guy. And we needed a guy with real quickness.

Im still hopeful bc maybe he can become a Metcalf lite but a problem is it’s another class with a bunch of effective WRs out of the gate and we couldn’t spot the one for us. 

Take Addison, S-N, and Flowers out of the equation, we still had Mims (LOVE), Rice, Downs, Dell, Scott, etc. 

Just really surprised we went the way we did. Could’ve traded back or taken Tuli or Brents at 39 then snagged Down or Dell later on. Kinda peeves me

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Bear Hands said:

I thought Mingo had a lot to like but the quick eye test for me showed he wasn’t really an extender/hands catcher/aggressive for the ball type but he was an absolute bull when he had the ball. He has good hands but isn’t a finesse guy. And we needed a guy with real quickness.

Im still hopeful bc maybe he can become a Metcalf lite but a problem is it’s another class with a bunch of effective WRs out of the gate and we couldn’t spot the one for us. 

Take Addison, S-N, and Flowers out of the equation, we still had Mims (LOVE), Rice, Downs, Dell, Scott, etc. 

Just really surprised we went the way we did. Could’ve traded back or taken Tuli or Brents at 39 then snagged Down or Dell later on. Kinda peeves me

I was just certain that Fitt would take the Jordan route and draft Downs since he A) went to Carolina and B) met a need and C) was around maybe longer than the he should have been. On the flip side, Mingo had a 3rd round grade IIRC.

On 10/26/2023 at 1:40 PM, CRA said:

Is that old saying really true anymore?  at least in terms of the really good ones. 

sure feels like most WRs that turn out to be good in recent history....show it pretty early.  Sure feels like it is skewing more 1-2 seasons now. 

I think our memory tells us there were a lot more really good receivers than there actually were. 

Great receivers tend to have long careers. There have been hundreds that washed out in three years for every one that made it to 10 years. 

But those great catches and dominant seasons linger in our minds forever.