• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mingos Route Running

Daeavorn

Numerous people have questioned whether they even teach good route running at the college level anymore.

A lot of offenses of simplified down to the point where the receivers only need to know a few basic routes. It's made the transition from college to pro more difficult than it used to be at that spot.

• Pie 6

The scouting report on him coming out of college was that he wasn't great at creating separation, was just really good at catching contested balls and running after the catch.

From NFL.com

Big, strong slot receiver possessing the mental and physical toughness to outperform his speed limitations. The career production is nothing special, but it’s clear he’s put time and effort into his craft. He runs crisp, well-paced routes and ramps up his focus when it’s time to go get the football. A lack of separation burst and long speed could make for more contested catches, but he has the body type and willingness for that work. Mingo can get tough yards after the catch and is an above-average blocker. He has the skill level and demeanor to become a starting slot receiver for teams using 11 personnel (three WRs) as their base offense.

3 minutes ago, NAS said:

The scouting report on him coming out of college was that he wasn't great at creating separation, was just really good at catching contested balls and running after the catch.

That kind of profile usually screams "possession receiver".

That's not a knock on him by the way. You need those. Can also be valuable in the red zone.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 5

17 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That kind of profile usually screams "possession receiver".

That's not a knock on him by the way. You need those. Can also be valuable in the red zone.

True - but he's no DJ Moore replacement as was kind of sold to us.

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, CBDellinger said:

It takes most WRs 2-3 years to come into their own.  Give him a solid off season to work on his craft before passing judgment.  

His biggest issue will be being compared to Moore. Moore hit the ground running here and never looked back. If he has the usual sophmore slump there will be a lot of bust talk.

I dont think ive seen us ever develop a WR that came to us raw, so my expectations are low unfortunately.

Just now, Daeavorn said:

I dont think ive seen us ever develop a WR that came to us raw, so my expectations are low unfortunately.

Steve Smith is the only one I can remember.  He was seen as just a potential returner coming out of college.

• Pie 4