• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dying SSDs and NVMEs???

d-dave

So I’m specing out a content creation desktop at work, and my tech guy, who is in charge of the actual procurement, swears that large SSDs fail at a higher rate than spinning disc drives.  That it would be safer to get a small boot drive and a larger secondary drive for long term storage.

he can’t tell me where he read it, but he’s convinced that HDDs are more reliable and safer than SSDs and NVME drives.

anyone heard anything like that?  I haven’t and I can’t find it on Google.

I keep buying platters when I build but its a cost per GB calculation rather than a reliability issue.

For stuff like business docs and pictures that I dont care if it takes a couple of 10ths of a second to load, I put them on the platters.

For the OS, games and files where access speeds could impact usage/enjoyment I have SSDs

I think early generations of SSDs failed at higher rates.  Something about the reads & writes destroying the drive slowly.

Edited by Cullenator

I think you need a new tech guy. Search for MTBF (mean time between failures) and compare SSDs to HDDs. SSDs outlast HDDs by such a ridiculous margin you'll see why I say you need a new tech guy. 

If you still aren't confident, have a new tech guy (since you fired the last one) set up a RAID 1 configuration. 

edit: I do recommend avoiding QLC SSDs; they can have reliability issues. Also, pay attention to TBW rating (more is better) and warranty (longer is better). Samsung SSDs typically have a TBW of 2000x their capacity and five year warranties if you want peace of mind. 

There are also enterprise SSDs

Edited by Chimera
added info
  • Pie 1

On 10/30/2023 at 5:48 PM, d-dave said:

So I’m specing out a content creation desktop at work, and my tech guy, who is in charge of the actual procurement, swears that large SSDs fail at a higher rate than spinning disc drives.  That it would be safer to get a small boot drive and a larger secondary drive for long term storage.

he can’t tell me where he read it, but he’s convinced that HDDs are more reliable and safer than SSDs and NVME drives.

anyone heard anything like that?  I haven’t and I can’t find it on Google.

Ya I’d call BS. Either he wants to keep cost down or he has other motives. I’ve never had an SSD fail. That said if you are doing large amounts of data management. I’m talking terabytes of data HDD’s are generally better for that. But then you have failsafes, backups, RAIDs, etc.

3 hours ago, Harbingers said:

Ya I’d call BS. Either he wants to keep cost down or he has other motives. I’ve never had an SSD fail. That said if you are doing large amounts of data management. I’m talking terabytes of data HDD’s are generally better for that. But then you have failsafes, backups, RAIDs, etc.

Oh, he clarified today after I call him on the other BS - that you never know if you're going to get the right size.  He's read about people buying large drives, but only have 1/4 the space...  I swear upon all that's holy!  I told him "then we'd return it and get a new one, or buy something else."  

He's just so damned fixed in his ways it makes this so much more difficult.  I just want a machine so my kids can learn blender, unreal engine, and davinci resolve!

• Pie 1

New ssd drives don't have reliability issues. 

1. Most have 5 year warranties for 2400tbw. For a 1tb drive that's you wiping it and rewriting on it 2400 times. 

It's totally not an issue and gen 4 drives are 100 dollars for 1tb and if you catch a sale you can get 2tb for 100. Shoot gen 5 drives are dropping in price right now. 

Also get a new tech guy, he's living in the past roughly 15 years ago. 

• Beer 1