• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CityNerd: I Visited the World Capital of Sprawl, and I Have Thoughts

jayboogieman

31 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Watch the vid -- it doesn't insinuate "biggest".  From an urban planning perspective, Charlotte has one of the worst examples of sprawl gone wrong but they've been correcting.  Vid title is a bit click-baity.

Yeah I watch a lot of his stuff. His voice though ... wow. I'd think LA and Jacksonville are two of the biggest. And yes, Charlotte's is wrong on so many levels. Lived there 18 years and I was always ... this is Charlotte of the 1970s trying to house Charlotte of the 00s.

• Pie 1

As a land developer 'sprawl' is a mixed word. 

Sprawl is usually referred in a negative way as it insinuates things being spread out and being ineffective. But I would argue that most citys that are not land locked against a mountain or ocean need to accept sprawl because people dont want to build up. 

A land planners wet dream would be to have an entire city only take up 1 square mile and be 1 mile in elevation but thats not the reality for most cities in North America. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2023 at 7:45 AM, LinvilleGorge said:

Anyone who thinks any eastern city sprawls has clearly not been to a city like Denver or Phoenix. The Denver and Charlotte metro area have similar population sizes while the Charlotte metro area is roughly 3000 square miles and the Denver metro area is closer to 8500. 

It's not shear size.  Having lived in Denver, Southern Cal, DC/Nova, & Chicago, it's a multitude of factors.  Sprawl classification has many facets.