• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The elephant in the zone

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, Anybodyhome said:

If the effort is to evaluate the strengths, then the assumption has been made they are there to be evaluated. I haven't made that assumption.

He didn't get where he is without having strengths.

David Carr had strengths too...until they got beaten out of him.

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

IDK what goes on in house but there is no way that some coaches do not see this. No adjustments and a clear direction that isn't working yet not even a hint of changing either other than cutting an OG. I would love to know who is in on the oline decision.

Nicole. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

35 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Related: from John Ellis...

Moving Ekwonu to guard accomplishes this...

I mean plenty of us said this at the time. I think the unfortunate situation we find ourselves in is who exactly takes over at LT? Are they gonna be better?

If nothing else, that was the biggest thing that killed us when BC went down. He was basically our only viable other option at OT.

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

IDK what goes on in house but there is no way that some coaches do not see this. No adjustments and a clear direction that isn't working yet not even a hint of changing either other than cutting an OG. I would love to know who is in on the oline decision.

What's maddening is the disconnect between the coaches messaging and the on-field product.

"We're going to tailor the scheme to the personnel"... except we didn't.

"We're going to have a collaborative approach"...you really wanna tell me nobody on a staff full of professionals is seeing this?

It's just infuriating.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I mean plenty of us said this at the time. I think the unfortunate situation we find ourselves in is who exactly takes over at LT? Are they gonna be better?

If nothing else, that was the biggest thing that killed us when BC went down. He was basically our only viable other option at OT.

Christensen would be the obvious choice if he weren't hurt, and likely would be the pick next year.

With the choices we've got now? Don't know.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

What's maddening is the disconnect between the coaches messaging and the on-field product.

"We're going to tailor the scheme to the personnel"... except we didn't.

"We're going to have a collaborative approach"...you really wanna tell me nobody on a staff full of professionals is seeing this?

It's just infuriating.

It is and there is more to the story than just coaches BSing. Rhule did the same thing and I am wondering if there isn't another angle to the backstage drama.

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

we had that plan, I have no idea why Bozeman, Ikey, Zavala, Mays or most the the rest of these guys are here. They literally do not fit that plan. 

I mean, I get why those guys are here; they were here when Reich got here (minus Zavala) and had played well last year. The question is why we opted to switch blocking schemes when it should have been obvious that our players aren't suited for it.

You shouldn't dismantle your OL purely because of a scheme change (assuming the line has shown they can perform in one scheme) you just don't change schemes.

2 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

I mean, I get why those guys are here; they were here when Reich got here (minus Zavala) and had played well last year. The question is why we opted to switch blocking schemes when it should have been obvious that our players aren't suited for it.

You shouldn't dismantle your OL purely because of a scheme change (assuming the line has shown they can perform in one scheme) you just don't change schemes.

And when the coach said he'd tailor the scheme to fit them.

• Pie 2

16 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Christensen would be the obvious choice if he weren't hurt, and likely would be the pick next year.

With the choices we've got now? Don't know.

Yeah, that's what I mean. If we just get worse at LT, what does it matter about maybe getting marginally better at LG? It isn't gonna make Bozeman better either. They aren't gonna be playing downhill much.

That's a decision for a different staff, IMO. There is no sense in shuffling the OL at this point unless we change our offense.

• Flames 1

15 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, that's what I mean. If we just get worse at LT, what does it matter about maybe getting marginally better at LG? It isn't gonna make Bozeman better either. They aren't gonna be playing downhill much.

That's a decision for a different staff, IMO. There is no sense in shuffling the OL at this point unless we change our offense.

I don't think Ickey would be "marginally better" at left guard. I think he'd be significantly better. The problem is that pretty much anybody we put at left tackle would also be significantly worse.

Mike Kaye suggested moving Bozeman to left guard and trying Cade Mays at center. Don't know if that works either but it's an option.

The problem though is that none of these options work unless we move to a power run heavy offense.

If we're not going to do that, then it's just Titanic deck chairs.

Edited by Mr. Scot