• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2 WRs to Target in the Next Two Drafts

tukafan21

31 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

I’ve never once said he’s a #1, I’ve actually said multiple times that he’s meant for the shifty slot role, essentially the #3 or #4 WR on the roster.

Yea, I agree, Cowing will never be a #1 WR in the NFL, but he’s going to be a very successful slot WR in the league.

And route running ability is extremely important and it clearly can’t just be taught to anyone, it’s a reason so many WRs fail to make it, because they just can’t run crisp routes and get open.  It’s the reason someone like Thielen still is able to do what he does.

Plus, Cowing has like a 5 year old son, it’s why he transferred to Arizona, to be closer to him and to help his NFL draft stock increase.  He’s one of those guys who already has a family to feed and is going to work a little harder than the next guy because he has extra motivation to make it in the league.

I think he’d be a perfect mid round pick for us, but as you said, clearly not meant to be a future #1.

And T-Mac was more of a joke/pipe dream as he’ll be a 1st rounder in 2025 and I think we’ll get that #1 guy this off-season and/or need to use that 2025 1st on a new QB anyways.  

I understand that on not being a WR1 but why think future WR3/4 when it will not make much of an impact? Also, just because receivers cannot run crisp route means 1 of 2 things. They didn't get proper coaching in technique unless you end up in top programs like at OSU or LSU. Second and this is a serious issue on the players is that they do NOT take route running seriously even in college but is more concerned with trying to get seperation from their defender that they will purposely break their routes. I can run routes with the best of them by counting 5 steps then break and so forth like duh!!!

Give me a break it can be taught in the NFL if they haven't yet in college if they want to be good but i need the breakaway speed that cannot be taught my friend. The reasons guys join track and become stars is that they are already born fast and want to take advantage of that speed by joining track and field. If you are NOT the FASTEST, you will NOT be a STAR no matter how much training you get. 

3 hours ago, GhostWhispah said:

I understand that on not being a WR1 but why think future WR3/4 when it will not make much of an impact? Also, just because receivers cannot run crisp route means 1 of 2 things. They didn't get proper coaching in technique unless you end up in top programs like at OSU or LSU. Second and this is a serious issue on the players is that they do NOT take route running seriously even in college but is more concerned with trying to get seperation from their defender that they will purposely break their routes. I can run routes with the best of them by counting 5 steps then break and so forth like duh!!!

Give me a break it can be taught in the NFL if they haven't yet in college if they want to be good but i need the breakaway speed that cannot be taught my friend. The reasons guys join track and become stars is that they are already born fast and want to take advantage of that speed by joining track and field. If you are NOT the FASTEST, you will NOT be a STAR no matter how much training you get. 

Great route running can't "just be taught in the NFL", if it could, there would be way more quality route runners in the league, far too many WRs crap out because they can't figure it out.  It's so much more than counting your steps and making a cut that it's not even funny.  It should be borderline illegal to honestly think great route running can easily be taught once you get to the NFL, it's frankly nonsense to think that.

Not that it can't be, but it's pretty rare for a bad route runner in college to develop it at a high level once they get to the NFL.

It's about proper technique off the line, being able to make your cuts at full speed without needing too many chop steps to get in and out of it, using your upper body to help sell your move to the defender, making your cut at a 45 degree angle on this route or a 90 degree angle on that route instead of 55 and 100 degree cuts.

All those little things are what makes someone a great route runner compared to a poor one, and so much of it can't "just be taught" as a lot of it is instincts, discipline, precision, repetition, and sometimes just a flat out natural talent for it.

Cowing runs great routes, he's savvy and knows how to find the holes and sit in them, just like Thielen has done for us this year, much of that can't be taught at the NFL level, you develop it over time and bring it with you to the NFL, not learn it there.

40 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Great route running can't "just be taught in the NFL", if it could, there would be way more quality route runners in the league, far too many WRs crap out because they can't figure it out.  It's so much more than counting your steps and making a cut that it's not even funny.  It should be borderline illegal to honestly think great route running can easily be taught once you get to the NFL, it's frankly nonsense to think that.

Not that it can't be, but it's pretty rare for a bad route runner in college to develop it at a high level once they get to the NFL.

It's about proper technique off the line, being able to make your cuts at full speed without needing too many chop steps to get in and out of it, using your upper body to help sell your move to the defender, making your cut at a 45 degree angle on this route or a 90 degree angle on that route instead of 55 and 100 degree cuts.

All those little things are what makes someone a great route runner compared to a poor one, and so much of it can't "just be taught" as a lot of it is instincts, discipline, precision, repetition, and sometimes just a flat out natural talent for it.

Cowing runs great routes, he's savvy and knows how to find the holes and sit in them, just like Thielen has done for us this year, much of that can't be taught at the NFL level, you develop it over time and bring it with you to the NFL, not learn it there.

When it comes to running routes, one can either study and apply it successfully or not. No such thing as a great route runner. Being a great receiver applies to being a dynamic player on making great catches whether running your routes or being able to get open from off platform plays which are unscripted. Bryce is a master at it but he needs receivers who can get open under these type of plays which falls under intangibles. 

http://www.coachup.com/nation/articles/football-tips-how-to-run-the-out-route

http://www.coachup.com/nation/articles/football-tips-how-to-run-the-slant-route