• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Final Drive

Seltzer

13 minutes ago, thennek said:

I was listening to ESPN radio this morning with Greenie. They were talking about the best HC openings. Carolina was last…and not even close. They were joking they would rather coach Coastal Carolina than the Panthers. Primary reason- the owner. Tepper has a terrible reputation and all of the recent Hunger Games talk has made it worse. The number one problem with the Panthers is Tepper. I think it is telling that he fired Frank but not Fitterer. Fitterer is the GM and has been for over 3-years. This team has significantly less talent now than in 2020. Each year the team has gotten worse and that is a bi-product of bad decisions made by the Panthers leadership. Fitterer must be in tune with Tepper or he would have been canned with Frank. 

It makes for compelling radio, especially for his big market audience who loves to think they are the center of the world and everywhere else is meaningless.

However, Tepper's money will always make this attractive... "attractive" is a very subjective word there.

Just b/c the pundits want to clown on Tepper doesn't mean there isn't a boatload of candidates willing to take one of the 32 highest profile jobs in America making guaranteed millions, even if you have to deal with a meddling boss.

Many, many of us do that for far, far less fame & money.  I think objectively the Chargers job is better, but outside of that, meh...

Tepper's wallets will get us a coach... it's a matter of spending that money on the right coach.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Seltzer said:

It makes for compelling radio, especially for his big market audience who loves to think they are the center of the world and everywhere else is meaningless.

However, Tepper's money will always make this attractive... "attractive" is a very subjective word there.

Just b/c the pundits want to clown on Tepper doesn't mean there isn't a boatload of candidates willing to take one of the 32 highest profile jobs in America making guaranteed millions, even if you have to deal with a meddling boss.

Many, many of us do that for far, far less fame & money.  I think objectively the Chargers job is better, but outside of that, meh...

Tepper's wallets will get us a coach... it's a matter of spending that money on the right coach.

Tier 1 job openings:

LA Chargers- nobody else is close.  Franchise QB, offensive skill players, in LA.

Tier 2:

Chicago (POTENTIAL) - tons of draft capital (thanks to us), position to either keep Fields and trade for more or build around

Atlanta (POTENTIAL) - top 5 offensive skill players in the league

Tier 3:  

Panthers - some solid young corps to build around but Tepper makes things difficult

Raiders - nobody of note to build around and Vegas doesn't care and won't ever care.

Patriots - nobody to build around.  Nobody wants to be the guy to follow Bill.

Commanders - nobody to build around

I don't see any other team firing a HC; maybe NYJ or Saints ?

• Pie 1

22 minutes ago, jamos14 said:

And you proved his point.

That DRIVE was exactly what you want from a #1 pick and franchise QB.  Not his whole entire season. Or even his game yesterday.  THE DRIVE WAS.

If late, slow, not terribly accurate throws are what you want from a #1 pick, go for it. Typically though, the bar is higher.

• Pie 3
  • Poo 2

3 minutes ago, jamos14 said:

Tier 1 job openings:

LA Chargers- nobody else is close.  Franchise QB, offensive skill players, in LA.

Tier 2:

Chicago (POTENTIAL) - tons of draft capital (thanks to us), position to either keep Fields and trade for more or build around

Tier 3:  

Panthers - some solid young corps to build around but Tepper makes things difficult

Raiders - nobody of note to build around and Vegas doesn't care and won't ever care.

Fair list.  I definitely see Chargers as #1 and Bears as #2 given the draft capital.

For #3, that gets a little tricky.  I think the Falcons and Panthers are neck-and-neck.  The Falcons probably have a better overall roster (especially on offense) but I like our defense and QB right now significantly better.  I also don't see Atlanta getting Williams or Maye, so they will still be spinning the QB carousel next year too.

However, I don't think any of these openings are "bad."  So, so much changes in the NFL on an annual basis.  The Texans looked absolutely hopeless last year and are competing for a playoff spot.  As awful as this year has been, I've also watched enough football to know that we could easily compete for the NFC South next year (what we were promised this year).

I still think the Chargers are in a tier above (b/c of Herbert) and the Bears draft capital and big market make that attractive.

The others are pretty closely bunched together IMHO.

And in the grand scheme of life, is there a "bad" NFL HC opening when you're going to be making guaranteed millions no matter what?

2 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

is there a "bad" NFL HC opening when you're going to be making guaranteed millions no matter what?

No, which is why I'm not concerned about attracting a quality coach/GM.  We will get some good candidates. 

The question is will Tepper hire the right coach/GM and then get out of their way?

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, jamos14 said:

No, which is why I'm not concerned about attracting a quality coach/GM.  We will get some good candidates. 

The question is will Tepper hire the right coach/GM and then get out of their way?

That really is the only pertinent question.  The rest makes for good hot-take media, but it's all speculative nonsense.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, KSpan said:

If late, slow, not terribly accurate throws are what you want from a #1 pick, go for it. Typically though, the bar is higher.

I guess I'm old and had never heard of copium until a few years back, but damn if it's not a real thing with this younger generation...

Imagine looking for negatives after the best game-winning drive (and hell we've only had 2- both by Bryce) since Cam in Philly in 2018.  In a literal monsoon nonetheless...

There really must be some of you on here who are beyond miserable in your lives... it's figuratively bleeding out all over the pages on this message board.  Like honestly to the point I genuinely am starting to wonder about the mental health of some of you...

This board has had some down times in the past, but now we've got people actively trolling anyone who is happy about an incredible come-from-behind win... these truly are strange times for a depressed fanbase...

• Beer 2

I am sure someone will take/want the job.  The question is will any top candidates want it. He will have to build the team via free agency vs draft. 

The new HC needs to be a strong leader and be able to stand up for his program and decisions against Tepper. For whatever reason it does not appear Frank was able to do this. Rhule was just not an NFL coach. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, thennek said:

He will have to build the team via free agency vs draft. 

Is that really true though?  We have have 2nd, 3rd, 4th, (2) 5th, 6th. Top of each round in 2, 3,4.

We should absolutely expect 1 starter and 1-2 additional contributors from that.     This is Fitts biggest problem , he has drafted like poo (and traded) and we have no depth because of it.

• Pie 2

21 minutes ago, jamos14 said:

Tier 1 job openings:

Tier 2:

Tier 3:  

Seems about right.  Crazy that every year there are approximately 8 HC openings.

5 minutes ago, jamos14 said:

Is that really true though?  We have have 2nd, 3rd, 4th, (2) 5th, 6th. Top of each round in 2, 3,4.

We should absolutely expect 1 starter and 1-2 additional contributors from that.     This is Fitts biggest problem , he has drafted like poo (and traded) and we have no depth because of it.

These team has more holes than draft picks so I think free agency is key. Unless they trade Burns. 
WR, LB, DL, TE, OL for sure. Also would like to see some QB competition. 

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

I guess I'm old and had never heard of copium until a few years back, but damn if it's not a real thing with this younger generation...

Imagine looking for negatives after the best game-winning drive (and hell we've only had 2- both by Bryce) since Cam in Philly in 2018.  In a literal monsoon nonetheless...

There really must be some of you on here who are beyond miserable in your lives... it's figuratively bleeding out all over the pages on this message board.  Like honestly to the point I genuinely am starting to wonder about the mental health of some of you...

This board has had some down times in the past, but now we've got people actively trolling anyone who is happy about an incredible come-from-behind win... these truly are strange times for a depressed fanbase...

Holy crap, ths insanity with this stuff. Who gives a crap if this was 'the best game-winning drive' in years - it was still subpar play by objective football standards, especially Atlanta just gifting it. Full stop. Atlanta quit rushing the passer and inexplicably started playing prevent (watch Electro's tweet and tell me they're actualy rushing... they aren't), Bryce's throws were underthrown and slow as they commonly are sans the one to Chark that I'm not convinced was intentional becasue of his other accuracy issues, and he was dogcrap for the first 50 minutes of the game.

I'm not miserable at all - the bar is just so low with some of you that this crap football gets celebrated. Seriously, how is it being miserable to call things objectively? Takes like yours were a dime a dozen this offseason, including the snark about 'being miserable' and other similar things, but lo and behold I and those sharing my opinions were right. This season has been utter crap and it could be predicted a mile away by anyone paying attention.

If y'all are going to come in with nonsense like this thread then it's completely fair to have an opposing viewpoint.

Edited by KSpan
  • Pie 1
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 2

2 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Holy crap, ths insanity with this stuff. Who gives a crap if this was 'the best game-winning drive' in years - it was still subpar play by objective football standards, especially Atlanta just gifting it. Full stop. Atlanta quit rushing the passer and inexplicably started playing prevent (watch Electro's tweet and tell me they're actualy rushing... they aren't), Bryce's throws were underthrown and slow as they commonly are sans the one to Chark that I'm not convinced was intentional becasue of his other accuracy issues, and he was dogcrap for the first 50 minutes of the game.

I'm not miserable at all - the bar is just so low with some of you that this crap football gets celebrated. Seriously, how is it being miserable to call things objectively? Takes like yours were a dime a dozen this offseason, including the snark about 'being miserable' and other similar things, but lo and behold I and those sharing my opinions were right. This season has been utter crap and it could be predicted a mile away by anyone paying attention.

If y'all are going to come in with nonsense like this thread then it's completely fair to have an opposing viewpoint.

Your takes are fuging garbage.

It was a good drive.  Game winning drive's in the NFL are tough; it doesn't matter if you think it didn't meet the eye test.  

Sick of you and others insufferable bullshit.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 2

16 minutes ago, thennek said:

I am sure someone will take/want the job.  The question is will any top candidates want it. He will have to build the team via free agency vs draft. 

The new HC needs to be a strong leader and be able to stand up for his program and decisions against Tepper. For whatever reason it does not appear Frank was able to do this. Rhule was just not an NFL coach. 

Tepper's going to have to "overpay," but that isn't an obstacle.

It really just comes down to picking the right person.

Crazy thing is that both of our DC the past 2 seasons have looked like the right choice for the job, only to watch Tepper cling to his fascination with finding the next great young offensive mind...