• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do it.

Harbingers

If Freddie isn’t going to be back this season I’d do it in a heart beat. To be 1B behind Pyotr.  1 year rental. The goalie market is fuged so to get a serviceable backup for 3.5, that doesn’t mean giving up multiple picks prospects and even players? If there is any question about Freddie I’d pull the trigger on this right now. 

Edited by Harbingers

10 minutes ago, DavidEng said:

I don’t know what’s up with him but he’s been lit up this year with a worse than Raanta GAA. Granted against some good teams. If he can get back to his 22-23 stats might be worth a gamble.  

E8B90B26-9CB6-483D-8ED2-6AD8955A25FC.jpeg.fb14354ef9c4ae648369846054947721.jpeg

Different team, not being 1A I think would bring him back into form in a contract year. 

1 minute ago, DavidEng said:

Found this, I wonder if his ATV accident injury in 2020 has come back to affect him this season.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/washington-capitals/news/washington-capitals-former-ilya-samsonov-waivers-toronto-maple-leafs

Like I said if there is an even a chance Freddie comes back like people are saying, I think we roll with what we have. But if not… he is an absolute steal when he would get up to speed with our team. Sounds like he’s got the same yips Raanta does. But he’s younger and like I said, contract year. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Different team, not being 1A I think would bring him back into form in a contract year. 

Not sure what you mean by different team, he went from Washington to the Leafs for the 22-23 season and had his best year ever with a .919 save percentage in 42 games.  He lost being first goalie due to his play this season.

5 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Like I said if there is an even a chance Freddie comes back like people are saying, I think we roll with what we have. But if not… he is an absolute steal when he would get up to speed with our team. Sounds like he’s got the same yips Raanta does. But he’s younger and like I said, contract year. 

Yes if Anderson comes back let’s stick with him. I don’t doubt Samsanov would have better stats with the Canes but it’s definitely a gamble without knowing if he’s having issues with an old injury causing his poor play this season.

1 hour ago, DavidEng said:

Yes if Anderson comes back let’s stick with him. I don’t doubt Samsanov would have better stats with the Canes but it’s definitely a gamble without knowing if he’s having issues with an old injury causing his poor play this season.

I absolutely do, the leafs aren’t know for their defense. And our defense is finally clicking. 

1 minute ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Only way I’d be interested in Samsonov is if he was acquired in a trade for Raanta and there was retention.

His cap hit is way to high to put in a claim for him.

Claiming Samsonov would guarantee that we aren’t able to make a move at the deadline.

It all depends on Freddie. We’d have 3~ if we pick him up and keep Freddie on IR + Raanta in the minors. 

8 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

It all depends on Freddie. We’d have 3~ if we pick him up and keep Freddie on IR + Raanta in the minors. 

Freddie is on regular IR not LTIR, his cap space still counts. In fact, we don’t even have the cap space to claim Samsonov right now. Freddie would have to moved to LTIR to get it done and Raanta would obviously be sent down.

If Freddie isn’t coming back then maybe it makes sense to do this but there was a report a week ago that Andersen is going to resume skating soon.

I personally believes this only makes sense if the Canes and Leafs swap Raanta and Samsonov and the Leafs retain to match salaries.

I think we roll with who we have. If Anderson isn't ready by the TDL, we may see him go to LTIR just to free up some money for a trade.

And I still believe Drury and Pesce are in play. Maybe TDA and Lemiux, but neither of them will bring much In return.

1 minute ago, Anybodyhome said:

I think we roll with who we have. If Anderson isn't ready by the TDL, we may see him go to LTIR just to free up some money for a trade.

And I still believe Drury and Pesce are in play. Maybe TDA and Lemiux, but neither of them will bring much In return.

Oh I agree but if we want to a make any move. This is the move. 

4 hours ago, DavidEng said:

I don’t know what’s up with him but he’s been lit up this year with a worse than Raanta GAA. Granted against some good teams. If he can get back to his 22-23 stats might be worth a gamble.  

E8B90B26-9CB6-483D-8ED2-6AD8955A25FC.jpeg.fb14354ef9c4ae648369846054947721.jpeg

Raantas save% is worse