• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Raw Room - Ep 190 - Wounded Warriors Breath (ft Devin Funchess)

Icege

6 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

SMH. Clay and Bersin have 1 receiving TD combined in their careers so yeah, I trust that KB would have caught that simple end zone route that he had done many times for us.

Funchess led the team in receiving TDs in 2017. KB was tied with Byrd for 3rd with 2 TDs. CMC was 2nd. Byrd was on IR for the playoff game and also missed 7 games, and KB was traded in the middle of those 7 games.

Even though KB was traded half way and also in the dog house, he still was 2nd among WRs/TEs with those measly 2 TDs. You can try all you want, but KB was a better red zone TD threat than every WR we had except Funchess, who was clearly hurt.

Sorry Marty, you made a mistake when you traded KB in the middle of the season when the only serviceable WR we had healthy was Funchess. It showed in the playoff game when we depended on a WR with no career TDs and lost the game because of his dropped easy TD.

Just to be clear, I’m not and never was talking about Funchess’ drop. I’m talking about Clay’s drop earlier where we got 0 points due to missing the short FG after the easy TD drop. KB wasn’t replacing Funchess, he would have been the other starter over Clay, Bersin and whatever other trash we had.

If I had to chose between the 4 to make a have to have TD catch, it would have been Bersin. He had hands of glue. If we could have put his fearlessness, work ethic and hands onto KB, that would have been something to see. 

On 1/19/2024 at 9:04 AM, WhoKnows said:

Too bad he never made the jump past his first couple years, but he was really cool when he met my youngest at a charity event. Pretty sure he was the only signature my middle son got at fan fest, both years ago.

Funny story about Gaulden since he was taken with the pick we got for KB. Either Funchess misremembered or they had a joint practice with Buffalo. Gaulden and KB were never on the same Panther team. Horrible pick. I remember the anger in here when we picked Donte one pick after Jessie Bates (and before Justin Reid, Fred Warner and others). We needed a safety and of course taking Gaulden one pick before Mark Andrews when Olsen had just missed most of 2017 with his foot injury so TE was a big need as well. We all hated that pick as Gaulden was literally the least athletic DB at the combine and he lasted under 2 years with us.

Damn, Marty really was bad after the first round.

Must have been Jarius Wright. They wore 13 after KB.

On 1/17/2024 at 4:35 PM, CamTheMan said:

In fairness to him (kind of), he was at best a WR3 or WR4 serving as a WR1 and was injured. He definitely sucks but the fact the WR core consisted of Devin Funchess, Russell Shephard, Brenton Bersin, Kaelin Clay, and Damiere Byrd… IN A PLAYOFF GAME… shows how god damn awful Gettleman was (and how good cam was).

The year was 2017.

My boards told us to draft Jarvis Landry (2014) & Martavis Bryant (2014) instead of Kelvin Benjamin & Kony Ealy. Chris Conley (2015), Stefon Diggs (2015) & Josh Robinson (2015) instead of using 3 picks on Funchess. Hunter Henry (2016) & Austin Hooper (Hooper) instead of Vernon Davis. CMC (2017) & Cooper Kupp (2017) over Curtis Samuel.

I was always looking to get 2 receiving threats for Cam every year until he had 5 good playmaking/route running/good hands targets to get 85% of the targets like Greg Olsen & Steve Smith. Big targets like Benjamin & Funchess were never the answer.

Would have been CMC, Stefon Diggs, Jarvis Landry, Cooper Kupp, Greg Olsen & Hunter Henry in 2017 if I had my way. Jonathan Stewart, Chris Conley, Martavis Bryant & Austin Hooper would have found themselves sharing 10% of the targets in 2017.

Edited by CPantherKing

16 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Gotta love a good hindsight GM… I mean I would have just passed on CMC and drafted Mahomes. 

Hindsight isn't possible when they're on the board. A few of us pointed out Diggs in 2015 as the sleeper receiver. Landry, Bryant, Henry, Hooper & CMC were known by all here. Conley is good, but not as good as I thought he would be. Kupp was the #6 receiving option in 2017 for me behind CMC, John Ross, Zay Jones, David Njoku & OJ Howard. They were all gone early & Kupp had pedigree like CMC.

The point is you keep taking 2 receiving targets per year until you have 5 good ones. There is no luxury to trade up for a Funchess.

Davante Adams, Tyreek Hill & Tyler Lockett would be hindsight GM.

Edited by CPantherKing