• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Browns GM Holmgren defends decision to sign Delhomme

The Saltman

Wait...what?

I get what he is saying though. Jake was brought in to be a leader and motivation to the team. Too bad Holmgren used the SAME old tired excuse for Delhomme's play.

We all know the good ol' foxism of "It is what it is". But there is a rare Holmgrenism known as "It is what it's not".

It's not an excuse. Holmgren's not in a position to have to make excuses (not yet, anyway).

He really believes it. If he didn't, they wouldn't have signed him to the contract they did.

Never know. He could be right.

(I don't think he is, but then I'm not a successful NFL head coach and QB guru, am I?)

Meh...but I see these lines so much...

-Mangini talks about how the "2003 Super Bowl Delhomme" made an impression on him

-Holmgren basically says Jake picked a bad year to have a bad year.

We all know the good ol' foxism of "It is what it is". But there is a rare Holmgrenism known as "It is what it's not".

:lol:

I think it's a great move for the Browns and Jake. I feel like he's going to bounce back big this year. I would've liked for us to keep him at least as a backup, but it just wouldn't have worked after him being the leader all those years, and it was time to part ways.

It's best for both sides...

That being said, it makes me proud to read what Holmgren and Mangini said about Jake. It shows that opposing coaches and FO guys saw what I always did and what a great deal of our own fanbase didn't - Jake is a winner and a leader of men.

That's exactly what the Browns needed. You can't win if you don't have a leader, especially when you lack one at the QB position. Looking at Anderson and Quinn, that tells you exactly why they've sucked. There wasn't anyone in there to make everyone feel accountable from what I've read and seen.

Best of luck to the Browns this year, except when we play.

If Jake gets back to somewhere between early 07 and reg season 08 then the Browns might surprise some people. Maybe even have a winning record. They have a good FO in place now, they have a ton of picks (12 total). They've filled some holes and improved in other areas.

Browns coach Eric Mangini, who coached in New England back in 2003 when the Patriots defeated the Panthers in the Super Bowl, said Delhomme left an impression on him that year.

“I’ve known Jake a long time,” said Mangini. “I was the DB (defensive backs) coach for that Super Bowl against Carolina. We felt pretty good going into that first half, one of the lowest scoring Super Bowls and that last 30 minutes was part of the worst coaching experience I’ve had, the way he lit us up.”

That was 7 years ago. That Jake hasn't been seen in quite a while. Its amazing what a little success in the NFL can get you salary wise, even if not recently .

If the browns win more than 7 games ill be surprised.

look at their division, they play the nfc south. Its not going to happen.

edit: add the jets and patriots to that also.

LOL if you guys think the browns are going to have a winning record.

I think you meant the AFC there. 7 games was kind of the point of my post hence the maybe even a winning record.

the afc north plays the nfc south this year. but I got what ure saying. all nfc divisions play an afc division every year.

If the Panthers played the Browns or Lions more they might have a lot more good looking seasons by now!

Archived