• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Strategy going forward

Still possible we sign a strong C or attack early in the draft. Its and AND for WR, FA and early in draft. 

Lots of suitors for Higgins. That will be the test, does this team, like in the past overpay for guys or get the money matched well with the talent. If we can get Higgins for a second, then fair, anymore than that and should be a no. Feel like a TE is in the works too. 

Beyond those I think we chase value everywhere else. Won't try to fix the defense till next year. Gonna be a bunch of shoot out games, that we mostly lose. 

This year will be all about getting an offensive identity that can score points. 

One exception, I could see us targeting NT. The quickest way to improve the defense is to quit getting gashed on the ground. Can fix that with a run stopper at LB and a big NT. Those guys can be had for reasonable compensation. 

Edited by Panthero
  • Pie 2

I think a C is a lock for one of the first two picks given how much of a need it is and how the draft will play out. You'll probably get one of the top 2 centers at 33. That then lets you have Christensen and Corbett as depth.

If they get a top WR in FA then I think the other second rounder could be used on an edge rusher with a WR being taken in the third or 4th round.

Edited by Billy Goat
  • Pie 1

3 minutes ago, shaq said:

Would rather not trade draft picks for Higgens, save our picks and just pay Ridley!

if its only 39, i'd be ok with it. burns for a second, higgens for a second. i'd say we win that swap but yeah if he gets expensive then move along. Dont overpay at this stage of a build. cant do that. 

10 minutes ago, Chad_Cota said:

Sign Ridley and trade for Higgins. WR1: Higgins, WR2: Ridley, Slot: theilen. Superbowl

lol. may take a little more than that but fair enough. i'd prefer Higgins (give em that 39th) and AD Mitchell at 33. 

• Pie 1

Ridley is 5 years older than Higgins.  I think Higgins is what we are going to do, because if the rebuild takes 3 years, he is 28 when we are ready to compete.  We can draft a WR later in the draft--which is probably the plan since I have seen them interviewing and visiting WRs who might be there on day 3.

I have mixed emotions about signing Higgins, but most of the experts think it is what the panthers should do--heck, if they are going to pay $$$$ to guards, a potential #1 WR should be a steal. 

I mean, there are WRs in this draft who are 24, so trading for a seasoned. proven veteran who is 25 might be the play.  You have to look at our history of drafting WRs in the second round and later.  In fact, the difference between first and second rounders in the NFL in terms of success is very slim.  I found this article to be interesting:

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/statistics-show-finding-a-pro-bowl-wr-is-more-likely-in-the-2nd-round-than-the-1st-252

So there is something to be said, especially in this draft, for drafting 2 WRs in round 2 instead of giving a 25 year old disgruntled WR $20m per in a trade.  Get the 2 young WRs with first round grades at age 21 and develop them.  

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Panthero said:

Still possible we sign a strong C or attack early in the draft. Its and AND for WR, FA and early in draft. 

Lots of suitors for Higgins. That will be the test, does this team, like in the past overpay for guys or get the money matched well with the talent. If we can get Higgins for a second, then fair, anymore than that and should be a no. Feel like a TE is in the works too. 

Beyond those I think we chase value everywhere else. Won't try to fix the defense till next year. Gonna be a bunch of shoot out games, that we mostly lose. 

This year will be all about getting an offensive identity that can score points. 

One exception, I could see us targeting NT. The quickest way to improve the defense is to quit getting gashed on the ground. Can fix that with a run stopper at LB and a big NT. Those guys can be had for reasonable compensation. 

He’s old but has been the model of consistency, I’d love to pair Brown with Sheldon Richardson. 

• Beer 1