• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Some Media Panthers Draft Grades & Some Thoughts

TD alt

20 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

I’m hopeful but I was just stating the facts on where our grades were. We were not consistently getting lauded for our draft. Almost every grading I read put us in the bottom 10. I’m also not convinced we went BPA, especially in round 3 and day 3, with the exception of Sanders.

Well, like college recruiting when you get outside the Top 10, it’s a crapshoot until you get to three years down the road. College recruiting rankings are a farce when you get about 1/4 of the way through the four stars. 

the same can be said for the NFL draft. Outside of the top 10 picks, no one really knows what a player will become. 

I put less stock in media grades than I do in the current administration bringing energy prices down to an affordable level, and that’s already at zero. 

I honestly don’t look at these. Ones we’ve had the highest rankings on have turned out to be busts. Also, these talking heads don’t take the time to analyze the systems they’re going into. For once, it seemed like we had a plan as each have the same characteristics: tough, high IQ, football junkies, etc. Overall, I’m happy. 

• Beer 1

44 minutes ago, Tarheel119 said:

I honestly don’t look at these. Ones we’ve had the highest rankings on have turned out to be busts. Also, these talking heads don’t take the time to analyze the systems they’re going into. For once, it seemed like we had a plan as each have the same characteristics: tough, high IQ, football junkies, etc. Overall, I’m happy. 

Not to be a Debbie Downer but we say the same thing every year since our last playoff appearance. X is gone and we have a better plan and now Y is unrestrained and can do his thing while Z now fits the new scheme, etc.

We’ve been consistently ranked in the bottom half recently and that doesn’t usually take into account all the draft picks we’ve pissed away on bad trades. Those grades have been spot on for 6 years.

I have a lot less issue with this draft compared to say the idiocy of ignoring OL as a huge weakness in 2021 or trading up for Little, DJ Johnson and Corral, but I still feel like there will be a bunch of guys we’ll wonder why the heck we didn’t take them. Hopefully, these guys ball out and we get 3+ impact starters, not just starters like Ian Thomas.

Edited by WhoKnows

Why I ignore draft grades.

2022 NFL Draft: Final quick-snap grades for all 32 teams

Draft picks

N.C. State OT Ickey Ekwonu (No. 6 overall)

Ole Miss QB Matt Corral (No. 94 overall)

Penn State LB Brandon Smith (No. 120 overall)

Virginia Tech Edge Amaré Barno (No. 189 overall)

Tennessee OG Cade Mays (No. 199 overall)

Baylor CB Kalon Barnes (No. 242 overall)

Day 1 grade: A

Day 2 grade: B

Day 3 grade: A

2017 NFL Draft: Quick-snap grades for all 32 teams

Kansas City Chiefs
Draft picks:Patrick Mahomes (No. 10 overall), Tanoh Kpassagnon (No. 59 overall), Kareem Hunt (No. 86 overall), Jehu Chesson (No. 139 overall), Ukeme Eligwe (No. 183 overall), Leon McQuay (No. 217 overall)
Day 1 grade: B+
Day 2 grade: A
Day 3 grade: C
Overall grade: B+

Draft grades right after the draft are the most asinine things imaginable. Most of the “can’t miss” picks are gonna wind up doing fug all and people will look back and say how teams were stupid because X player didn’t get drafted till round 5…