• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers run ONE play on repeat

17 hours ago, frankw said:

I don't remember hearing much if any at all doubts about Joe's arm talent.

Caleb Williams as much poo as people talk about him no one is worried about his arm.

And neither were sub 6 foot QB's to boot.

When you're an outlier amongst outliers physically and you refuse to participate at the combine you better walk on water as Bill Parcells said.

Arm strength is the first negative listed on every draft profile for Burrow.

Just now, csx said:

Arm strength is the first negative listed on every draft profile for Burrow.

So you watched Burrow win the national championship and thought to yourself "this guy has a terrible arm"?

• Beer 1

41 minutes ago, frankw said:

So you watched Burrow win the national championship and thought to yourself "this guy has a terrible arm"?

He would lob it up to JJ, Chase, or Marshall.  It's the same thing with Tua having Waddle and HIll.  Arm strength was always an issue for Burrow.  He is constantly working on ways to improve it in the offseason and adjusts his game to make up for it.  I've said several times if Young wants to find success in this league he needs to look hard at Joe Burrow.

Here is a good read on how he is breaking the mold of big armed QBs.  

https://theanalyst.com/na/2022/02/the-rise-of-cincinnati-bengals-joe-burrow-super-bowl-lvi/

While Burrow does not have elite arm strength, or even above average arm strength, the level of athleticism in his lower half allows him to compensate for the lack of a pocket around him. As evidenced in the AFC championship game, Burrow’s athleticism led to clutch play after clutch play despite having Chris Jones and company constantly in his face.

3 hours ago, CRA said:

maybe the plan was bad....because David Tepper moved up to draft a QB David Tepper wanted....and told his new HC he was going to have to play his new QB day 1.  I think so much of the #1 overall pick was PR/marketing for David Tepper.  Try to change the tide. Add some excitement.   I think Frank was given a plan that Frank didn't design or view as he would have come up with. 

I don't think Bryce fit Frank's brand of football.  And that was that.  Frank wasn't going to reinvent the wheel for Bryce because that isn't Frank.   It's not most NFL coaches.  They got to where they are doing what they do. 

Yeah hindsight shows it was a bad idea from the beginning.  If Tepper was sold on Young he should have hired a young open minded offensive HC to coach him and create an offense around him.  Honestly the Colts new HC would have been a great choice, but he likes his QBs running more than Bryce should.  

12 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah hindsight shows it was a bad idea from the beginning.  If Tepper was sold on Young he should have hired a young open minded offensive HC to coach him and create an offense around him.  Honestly the Colts new HC would have been a great choice, but he likes his QBs running more than Bryce should.  

Not following up with Shane S is the classic type of stupid and moronic decision that I have grown accustomed to from the teppers.  He is the epitome of what tepper said he was looking for.

This still infuriates me to this day.  I mean how can you be this fuging stupid?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

24 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

He would lob it up to JJ, Chase, or Marshall.  It's the same thing with Tua having Waddle and HIll.  Arm strength was always an issue for Burrow.  He is constantly working on ways to improve it in the offseason and adjusts his game to make up for it.  I've said several times if Young wants to find success in this league he needs to look hard at Joe Burrow.

Here is a good read on how he is breaking the mold of big armed QBs.  

https://theanalyst.com/na/2022/02/the-rise-of-cincinnati-bengals-joe-burrow-super-bowl-lvi/

While Burrow does not have elite arm strength, or even above average arm strength, the level of athleticism in his lower half allows him to compensate for the lack of a pocket around him. As evidenced in the AFC championship game, Burrow’s athleticism led to clutch play after clutch play despite having Chris Jones and company constantly in his face.

The term "elite" seems to be the key in any questions linked to his arm. I don't see anyone saying he didn't possess an NFL arm. Let's be honest the elite addition to arm strength is subjective at best in today's NFL.

You don't absolutely have to be able to throw a frozen rope 60+ yards through the air to succeed.

But you do have to be able to demonstrate some level of consistent success particularly as a deep passer.

Burrow passed the eye test that's all there is to it.

Anyone that tries to tell you Bryce Young passed the eye test in the arm strength dept is engaging in self deception.

8 minutes ago, frankw said:

The term "elite" seems to be the key in any questions linked to his arm. I don't see anyone saying he didn't possess an NFL arm. Let's be honest the elite addition to arm strength is subjective at best in today's NFL.

You don't absolutely have to be able to throw a frozen rope 60+ yards through the air to succeed.

But you do have to be able to demonstrate some level of consistent success particularly as a deep passer.

Burrow passed the eye test that's all there is to it.

Anyone that tries to tell you Bryce Young passed the eye test in the arm strength dept is engaging in self deception.

doesn't have "elite" or even "above average".  It is very close to what they were saying in the Young draft profiles.  Good not great, average not elite etc..  From Walter Football

Weaknesses:

• Arm strength limitations
  • Smaller hands – nine inches
  • One-year wonder

It was the only real knock on Burrow.  Arm was nothing special and they tried to make a deal about his smaller hands lol which was a joke....

I really liked/like Burrow.  I see few stay as calm as he does in the pocket.  He needs to stay healthy this year though or it might become a thing for him...

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

doesn't have "elite" or even "above average".  It is very close to what they were saying in the Young draft profiles.  Good not great, average not elite etc..  From Walter Football

Weaknesses:

• Arm strength limitations
  • Smaller hands – nine inches
  • One-year wonder

It was the only real knock on Burrow.  Arm was nothing special and they tried to make a deal about his smaller hands lol which was a joke....

I really liked/like Burrow.  I see few stay as calm as he does in the pocket.  He needs to stay healthy this year though or it might become a thing for him...

Draft profiles are often wrong the film tells you what you need to know. Most people who watched him play knew what he was capable of. And he had the prototypical size you seek. I wanted him to be a Carolina Panther. We won so many irrelevant games the last several years when it didn't matter and missed on the top pick because of it. Did nothing for our culture going forward either. Finally we got desperate. Welp...

I'd like to see him humble the Chiefs again. Parity is good.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, frankw said:

Burrow doesn't have a good NFL arm.  Frankly, neither does Tom Brady.  So a great arm isn't a requirement.  But if you don't have a great arm, you need to have a lot of other things in spades. 

Burrow beat Clemson simply because he was smart and figured out the weakness in a D....and then aggressively attacked it.   People forget Clemson had his number early in that game.   But once Burrow figured out what Clemson couldn't stop...it was ballgame.   

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Burrow doesn't have a good NFL arm.  Frankly, neither does Tom Brady.  So a great arm isn't a requirement.  But if you don't have a great arm, you need to have a lot of other things in spades. 

Burrow beat Clemson simply because he was smart and figured out the weakness in a D....and then aggressively attacked it.   People forget Clemson had his number early in that game.   But once Burrow figured out what Clemson couldn't stop...it was ballgame. 

I understand the point you're trying to make but Brady didn't win all those Superbowls without a good arm. You see how Bill B has done without him.

I think we're getting tangled up in the significance of labels on this discussion. Good. Elite. Average. Above/below average. What it boils down to is what the individual can do when the rubber meets the road. You either can throw an adequate deep ball when situation requires or you can't.

Burrow is certainly an intelligent QB. The Championship game was a combo of that and obviously a very well crafted gameplan. But IQ or "processing" ability only get you so far as well. I mean Bryce Young was regarded by many as damn near a 22 year old Professor Charles Xavier on the football field leading up to the draft. Didn't make a damn bit of difference in 16 games. Your phsyical talent shows up on the film or it doesn't.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, frankw said:

I understand the point you're trying to make but Brady didn't win all those Superbowls without a good arm. You see how Bill B has done without him.

I think we're getting tangled up in the significance of labels on this discussion. Good. Elite. Average. Above/below average. What it boils down to is what the individual can do when the rubber meets the road. You either can throw an adequate deep ball when situation requires or you can't.

Burrow is certainly an intelligent QB. The Championship game was a combo of that and obviously a very well crafted gameplan. But IQ or "processing" ability only get you so far as well. I mean Bryce Young was regarded by many as damn near a 22 year old Professor Charles Xavier on the football field leading up to the draft. Didn't make a damn bit of difference in 16 games. Your phsyical talent shows up on the film or it doesn't.

I think the big issue is everyone has different meanings of "great arm".  Brett Favre had a great arm.  Brett Favre's arm did things Tom Brady could not do with his arm not matter how much he would want to do it.    That's just raw arm talent.  Cam Newton had crazy arm talent.  Means he could be flat footed and launch a ball without his body.....and get it to a distance and at a trajectory Brady couldn't in the same setup.  Just raw arm talent. 

Doesn't mean Tom Brady couldn't drop dimes all over a D and carve them up in a way Favre couldn't......despite Favre or Cam (early) having a better raw arm. 

So again, you don't need a great NFL arm.  But you need all the other tools to be there.  Old QBs often end up there.  Some start there.  Some can be elite and even reach GOAT status without great arms.  Because they got the brains, pocket play, ball placement, etc. coming out their ears. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, frankw said:

I think the big issue is everyone has different meanings of "great arm".  Brett Favre had a great arm.  Brett Favre's arm did things Tom Brady could not do with his arm not matter how much he would want to do it.    That's just raw arm talent.  Cam Newton had crazy arm talent.  Means he could be flat footed and launch a ball without his body.....and get it to a distance and at a trajectory Brady couldn't in the same setup.  Just raw arm talent. 

Doesn't mean Tom Brady couldn't drop dimes all over a D and carve them up in a way Favre couldn't......despite Favre or Cam (early) having a better raw arm. 

So again, you don't need a great NFL arm.  But you need all the other tools to be there.  Old QBs often end up there.  Some start there.  Some can be elite and even reach GOAT status without great arms.  Because they got the brains, pocket play, ball placement, etc. coming out their ears. 

In the end, Bryce Young looks to be your standard Bama QB.  Largely a product of playing on the best roster in all of NFL football with a GOAT coach on top of that.  

Older QBs surviving playing well after they have lost their fastball is an excellent point. They have a career of experience and could do things with Young’s arm that he can’t do. I think it is maybe not apples to apples. 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, strato said:

Older QBs surviving playing well after they have lost their fastball is an excellent point. They have a career of experience and could do things with Young’s arm that he can’t do. I think it is maybe not apples to apples. 

Brees' arm got noticeable weaker and he was still top tier.  But he basically had a HOF career brain in that head by that point.  People sometimes forget, young Brees was a downfield gambler.   He wasn't always the small ball guy.