• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Question about dropping a class

Johnny Rockets

I'll try to make this story as brief as possible....

Son is a high school senior

Son overloaded classes this semester with college credit Calculus and English (2 hardest classes/teachers in school)

Son wants to pass calculus college test to skip it in college.

Spoke to both teachers who agree that it will be 2-3 hours homework per night in each class, more at times in the English class but that he could do both with a lot of hard work.

Son wants to drop English course (slide down to a regular English class) to focus on Calculus class. English is his weakest subject.

Principal voids it this morning and calls us to say that it would be very bad on his transcript when applying to college but ultimately it is our decission.

Background: Son is a good kid with very high work/study habits. Ranked in top 10 of class of almost 400. I don't get the feeling he is trying to be lazy at all but that he really is worried it will hurt his GPA if he keeps both classes.

Question:

How bad is it when applying to college if he drops that class and would it be worse than possibly risking his GPA (which is around 4.5 right now)?

wtf kinda sicko gives 3 hours of Homework a night ?

Homework + studying

This English teacher prides herself in having a class "that is harder than any class you will take in college". Just listening to her you can tell she takes enjoyment out of that.

Plus a lot of this stuff does not come naturally to my kid as it does for others and he has to put in the extra effort to get it. He spends a lot of time after school getting extra help from his teachers in order to prepare. He is driven by his GPA and spends 3-4 hours a night studying and working on homework as it is.

My God, I just realized my kid is a nerd isn't he? :eek:

If he succeeds at this nothing in college will ever be overwhelming to him.

This is something me and the wife have discussed. Good step into reality. We have to make a decision today. We thought about telling him not to worry about working on the weekends, or anything else. We would take care of his gas, insurance, etc. and his only job this semester is to focus on these classes. Think that is the way we will go. I just wasn't sure if what the principal was telling us about the consequences of dropping the class were exaggerated or not.

I don't remember AP Calc being that bad.

I remember in high school, the teachers of the higher level classes would try to scare you by telling you how much out-of-class work you were going to get, so you'd take their class seriously... only to go much easier on you in reality. Wonder if this is the same thing.

This is something me and the wife have discussed. Good step into reality. We have to make a decision today. We thought about telling him not to worry about working on the weekends, or anything else. We would take care of his gas, insurance, etc. and his only job this semester is to focus on these classes. Think that is the way we will go. I just wasn't sure if what the principal was telling us about the consequences of dropping the class were exaggerated or not.

I say let him enjoy his senior year. He should be drinking beer and giving freshman wedgies, not studying and eating veggies.

Homework + studying

This English teacher prides herself in having a class "that is harder than any class you will take in college". Just listening to her you can tell she takes enjoyment out of that.

Plus a lot of this stuff does not come naturally to my kid as it does for others and he has to put in the extra effort to get it. He spends a lot of time after school getting extra help from his teachers in order to prepare. He is driven by his GPA and spends 3-4 hours a night studying and working on homework as it is.

My God, I just realized my kid is a nerd isn't he? :eek:

She can try that all she wants, but unless he's a psych, comm, or socio major it ain't gonna happen. Good intro, though.

1.) Is it AP AB Calc? Or BC?

2.) I'm guessing his GPA is weight via AP classes, would taking the lower level English, and getting an A, lower his GPA worse than getting a B or C in the AP version?

3.) I don't think it would look that bad, transcripts are just a bit part of the whole look. Especially since he's so high in a pretty large graduating class.

And if he's still hardcore into science, he dunt nead 2 meny Engrish classses anywai.

Archived