• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Big Tank Released From Duty

Mage

I'm astounded at the amount of b*tching going on about a third string DT. Johnson, Landri and Leonard have been sick in the preseason and will be more than sufficient for the season. Tyler would've have been the fourth or fifth DT and never would have seen the field.

Wait, sorry, I didn't mean to make a comment that wasn't absurdly melodramatic. I forgot that we are all supposed to react like twelve-year-old girls to each and every decision the FO and coaching staff makes. It won't happen again.

Watching the preseason games, I was seeing Tyler getting push at the LOS. Moreover, the way Meeks employs his Defensive schemes, there is a lot of rotation on the line. Hence, Hayden will see playing time unless he is not activated (which I hope is the case). Whenever I saw an inside run go for significant yardage this preseason, Hayden was probably part of it.

I didn't want to believe the salary argument, but I am left to wonder now.

tyler is another guy who didn't play head and shoulders above e. johnson(FA)neblett(undrafted rookie)landri(waiver pick up)or hayden. it also important to remember that both brayton and c. johnson can play dt for us, in fact i feel that johnson would make one beast of a up tackle with his combination of speed& power built into his compact frame . if hardy& brown continue to improve we may move johnson inside to get our 4 best dlineman on the field together

Tyler started the preseason with the ones, and ended with the threes. For whatever reason, Meeks & Baker decided he wasn't among their five best defensive ends. I suspect that in a different system that may have changed. Meeks' overall scheme clearly values speed and a burst, and that may not be Tyler's game. I'm betting he signs elsewhere and gets good playing time this season.

And as far as Hayden, all I know is he's an effort guy who's just plain hated around here. As I recall, his first playing time came as a rookie when Kemo went down in New York, and he was asked to play the Nose Tackle--a position he's never been suited for. Then in the offseason we hire Meeks and he loses weight to become faster, and hence a better fit for Meeks' system. Kemo goes down again, and again he's called on to play Nose Tackle. And he does it without complaint, and he hustles from beginning to end even though he can't command the double team like a Nose Tackle generally does. From those games, impressions are made that have since become indelible.

The coaches like Hayden, he shows up and works hard, he plays with a ton of effort, and he does what's asked of him without hesitation. There must be something of value there, right?

The coaches like Hayden, he shows up and works hard, he plays with a ton of effort, and he does what's asked of him without hesitation. There must be something of value there, right?

just look at a guy like landri, he plays all out does whatever is asked of him and now 4 to 5 years in the league is starting to get more playing time. hayden IMO will be inactive most of the time but if he does play will only play a few snaps per game unless somebody gets hurt. most of us would like talent &effort but few players seem to have both

per Gantt:

Money talks. Especially this year.

Let's take a look at this.

You have a player in Nesblett or Hayden that played just as well as Tyler....you save over 3/4 of a million dollars by keeping Nesblett or Hayden. What would you do?

They did not make this decision based on money. However, keeping a player that costs you more and gives you nothing more on the field would be stupid.

Whether you want to accept it or not, this is a business.

Tyler started the preseason with the ones, and ended with the threes. For whatever reason, Meeks & Baker decided he wasn't among their five best defensive ends. I suspect that in a different system that may have changed. Meeks' overall scheme clearly values speed and a burst, and that may not be Tyler's game. I'm betting he signs elsewhere and gets good playing time this season.

And as far as Hayden, all I know is he's an effort guy who's just plain hated around here. As I recall, his first playing time came as a rookie when Kemo went down in New York, and he was asked to play the Nose Tackle--a position he's never been suited for. Then in the offseason we hire Meeks and he loses weight to become faster, and hence a better fit for Meeks' system. Kemo goes down again, and again he's called on to play Nose Tackle. And he does it without complaint, and he hustles from beginning to end even though he can't command the double team like a Nose Tackle generally does. From those games, impressions are made that have since become indelible.

True..I think the saints will take a look at him if he makes it that far down the waiver wire.

It's amazing how much people hate Nick Hayden around here. Some of those same people hated Peppers for not trying, but at least Hayden gives it his all on every play and does everything the coaches ask him to do. I still believe he's getting better, and will do pretty well as a back up in this system. We will see though.

Archived