• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Question about Sam Mills

mountainpantherfan

I was thinking about the current coaching situation the Panthers are in and was wonder what other people's opinions were about a thought I had.

Does anyone think that if Mills had not gotten cancer and eventually died that he would have taken over as DC in 2004 and then became the head coach at some point during Fox's stint as HC? Was he that good of a coach and/or did JR have him on a fast tract?

Just wondering what other people think...

I know he was very important to the franchise as testament to him having the only non management statute outside the stadium(and probably will be for a while). He was a good player and coach and it is very possible that he would have been promoted to DC I'm not sure if he would have become HC though.

he declined to interview as DC in 2003. The job wasn't available in 2004, so I don't know what that date was supposed to signify. So, regardless of living hypotheticals he didn't feel he was ready.

Del Rio left us for the HC job in Jacksonville in 2003, that's why they were interviewing for DC. Beginning of the Turdovac era.

Archived