• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who do you side with in the John Fox vs. Jerry Richardson war?

Sam Mills Fan

I don't know that I especially 'side" with one or the other, but I'll give you the facts as I see them (otherwise known as my opinions).

Knowing that he was going with a youth movement, the smart thing for Richardson to do would have been to fire Fox this season. Still, since Fox's salary was guaranteed, that would have meant paying him six million dollars to live the dream of Peter Gibbons. With a possible lockout pending, there's plenty of rationale for not wasting money. Plus it's a lot easier thing to say someone else should do that sort of thing with their money than it is to do it with yours.

Regardless, the combination of a youth movement roster and a lame duck coach is a recipe for disaster. Jerry thought he could make it work. Hard to believe now because it sounds so implausible. Call it hindsight or not, doesn't matter. He was wrong. That's on him.

Ah, but not entirely on him. Fox isn't exactly doing the things he needs to do to help with a young team (simplifying game plans, adapting the passing game, etc). At heart, Fox is not a coach who's comfortable with having a young team. Fair enough, but now you've got one so you better adapt to it. He didn't, and that's on him.

And then there's the matter of the Pro Football Weekly report saying that Fox and his coaches areessentially half-assing their way through this season. Mind you, this story comes from Pro Football Weekly, not Pro Football Talk. PFW's stories tend to come from bona fide journalists. Again though, whether you believe it or not, the perception is there, and comments like "you'll have to ask the personnel people" don't really help matters either.

Bottom Line: Barring further health issues, Richardson will be here next year. Fox will not. Doesn't matter who's right or who's wrong in this argument. that's just how it is. And honestly, given that this combo of team and coach have reached their ceiling (or hit the wall, depending on which axis you prefer) a mutual parting of ways is probably for the best.

I don't know that I especially 'side" with one or the other, but I'll give you the facts as I see them (otherwise known as my opinions).

Knowing that he was going with a youth movement, the smart thing for Richardson to do would have been to fire Fox this season. Still, since Fox's salary was guaranteed, that would have meant paying him six million dollars to live the dream of Peter Gibbons. With a possible lockout pending, there's plenty of rationale for not wasting money. Plus it's a lot easier thing to say someone else should do that sort of thing with their money than it is to do it with yours.

Regardless, the combination of a youth movement roster and a lame duck coach is a recipe for disaster. Jerry thought he could make it work. Hard to believe now because it sounds so implausible. Call it hindsight or not, doesn't matter. He was wrong. That's on him.

Ah, but not entirely on him. Fox isn't exactly doing the things he needs to do to help with a young team (simplifying game plans, adapting the passing game, etc). At heart, Fox is not a coach who's comfortable with having a young team. Fair enough, but now you've got one so you better adapt to it. He didn't, and that's on him.

And then there's the matter of the Pro Football Weekly report saying that Fox and his coaches areessentially half-assing their way through this season. Mind you, this is Pro Football Weekly, not Pro Football Talk. Their stories come from bona fide journalists. Again though, whether you believe it or not, the perception is there, and comments like "you'll have to ask the personnel people" don't really help matters either.

Bottom Line: Barring further health issues, Richardson will be here next year. Fox will not. Doesn't matter who's right or who's wrong in this argument. that's just how it is. And honestly, given that this combo of team and coach have reached their ceiling (or hit the wall, depending on which axis you prefer) a mutual parting of ways is probably for the best.

well said.

also, one thing to consider for other teams looking to hire fox. he was given a great opportunity to show what he could do with a young team. more than likely, teams are going to be cleaning house when a new coach shows up. has fox shown that he can take a group of young players and make them winners? i don't think you can say he has.

I want both of them to get the hell out of town!!

This.

But if I have to choose, I'm rolling with Foxy. Homie was screwed from the get-go. I appreciate what Mr. Richardson did in bringing the Panthers to the Carolinas, but after what he did this year, I dont trust him in running this franchise.

Archived