• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

MMQB - Peter King on State of the Panthers

raleigh-panther

I think JRs decision may not be as much about being cheap(he gave Jake 12m to go away)but positioning himself for a new CBA.My question is will at the end of the season will we be better off.

I do not see where we will benefit allot but do not understand all the dynamics.I see this season as undermining the PSL holders which appears out of character for him.

The only big contract we eliminated was Delhomme, and he still counted against this years cap.

Players and their cap hits which departed after 2009 season and before 2010 season

Departed players:

Julius Peppers 19.1m

Jake Delhomme 8.6m

Ma'ake Kemoeatu 3.9m

Damione Lewis 3.8m

Landon Johnson 2.1m

Muhsin Muhammad 1.75m

Na'il Diggs 1.7m

Brad Hoover 1.15m

Keydrick Vincent 1m

================

Total: 39m in 2009 salary cap savings, not counting players earning the league minimum

New players:

Approx 2010 earnings(total salary/years):

Jimmy Clausen ~1.6m

Brandon LaFell ~0.9m

Armanti Edwards ~0.6m

Eric Norwood ~0.6m

Greg Hardy (unk)

David Gettis ~0.5m

Jordan Pugh unk

Tony Pike (unk)

FA - Ed Johnson (unk)

=================

Total Probably between 5m and 6m

In 2009, our total salary hit was: 112m http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/nfl/salaries/team

2009 Total 112m

Subtract 39m in players salaries lost.

Add 6m in player salaries signed.

In 2010, I'd expect our salary to be somewhere near 79m +/-5m (70%)

If the salary cap returns to its 2009 level (127m) then we have a huge potential to add talent to the team. However, the true way that we can become a better team is for other teams to be forced to bleed talent as a result of a new CBA which includes a 2011 salary cap that is less than the 2009 salary cap. In this case, we still have many millions of spending to do, and other franchises will have many millions of spending to CUT. The combination is a double whammy, and probably exactly the sort of thing that Richardson had hoped for.

Of course, it might not pan out.

which one of you all wrote in to King's mailbag about the PSL situation?

THE PANTHERS TICKET SITUATION IS NOT AS SIMPLE AS YOU THINK. "You need to do some research on the PSL (Permanent Sucker License) concept used to bring the Panthers to the Carolinas. This is why Mr. [Jerry] Richardson does not have to worry about losing 60 percent of his season-ticket holders. Around 60,000 of us "suckers" bought into Jerry Richardson ability to bring an NFL team to Charlotte. Bottom line is that if you do not renew your season tickets you lose your PSL and the money you invested. In my case it cost me $10,800 in 1993. However, it is becoming a viable option to write off that money rather than to continue to invest $2,000 in a mediocre at best organization. Why pour good money after bad?''

--Terry Meacham, Fort Mill, S.C.

Good point, Terry. Thanks for writing, and for educating me.

Players and their cap hits which departed after 2009 season and before 2010 season

Departed players:

Julius Peppers 19.1m

Jake Delhomme 8.6m

Ma'ake Kemoeatu 3.9m

Damione Lewis 3.8m

Landon Johnson 2.1m

Muhsin Muhammad 1.75m

Na'il Diggs 1.7m

Brad Hoover 1.15m

Keydrick Vincent 1m

================

Total: 39m in 2009 salary cap savings, not counting players earning the league minimum

New players:

Approx 2010 earnings(total salary/years):

Jimmy Clausen ~1.6m

Brandon LaFell ~0.9m

Armanti Edwards ~0.6m

Eric Norwood ~0.6m

Greg Hardy (unk)

David Gettis ~0.5m

Jordan Pugh unk

Tony Pike (unk)

FA - Ed Johnson (unk)

=================

Total Probably between 5m and 6m

In 2009, our total salary hit was: 112m http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/nfl/salaries/team

2009 Total 112m

Subtract 39m in players salaries lost.

Add 6m in player salaries signed.

If the salary cap returns to its 2009 level (127m) then we have a huge potential to add talent to the team. However, the true way that we can become a better team is for other teams to be forced to bleed talent as a result of a new CBA which includes a 2011 salary cap that is less than the 2009 salary cap. In this case, we still have many millions of spending to do, and other franchises will have many millions of spending to CUT. The combination is a double whammy, and probably exactly the sort of thing that Richardson had hoped for.

Of course, it might not pan out.

this post should have its own thread.

You need to factor in the cost of re-signing our FAs, and we have a few who will be expensive.

And it doesn't matter who JR hires or how much he pays. The Stadium can be empty for the first two pre-season games, but as soon as we win one it will start filling back up, and if we look like a .500 team by October he won't have to worry about concessions ether. It's all about winning, or the actual promise of winning.

I just have to wonder, why out of 32 teams in the NFL, Richardson was the only one to take this approach.

But, again, the roster was in decline. This had to happen sooner or later. Not many of the people the Panthers let go of are star players anywhere else except for the obvious one.

This terrible season didn't have to happen. It happened because of JR, and the budget he created for this team. We brought in mediocre low priced cast offs to replace our moderately talented veterans, and our biggest superstar. That was JR's decision, and Fox and Hurney went along with it. JR could have said "Go get a good veteran QB, WR, and two good DT's in free agency. Spend what you need to make this team competitive." Instead he forced Hurney to go dumpster diving for players no other team wanted. Oh wee mayne they f#cking suck. Big suprise? 1-15 on the way.

I love the Carolina Panthers. JR didn't think we would be this bad. Ok. Now I think it's time for someone other than JR to do the thinking for this team. JR needs to retire and enjoy his last few golden years of life, and pass the reigns on to... anyone else interested in winning. I'm very concerned that we'll be going into next season with our new draft picks and that's it. Nothing from free agency. The other teams in the NFC South are going to rape the hell out us if JR goes cheap again. And JR has already made a "build through the draft" statement regarding next season. What draft pick is going to make us competitive against the Saints and Falcons? Luck? I guess that's what we have to believe, isn't it?

Archived