• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Beason comments on Peppers

TouchMeNot97

sensed it as well. i don't really think the players are happy about it. i'm sure they are pissed at him. they just can't really say anything.

They just can't say anything?? What are you talking about. Smitty's not supposed to punch people either but he did it. Why can't you just admit that losing Peppers is a bigger blow than you might think. I think I'll take Beason's word for it.

Yet another current player defending Peppers...first we had Smitty and now Beason. Imagine that.

there really isn't anything to defend. Smitty hit the nail on the head. Peppers is going out just about as well as you can in today's NFL.

Peppers had a career high in sacks this year and WE still talked about him like garbage. When we got back to having to average DEs.....it is going to hurt multiple aspects of our D. Pep giving 80% most downs is still much better than the majority of DEs in the league.

Im not sure how a defensive end can take to much pressure off of a middle LB who drops into coverage the majority of the time.....hell I could see if they had Beason rushing off the edge all the time, but thats not the case....I guess we will just have to find someone else to get schooled by Atlanta's second string LT.

Peppers had a career high in sacks this year and WE still talked about him like garbage. When we got back to having to average DEs.....it is going to hurt multiple aspects of our D. Pep giving 80% most downs is still much better than the majority of DEs in the league.

no man is a team... im ready to take our chances without him.

Kemo was more important to keeping blockers off Beason than Peppers.

Is it just me, or does anyone else get a slight "damn with faint praise" feel out of the second half of that paragraph?

agreed. I just hope Meeks can find a way to use Kemo. Really he is not a cover 2 DT.

no man is a team... im ready to take our chances without him.

true. but one man can have a huge impact. imagine if we didn't have Smitty in 05,06,or 07. Our sufficient offenses would have been downgraded to piss poor. Peppers will have a big impact when taken out of the equation. It is just reality. I got no problem facing it but we are going to hurt b/c of it on defense.

They just can't say anything?? What are you talking about. Smitty's not supposed to punch people either but he did it. Why can't you just admit that losing Peppers is a bigger blow than you might think. I think I'll take Beason's word for it.

settle down there, pony. it's called being diplomatic. they shouldn't say anything to stir the pot. trying to keep the peace. they are supposed to be civil. they are members of the panthers but they are also members of the NFLPA so they need to have each others backs in both areas. they didn't criticize peppers or the organization in anything that they said.

btw...I have never said that losing peppers isn't going to hurt. I don't think that it is anything close to being the death of the team and not a reason to panic. they are going to be able to compensate for his loss and when all is said and done will have a stronger defense. it would be good if he stayed but it would be a worse loss if he was more consistent.

we will be fine.

I'm beginning to wonder if Peppers just got tired of being made fun of on the radio and hearing/reading about all the hate from the fans. If I were him and had to listen to my name being stomped on like that, I wouldn't want to be here anymore either. Even Jake Delhomme never got as much criticism as Peppers does nowadays.

the real hate didn't start until he decided to run.

we invested a lot in him and offer him a giant contract to make him the highest paid DE in the NFL ever and he walks away? no way are people going to feel good about that. no reason they should.

he got a lot of criticism in '07 because he was getting paid so much to do so little. he turned it around this year and then turned on us.

he is getting what he deserves now.

if by some miracle he re-signs and stays a panther he is going to have to understand where the fans were coming from as much as he wants us to know where he is coming from now.

if he didn't want to be criticized for not giving it everything he has on every play then he should have done that. the only one really holding him back was himself. he is the only thing preventing him from continuing his success here.

the real hate didn't start until he decided to run.

we invested a lot in him and offer him a giant contract to make him the highest paid DE in the NFL ever and he walks away? no way are people going to feel good about that. no reason they should.

he got a lot of criticism in '07 because he was getting paid so much to do so little. he turned it around this year and then turned on us.

he is getting what he deserves now.

if by some miracle he re-signs and stays a panther he is going to have to understand where the fans were coming from as much as he wants us to know where he is coming from now.

if he didn't want to be criticized for not giving it everything he has on every play then he should have done that. the only one really holding him back was himself. he is the only thing preventing him from continuing his success here.

Werd.

Buckner might be overly negative about Peppers, but he really did make what I'd consider to be the definitive comment about what he truly is.

Buckner has repeatedly called him an "athlete" not a "football player".

Because he is already such a phenomenal athlete, if a coach could turn him into a football player, you'd have something close to an unstoppable force.

Fox and company couldn't. Maybe with more time they could have, and I'd still be in favor if trying if it were possible, but the point is moot. It's now somebody else's task.

And being brutally honest, if they succeed where the Panthers failed, its really going to suck :(

Archived