• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A non sugar-coated look at Jimmy's season

Ricky Spanish

here's one major problem i have with clausen. can any of you see him calling out smith when he makes a mistake, or any other player for that matter? as QB he is supposed to take charge of that offense. he is supposed to be the field general. i just don't see anything in his demeanor or maturity level that says he will be able to do that or him being a personality that the other players will respond to.

this may be one area that (and i can't believe that i am actually saying this) fox may have been right on. his feeling about the QB was that they should be the conummate professional on and off the field so that the guys in the huddle would look up to him. i think thats also why he preferred older QBs as well. i'm not saying that we need to go out and get an older vet to build around, but we do really need someone that has a good amount of maturity, even if it's just in the way he is on the field. when you see clausen's tweets, you really don't get the sense that he is anything more than a regular dumb college kid.

here's one major problem i have with clausen. can any of you see him calling out smith when he makes a mistake, or any other player for that matter? as QB he is supposed to take charge of that offense. he is supposed to be the field general. i just don't see anything in his demeanor or maturity level that says he will be able to do that or him being a personality that the other players will respond to.

this may be one area that (and i can't believe that i am actually saying this) fox may have been right on. his feeling about the QB was that they should be the conummate professional on and off the field so that the guys in the huddle would look up to him. i think thats also why he preferred older QBs as well. i'm not saying that we need to go out and get an older vet to build around, but we do really need someone that has a good amount of maturity, even if it's just in the way he is on the field. when you see clausen's tweets, you really don't get the sense that he is anything more than a regular dumb college kid.

Rayzor, you've hit on what I feel is really the only genuine problem with Clausen. I can go back and forth with the haters on mechanics, decision making, accuracy, etc. all day. They're all fixable through good coaching, they all tend to improve after a rookie season, and I think they'll all be measurably better next year. I truly believe that Clausen will become a decent enough game manager at worst next year.

BUT, your point remains. Is he a leader? And can a rookie even call out someone like Smith? Well, of course they can. You don't have to be in someone's face to call them out. You can appeal to their sense of duty, or pride, or you can get them mad, or you can get them excited about possibilities. Whatever the method, a leader can get them pumped up and ready to perform.

Granted, that's not something that you can really measure, or even see on the field. A sense of it has to come from other players. You never saw "Leadership - 10/14" on Jake Delhomme's stat sheet, but you heard other players talk about what a great leader he was. And that's how you knew it was true. And that's something that we didn't hear said about Jimmy Clausen all season.

So is that because you don't hear it about rookies much? And even less about QBs who are playing poorly on struggling teams? Or is it because it's lacking? (I know that a lot of people have already decided on this, and lumped it in with all their other expert criticisms). Regardless, I think he could spend some time in the off season studying this: http://www.ecclesia.org/truth/friends.html

If he's ever going to become a GOOD quarterback, he'll have to be able to lead. Otherwise we've got another Weinke on our hands.

Rayzor, you've hit on what I feel is really the only genuine problem with Clausen. I can go back and forth with the haters on mechanics, decision making, accuracy, etc. all day. They're all fixable through good coaching, they all tend to improve after a rookie season, and I think they'll all be measurably better next year. I truly believe that Clausen will become a decent enough game manager at worst next year.

BUT, your point remains. Is he a leader? And can a rookie even call out someone like Smith? Well, of course they can. You don't have to be in someone's face to call them out. You can appeal to their sense of duty, or pride, or you can get them mad, or you can get them excited about possibilities. Whatever the method, a leader can get them pumped up and ready to perform.

Granted, that's not something that you can really measure, or even see on the field. A sense of it has to come from other players. You never saw "Leadership - 10/14" on Jake Delhomme's stat sheet, but you heard other players talk about what a great leader he was. And that's how you knew it was true. And that's something that we didn't hear said about Jimmy Clausen all season.

So is that because you don't hear it about rookies much? And even less about QBs who are playing poorly on struggling teams? Or is it because it's lacking? (I know that a lot of people have already decided on this, and lumped it in with all their other expert criticisms). Regardless, I think he could spend some time in the off season studying this: http://www.ecclesia.org/truth/friends.html

If he's ever going to become a GOOD quarterback, he'll have to be able to lead. Otherwise we've got another Weinke on our hands.

Beason came in his rookie year and demanded respect from the get go. He is a real leader.

also let this thread die

I know, me posting in it isn't helping the fact, I just wanted to point out that beason is the poo

Say what you like about JC whether you like him or not, but him coming down here to speak with coaches and get into the playbook is completely voluntary. No one can hate on his work ethic.

If JaMarcus Russell had the attitude and work ethic of JC he would still be in the league.

I'm neither for nor against Clausen personally, I hope the team brings in some really good competition at QB, but the kid does work his tail off.

JimmyClausen Jimmy Clausen

Charlotte bound less than 24 hrs...time to start grinding!!

@carolinagrowl

Steve Reed

Meeting with new coach? RT @JimmyClausen: Charlotte bound less than 24 hrs...time to start grinding!!

@ @carolinagrowl yessir

@ @BSpringsJames ya talked a few times already...lookin forward to gettin the PBook

Archived