• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Both Sides finally meeting regarding CBA

The Saltman

Owners give up the 18 game season proposal and agree to provide some level of healthcare for a finite and specified time after a player leaves the league (maybe 5 year max...based on time in the league)

Players agree to a lower sharing %.

Both agree to Rookie Cap.

DONE.

I think those are all good ideas, but I think (and I could very well be mistaken) that one of the issues that they are kind of at an impasse on is the fact that a lot of the issues players develop from a medical standpoint don't surface until many years after they have left the league. For instance, a guy might play in the league 8 years, retire at 30, get medical benefits until 35, and not show signs of alzheimers(sp?) or some other problem stemming from multiple concussions until 40-45. I think that is where there is some heavy gray area. Can anyone clarify this?

depends. Only the guys that put in serious time should get the benefit of a doubt.

This is a tricky issue to me. I do think they deserve insurance, particularly your vested vets, but with the money they make why can't they pay for cvg themselves?

Also, what about a group plan?

Move the vesting time from 3 to 5 years.

Just some ideas, but I don't get why it's such a huge issue that's taken this long to resolve. Apply a rookie cap, take some of that money towards health cvg.

They all lose with a lock out.

Well really the players lose more than anyone because of there leaders tactics. If the owners lock out D.Smith will use litigation to try to force the owners hands. That could take 2 years in court. Lawyers are really not constrained by time but the players are. They are use to a life style and that life style cost money.

I think the players and Fans want this deal to be done more then the reps do.

Healthcare beyond employment should be a 2 way street holding both parties somewhat accountable.

Open a group plan:

employee is covered for free while employed

Family gets coverage by paying premiums thru employee's withholding.

Once you are no longer employed by that employer, you can purchase insurance in the group plan at predetermined rate.

Isn't this basically what all employer provided healthcare plans involve?

I know they are more at risk than most people, but not many employers - other than US Military - provide any medical coverage beyond employment. The players should shoulder some of the financial burden for medical coverage beyond employment - they make big $$$$$.

Archived