• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL.com : Panthers can only improve with top pick, new regime

D34Williams

It's not easy being a Panthers fan. If you aren't, it's probably hard imagining being one ... at least recently. The team's freefall since the playoff loss to the Cardinals in January 2009 has been tough on a fan...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e6fb63/article/panthers-can-only-improve-with-top-pick-new-regime?module=HP_cp2

Same ol' from the talking heads. Thought it'd be worth a read.

Its pretty fair. I think hes a little anxious about dropping praise, but that the entire piece isn't wholly negative listing a dearth of positional talent is evidence of the Panthers relatively decent position from which to rebuild. They have a good line, league top backs, possibly good but questionable lb group, number one CB in place, Charles Johnson, promising new WRs, etc.

Really all the Panthers need is average QB play that is troublesome to obtain. Given that Clausen is still considered to be a good prospect and they have the first pick. I don't see how anyone could make the argument that they are in a worse spot for a quick turn around then Seattle, Cleveland, Buffalo, skins, jags, titans, etc.

"Panthers can only improve with top pick, new regime."

FALSE.

If you can say the extremely talented Newton will improve the Panthers, you can also say a bust from the extremely risky Newton will cripple them.

What the Panthers need to do more than anything with this pick is think about the future, a player that can be as close to being a sure thing, if they want to say they can only improve.

"Panthers can only improve with top pick, new regime."

FALSE.

If you can say the extremely talented Newton will improve the Panthers, you can also say a bust from the extremely risky Newton will cripple them.

What the Panthers need to do more than anything with this pick is think about the future, a player that can be as close to being a sure thing, if they want to say they can only improve.

I think it would be hard for Cam to be any worse then Clausen was this year so hes still right.

The Raiders didn't exactly improve taking Russell. Anytime you whiff on a top pick it's going to hurt but even more so when it's a QB. With a new CBA the contract won't be as outrageous but it's still going to be a big chunk of change. Not to mention the fact once you've invest that #1 overall you're going to wait...and wait...and hold on to every last bit of hope that the guy turns it around, no matter how bad he looks every Sunday.

If we take Cam and he busts don't expect us to sniff the playoffs for at least 2-3 years, probably more. Not saying I'm for or against taking him, or that I think he'll bust, but to say it's impossible is the furthest thing from the truth.

Archived