• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Salary Floor implications

Stumpy

There has been a lot of talk, lately, about available veteran free agents and whether or not JR is teh cheap. I thought it would be interesting to take a look at the projections of what the new salary cap/floor will look like, and how it might affect our off-season moves.

First off, with the contracts currently on the books, our cap figure would be right around $70 million. With the new salary floor being projected anywhere from $120-135 million.

Going on the lower end of the spectrum, that leaves us roughly $50 million that we must to spend to reach the salary floor. If you account for Kalil's franchise tender and JShock's contract, that number moves to about $37 mil. Assuming we re-sign Williams, Johnson, Davis and Anderson, I would expect them to come in around $20 mil.

Now we are down to +/- $17 mil. Depending on a rookie scale, our draft picks will probably account for about $6-10 million. (Most 'experts' believe that, regardless of the pay scale, 1st round picks won't garner the huge contracts of the past couple years.)

That leaves us with about $7-11 million that we must spend to comply with league rules. This means that we are likely to pick up at least one high-end FA or, more likely IMO, 2-3 mid-level guys a la Shockey. So get your wishlists ready...

there has been a lot of talk, lately, about available veteran free agents and whether or not jr is teh cheap. i thought it would be interesting to take a look at the projections of what the new salary cap/floor will look like, and how it might affect our off-season moves.

First off, with the contracts currently on the books, our cap figure would be right around $70 million. With the new salary floor being projected anywhere from $120-135 million.

Going on the lower end of the spectrum, that leaves us roughly $50 million that we must to spend to reach the salary floor. If you account for kalil's franchise tender and jshock's contract, that number moves to about $37 mil. Assuming we re-sign williams, johnson, davis and anderson, i would expect them to come in around $20 mil.

Now we are down to +/- $17 mil. Depending on a rookie scale, our draft picks will probably account for about $6-10 million. (most 'experts' believe that, regardless of the pay scale, 1st round picks won't garner the huge contracts of the past couple years.)

that leaves us with about $7-11 million that we must spend to comply with league rules. This means that we are likely to pick up at least one high-end fa or, more likely imo, 2-3 mid-level guys a la shockey. So get your wishlists ready...

[attach]34408[/attach]

No way teh floor is $120 try around 80 million with the Cap being around $120.

Yeah I don't see the floor being that high.

If the calculations of the floor, in respect to the cap, are similar to the previous model, the floor will be roughly 90% of the cap.

And as for a $120 million cap, without even counting franchise tags or re-signing any players, 5 teams would already be over that number. When you add draft picks alone to that, another 5 would likely break $120 mil.

Edit: Based on that link, we are at $73 million before Shockey and the Franchise Tag.

If the calculations of the floor, in respect to the cap, are similar to the previous model, the floor will be roughly 90% of the cap.

And as for a $120 million cap, without even counting franchise tags or re-signing any players, 5 teams would already be over that number. When you add draft picks alone to that, another 5 would likely break $120 mil.

Edit: Based on that link, we are at $73 million before Shockey and the Franchise Tag.

Those 5 teams will have to cut players. Last cap year accord to the link you posted was 2009 that cap was $130 million. Owners will get concessions so you can figure the cap will be around $120. Look at 2006 the cap was $94 million. So between $94 million and $130 million will be the cap.

Those 5 teams will have to cut players. Last cap year accord to the link you posted was 2009 that cap was $130 million. Owners will get concessions so you can figure the cap will be around $120. Look at 2006 the cap was $94 million. So between $94 million and $130 million will be the cap.

The cap is based on league income from the year prior. Therefore, this years cap will be based on the $9 billion in income once it has been redistributed.

Under the last CBA ($1 billion off the top +40% for owners and 60% for players) it works out to $4.2 bil for the owners and $4.8 bil for the players. The owners have said they would like to reverse that number by taking another $1 bil off the top.

Based on that formula you have $7 bil left over. Split the same 60-40 for the players, you get $4.8 billion to the owners and $4.2 billion for the players.

$4.2 bil divided by the 32 teams comes up with a cap number of approx. $131.25 million. Leaving a floor number of about $118 million.

The cap is based on league income from the year prior. Therefore, this years cap will be based on the $9 billion in income once it has been redistributed.

Under the last CBA ($1 billion off the top +40% for owners and 60% for players) it works out to $4.2 bil for the owners and $4.8 bil for the players. The owners have said they would like to reverse that number by taking another $1 bil off the top.

Based on that formula you have $7 bil left over. Split the same 60-40 for the players, you get $4.8 billion to the owners and $4.2 billion for the players.

$4.2 bil divided by the 32 teams comes up with a cap number of approx. $131.25 million. Leaving a cap number of about $118 million.

The Split wont be 60-40. look for it to be closer to 53-47 players/owners. The players are going to give some money back to the owners.

The Split wont be 60-40. look for it to be closer to 53-47 players/owners. The players are going to give some money back to the owners.

I absolutely could be wrong on this, but, from what I have read, I have understood it that the league wants to flip the overall money, not percentages. I believe that the 53-47% split that has been floated is assuming the players won't go for the extra $1 billion. That would again give you, roughly, $4.2 bil to the players and $4.8 to the league.

If you have read anything to the contrary, I would love to read it. This whole situation has become extremely convoluted and hard to grasp. I'm not sure we will really know anything until a deal gets done.

Assuming that the players' share of the revenue is around $4.2 (approximately equivalent to a cap of $131.25M for each team) the players would be conceding about half a billion dollars in revenue to the owners. that would amount to more than 10% pay cut on an overall basis as far as the players are concerned. I don't think the owners can expect more than that.

I think a salary cap of roughly $130M is realistic. You go down to $125M and that amounts nearly a 20% decrease in players' revenue compared to the previous CBA. I can't imagine the players accepting that.

Richardson--the crazy man who slashed costs last season (and I am still upset about it)--has us in good shape. There is still speculation that Steve Smith wants out, and if he leaves, that is an additional (guessing) $8 million, of course, he would have to be replaced.

Keep in mind that list is "only for players currently under contract for the 2011 season".

So you also have to consider what that money buys. As of that date the Panthers had only 39 players under contract for 2011. Shockey makes it 40. If and when Kalil signs his franchise tag that will make 41.

So, then they have to fill out the rest of the roster, add in the "dead money", the practice squad, and have a considerable cushion left to add players throughout the long season to replace injured/IR'd players.

The money will spend up fast.

39 active cotracts + Jshock and Kalil we're up to 41. Dwill, CJ, TD and Anderson make 45. We have seven draft picks which brings us up to 52. Add in one free agent and you've got a 53 man roster.

So, we have $37 million to reach the projected floor, and 12 slots to fill out the roster. I think it is very likely that we, at the very least, re-sign our core guys (Williams, Johnson, Anderson and TD) while possibly adding another FA or 2.

Does the PS count against the cap? I've never been clear on that.

Archived