• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Yas: By the numbers - Newton vs. Gabbert

blackcatgrowl

hate to break it to you, but going undefeated in college does not even come close to guaranteeing success in the NFL.

Why is it so hard for you to believe someone just disagrees with you?

The point I'm trying to make is that it's not about comparing statistics with the NFL draft. They play a very small role in it all. It's more about the film and what skills they show that can translate to the NFL. Some people think what Gabbert brings to the table is more pertinent to the NFL. Others don't agree. Obviously, if there was agreement over him or Newton or any other prospect in this draft we wouldn't even be discussing this because the Panthers would likely already knew who they were picking.

Gabbert's shown a variety of skills that can translate well to the NFL. Some of them relate to being a pocket passer. Yas was trying to show that Cam Newton is a great passer too, in and out of the pocket. That's fine, but the problem is that it's not just statistics that tell that story. Nobody is denying Cam Newton put up great stats and found a way to get his guys the balls. Some just question whether that success and the way he found it will translate to the NFL (many of those same people also are unsure of Gabbert, since I think there's only one or two posters here who actually want Gabbert with our #1).

Its not the just the fact the he won its the fact that he's a winner and is used to winning the makes a big difference.

So were back to "character issues".

You guys just need to fugin man up and say "I don't like Newton because he's been accused of stuff, not because of any football related facts!"

Nevermind none of that has any bearing on being a professional athlete.

Gotcha! ;)

I actually do like Newton but I don't want to take him with the #1 overall pick. I don't want Gabbert either with that pick, but I admit I like him a bit more.

However, it's absolutely ridiculous to say Blaine Gabbert and Cam Newton have the same character concerns. Concerns don't mean actual issues, but they are things teams are investigating.

If we pick him, it'll not be because Newton didn't make missteps in the past, but because they were found to be something he grew from. If we pick him, I'll get behind him completely. I just would rather have something other than a QB at #1.

Its not the just the fact the he won its the fact that he's a winner and is used to winning the makes a big difference.

How so? If you look at the last ten or so BCS championship winners or whatever it's called, a lot of those guys never did a damn thing in the NFL...

I actually do like Newton but I don't want to take him with the #1 overall pick. I don't want Gabbert either with that pick, but I admit I like him a bit more.

However, it's absolutely ridiculous to say Blaine Gabbert and Cam Newton have the same character concerns. Concerns don't mean actual issues, but they are things teams are investigating.

If we pick him, it'll not be because Newton didn't make missteps in the past, but because they were found to be something he grew from. If we pick him, I'll get behind him completely. I just would rather have something other than a QB at #1.

How so? If you look at the last ten or so BCS championship winners or whatever it's called, a lot of those guys never did a damn thing in the NFL...

Its the mentality and confidence, thats what I'm talking about. If you put that with ability and work ethic the sky's the limit.

lol, who said Gabbert had any character issues? wtf are you talking about?

I find this thread pretty humorous. Guys that are Anti Cam and pro Gabbert are lining up to make excuses about how one year doesn't make the difference and how Gabbert didn't have aa great senior year but did better overall, he is more accurate, has better footwork, etc.

The Cam Supporters take this as evidence of what they already knew which is Cam is better.

My take on it is two fold. I think that Auburn's offensive system was better and customized to what Newton did best. Second I think that Newton is a much better production guy than Gabbert. In other words it may not look pretty, it may not be by the textbook or show pretty footwork, but Newton delivered more under pressure and was more successful when the game was on the line. He rose to the challenge and delivered under pressure.

That is a big reason I like him and what I think seperates him from Clausen for example. Clausen played not to screw up, Newton played to win. That is not taught, that comes frrom within.

If we ever meet in person, first 3 drinks on me :D

lol, who said Gabbert had any character issues? wtf are you talking about?

Basically making up poo now that Gabbert has been exposed. I am now wondering how Gabbert nut huggers are going to defend him. It has always been go look at his games and that will prove me right. Like we could do that anyway. :rolleyes5:

:lol: Where do you think Statistics come from? You have said consistently to go and watch Gabbets games and it will prove he is much better. This proves he is not...

Oh thats why he's so defensive. Did he actually suggest people watch tape on Gabbert.lmao:cheers2:

They both came from spread offenses, QB A had better numbers than QB B, and QB A won a national championship, QB B did not.....QB A played in a tougher division with more NFL talent, QB B did not....I wish both QB A and QB B best of luck, whoever does their home work after every practice and game will have a higher chance to survive and thrive in the NFL

Try this then.. Player A started on the NCAA champions. Player B did not. Player A led his conference in INT. Player B did not. Player A played in a much much tougher conference with more NFL talent. Player B did not.

Player A = Ryan Smith CB

Player B = Darrelle Revis CB

Not comparing the players just proving your argument is not valid.

So were back to "character issues".

You guys just need to fugin man up and say "I don't like Newton because he's been accused of stuff, not because of any football related facts!"

Nevermind none of that has any bearing on being a professional athlete.

Gotcha! ;)

So we're not allowed to dislike him because of both issues?

Archived