• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

FYI on the Newton Debate

Mr. Scot

Thanks for setting the parameters captain. However, you're not following your own rules from the other thread.

You're projecting your ideas onto a "Cam Fan" movement. When again, as I pointed out in the other thread, I was never a "Cam Fan." You tried to assign that role to me. So now your deciding the criteria on what the "Anti-Cam" faction is as well as the "Cam Fan" faction. So, you're doing exactly what you based your whole argument against me on as to why I was wrong in the other thread.

What else doesn't help your argument is calling someone a dumbass, stupid, or ignorant for disagreeing with questionable QB evaluators you cited in a post.

This is getting old.

No one said you were racist (seriously at least). I also didn't say you "hated" him, I said Billick came off to me as he did, then I said that hate may have been too strong of a word to begin with. Again... It's not black and white, there's a lot of grey. But, you automatically are boxing anyone who doesn't agree with you into being a Cam fan. Again, I did not want ANY part of Cam during most of the NCAA season, I thought he would be a bust, but I changed my stance on him.

JOAT has been all over the board saying how he doesn't want Cam, but I haven't seen him call anyone a dumbass for them disagreeing with him. And JOAT has repeatedly stated why he feels that way, and I respect that. That's why it's so heated, you're pouring fuel on the fire but saying you never started it.

That's my favorite option on the QB front right now, though how much of a possibility it actually is would be a big question mark.

If we stay at #1, I'd prefer Peterson or Dareus. I could live with Fairley.

Don't really want A J Green because, like the QB slot, I think we need experience, not more youth.

I like what you are saying. I just think based on value, you have to take a quarterback. DT's basically never succeed as the first overall pick. I mean russell maryland is the only "ok" player. Then looking at Peterson, even if he is as good as Revis, there is still a way to avoid him. I mean look at the raiders, they had Asomugha and their defense was still terrible for years.

I dont think either of the QB's are sure-fire successes but I would go with Gabbert because we know he has the arm, the intelligence, the athleticism, the leadership to be a franchise QB. I dont think Cam Newton has that.

I like what you are saying. I just think based on value, you have to take a quarterback. DT's basically never succeed as the first overall pick. I mean russell maryland is the only "ok" player. Then looking at Peterson, even if he is as good as Revis, there is still a way to avoid him. I mean look at the raiders, they had Asomugha and their defense was still terrible for years.

I dont think either of the QB's are sure-fire successes but I would go with Gabbert because we know he has the arm, the intelligence, the athleticism, the leadership to be a franchise QB. I dont think Cam Newton has that.

I agree with the first paragraph but the second is a little suspect. Everything you said about Gabbert actually fits Cam a whole lot better.please edit

Disagree. I don't like reaching for need. I think you have to take the best player available who happens to fill a need, and I don't think Newton, Gabbert or any other QB fits that mold. Peterson and Dareus do.

We simply think, for football reasons, that he's not worth the Panthers taking him with the #1 overall pick.

We've been all over the supposed "Football reasons". Pretty much every possible concern has been refuted, or Cam has show it is not beyond his ability, in just a handful of weeks, to overcome.

And yet, day in, day out, in almost every thread, the Cam-hate club bashes and bashes and tries every angle to make him look bad.

It has come to the point where those arguing against him either:

1: ) Don't have all the facts about him as a player, or our needs as a team

2: ) Are ignoring the facts in their own stubborn defense of an opinion that was proven inaccurate.

3: ) ARE haters.

The same people against Cam were some of the people for Andrew Luck. When Luck said he was staying in school, and Cam's name got mentioned, we heard things like "We don't need more youth!", even though Luck would have been that. Or "we don't need a QB from the draft.", despite Luck being exactly that.

You guys talk out of both sides of your mouth, and I'm really sick of the rhetoric.

As I've been saying, I'd rather you chumps man up and just be honest and say "I don't like him, and that's why we shouldn't pick him.", than continue to banter on and on about irrelevant issues that don't factor into him being selected. You don't even have to reveal WHY you don't like him. Just man up and say you don't, and move the hell on.

Bottom line is this. Despite the campaign waged against him or for him on this board... he's coming here for a private workout and interview. Rivera has said positive things about him and had dinner with him. Hurney has said we need to address the QB position more than anything else, and we aren't trading our draft pick. They are going to make their decision, and there isn't jack any of us can do about it.

You dont speak for the all "anti-Cam" posters. There are some here that really seem to ignorant to the fact he's the best QB in the draft and one of the best in college football history, i wont say any names*coughJOATcough*

I think he stole their laptop;)

Not everyone agrees that he's the best QB in the draft, even among the professionals. It's a matter of opinion, not an objective fact.

But honestly, even if he is, that doesn't mean he's a wise pick. There was a year when Heath Shuler was the best QB in the draft too.

Me? I don't care which one's best. I don't want any quarterback in this draft.

Disagree. I don't like reaching for need. I think you have to take the best player available who happens to fill a need, and I don't think Newton, Gabbert or any other QB fits that mold. Peterson and Dareus do.

People thought Atlanta was reaching for a QB with Matt Ryan. That turned out pretty well. Again I am not a big Gabbert fan and I really dont like Newton. All I am saying is QB has the best value at the top pick. If I had my say I would trade down but this is running on the assumption that we cant get out of it.

Agreed. Just like most of the Cam fans won't get up in arms if we go in a different direction. Obviously the team felt that they could do better with someone else or trading down. If they decide to go free agent then they believe that is the best way to fix the problem. Most of the Cam supporters are really supporters of bringing in competition at the Qb position whether it is free agency or through the draft. Some like me would like to see both.

In the end if you are a Panther fan instead of a fan of a specific player, you will be a fan no matter what happens good or bad.

I also don't think that many of the Cam supporters are using the race card or using the hate word. Some perhaps but not the majority.

Archived