• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

FYI on the Newton Debate

Mr. Scot

Honestly I think Cam has all the talent in the world but do I want him. HELL NO. The reasons:

1) He is crook. Stealing a computer when at UF. Thats not someone who I want to be the face of my franchise.

2) I dont like his family. I know people will say you cant judge people based on their families but if his dad is blackmailing schools to get his son. I know this is generalizing, but bad families usually create bad kids.

3) I dont think he is smart enough to be a NFL QB. Just listening to him talk and seeing how he has worked with 3 big time QB coaches and still has so many problems, then I dont think he is smart enough.

4) I can see him being really just wanting to be an icon. He is going to have a big "possy", waste money, go to strip clubs, its just asking for trouble.

I know I am generalizing on a lot of these topics but I have just seen it time and time again and I cant see him being a big time QB.

See... I can respect this guy. He's going after Cam using emotional subjective allegations and assertions, most of which are unprovable, but he's admiting "I don't like him or his family." Cool. Gotcha.

Now, of course, my response would be that none of what he said really matters in the NFL, but hey... that's PackPanther's opinion, and I can respect it.

Good post man.

Honestly I think Cam has all the talent in the world but do I want him. HELL NO. The reasons:

1) He is crook. Stealing a computer when at UF. Thats not someone who I want to be the face of my franchise.

2) I dont like his family. I know people will say you cant judge people based on their families but if his dad is blackmailing schools to get his son. I know this is generalizing, but bad families usually create bad kids.

3) I dont think he is smart enough to be a NFL QB. Just listening to him talk and seeing how he has worked with 3 big time QB coaches and still has so many problems, then I dont think he is smart enough.

4) I can see him being really just wanting to be an icon. He is going to have a big "possy", waste money, go to strip clubs, its just asking for trouble.

I know I am generalizing on a lot of these topics but I have just seen it time and time again and I cant see him being a big time QB.

So we're in agreement. He'll be a good face for the franchise, and a stellar qb.

Let's not act like there aren't any people here who want Cam aided by the fact that he's black.

Just like we won't pretend that comments like he is isn't smart and can only run but not throw aren't infuenced by the fact he is black. Frankly if I were black I would want him here not because he is black but because He has the ability and the potential to be great. But it wouldn't hurt that he could also change the stereotypes about black athletic quarterbacks and the fact he is black.

See... I can respect this guy. He's going after Cam using emotional subjective allegations and assertions, most of which are unprovable, but he's admiting "I don't like him or his family." Cool. Gotcha.

Now, of course, my response would be that none of what he said really matters in the NFL, but hey... that's PackPanther's opinion, and I can respect it.

Good post man.

Which would save this site a lot of bandwidth if Mr. Scot would just do the same.:lol:

Ummmm only one of those reasons is about Cam Newton, the rest are generic relations to the QB position or things outside of actually playing football...

Um.

Not hardly, only one is.

I will type it out so even you can understand.

1. Athleticism- His overall ability is a rare talent.

2. Best Chance to Win- Out of the draft Newton gives the Panthers the best chance to win, unless someone else wants to argue for another QB.

3. Only one team has Ron Rivera and his "teaching" staff, who should be able to really develop Cam if we choose to draft him.

4. Risk vs. Reward- Has the best upside out of anyone in the draft if (the "if" should be replaced with a "when" with the coaching staff in place) he reaches his full potential.

5. Irrelevant to his actual skills, but would bring some attention that the Panthers fanbase waver on way to much.

Who is supposed to be the guy then? You keep mentioning vet QB's but there's no good options out there. The Bengals seem unwilling to trade Carson Palmer and even if they did why would he come here to the worst team in the league? Orton? McNabb? Hasselbeck? Volek? Like putting a band-aid on a gunshot wound. The best chance we ever have of getting a franchise QB is through the draft. We might never be in this position again. It's perfect timing with a new coaching staff coming in. Newton/Gabbert aren't perfect but they're the best options out there.

Palmer would be best (and I say this as a longtime Palmer detractor) but whether or not he can be had is a question mark. Orton would be good too but there's probably less chance of getting him than Palmer.

Volek knows that system and has been an effective starter in the past. He's up there in years though. Much shorter solution than palmer would be.

There's been some good stuff written about Bulger recently, and he's another guy with experience in a related system (via Martz) so he could be an option.

All in all though, I have to go back to what I've said before. We picked a really bad year to need a quarterback.

Obviously you are one of the folks this thread is directed towards. THose comments are defintely racist and you don't have to be black or racially sensitive to see them. We will all be better off if you keep those kind of ignorant comments to yourself.

Archived