• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Free Agencey at midnight?

Rags

Luckily the panthers dont have a big payroll so thus we could actually aford to start signing FA.

But would players want to come here. If teams like Dallas and Washington have no cap and can match any offer the Panthers make, why would a free agent choose to come here?

Every player becomes a contractor so the top free agent in this year's class could hypothetically get $30 million a season for 10 years and scrub free agents could get $50,000 for 1 year. Depends on what the owner wants to do that signs them. So it could be a huge boon for some players (the very top free agents) and a massive downgrade for others (the majority of free agents). That's why they didn't want to change things.

Wow. Anyone that understands this stuff care to explain what it means for our free agents?

Can we give contracts out? Do the RFA tags restrict other teams from pursuing tagged players?

I believe they are referring to the application of the 2010 season rules as that was the last "agreed" upon set. However, since they didn't cite anything they could also be referring to a wild west type of free agency where there are no rules.

But would players want to come here. If teams like Dallas and Washington have no cap and can match any offer the Panthers make, why would a free agent choose to come here?

The Panthers are actually a well liked organization from what I have read. Deangelo Williams has said he wants to stay in Carolina and I am sure there are plenty of players that would come here if the money is right.

The Panthers are actually a well liked organization from what I have read. Deangelo Williams has said he wants to stay in Carolina and I am sure there are plenty of players that would come here if the money is right.

I seriously doubt that "the money will be right". Ask yourself: If there is indeed some kind of no-holds-barred, MLB-style free agency starting tonight, do you think Jerry Richardson is going to go on a George Steinbrenner shopping spree buying as many free agents as possible when he has even less of an idea as to where the 2011 season is going than he did when he was shedding vets last offseason? I wouldn't hold your breath.

I seriously doubt that "the money will be right". Ask yourself: If there is indeed some kind of no-holds-barred, MLB-style free agency starting tonight, do you think Jerry Richardson is going to go on a George Steinbrenner shopping spree buying as many free agents as possible when he has even less of an idea as to where the 2011 season is going than he did when he was shedding vets last offseason? I wouldn't hold your breath.

After this season, I'm pretty sure that the Big Cat wants to win.

Archived