• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All Signs Point to Newton as Panthers' #1

Catalyst

Because of what herm edwards stated is why I think he'll be our pick along with everything else we have heard this offseason about our QB situation from our higher ups.

And interesting enough I'm thinking a lot of mocks/scouts/tv analyst don't have us taking Cam because they don't think we are willing to pay number 1 money to a QB smh.

Yeah, but I agreed with Skip :crazy: we are just trying to sell the pick.

Yeah, but I agreed with Skip :crazy: we are just trying to sell the pick.

We don't need 3-4 dinners, a private workout, and a trip to Charlotte just to run a bluff. I think we really want to pick him and are giving him every opportunity to convince us to take him.

Still doesn't mean we are going to take him.

Are we saying bluff now instead of smoke screen?

We could say "RUSE!".

Naa... doesn't sound as good as "Smokescreen!"

FWIW, I'm still on board to bring in Newton. But with a lockout in effect, my care about it now is extremely low.

But if you think about it, the arguments against him are a lot weaker now. Unless the courts do something quick (which doesn't look like that's happening), he'll have a year to learn pro snaps and out routes, improve his footing, and learn defenses.... all injury free. Also, we're going to have another draft to get even more players next year, so the urgency to fix our broken team is deflated a good bit.

Now... if the courts wait to resolve this until August or later, and 2011 starts (later than normal even), we're in big trouble no matter who we pick, as we'll be starting the year without a bunch of training, and with a bunch of rookies and 1 year vets.

I'm 100% behind drafting Newton #1 overall as long as they don't have him starting until game 12 at the earliest no matter what and I would perfer it be after year two before he's made the unquestioned starter.

Don't try and tell me how QBs don't have to sit anymore or how Newton will be ready to go by game 1. I don't care. My opinion is he won't be ready for at least a year if not two before being the full time starter. It's my opinion, deal with it.

I don't know what Rivera and Hurney are thinking or wanting. But Newton is a project and a risk. That doesn't mean you don't take him, but you have to understand that going in and be willing to deal with that. But I don't think (no inside information just my gut feeling) Rivera and Hurney are looking for a project. They're willing to take a risk but the risk will have to pay off quickly and for a long time.

Thats, in my opinion, is where Newton will struggle. If he does get into games early he will have some success but it will be because he is going to rely a lot on his legs to get him by. Steve Young, who I've said over and over again reminds me of Newton, took four years to recover and learn how to be a NFL QB after Tampa put him in the same position. Short term success at the expense of long term success isn't worth it especially with a #1 overall pick.

Maybe I'm wrong about Newton and he can be an instant and long term franshise QB. And if the Panthers draft him and that is how is turns out I will gladly eat crow. Until then this is my opinion and how I see it.

I agree. If we take him, we need to do whatever it takes to ensure he's successful long-term and I think that includes sitting him for at least his rookie year. Even if he can play from day one, sitting him won't hurt. Playing him too early very well could.

We need to bring in a veteran who can start if Clausen struggles so that Cam doesn't have to play early-on.

Next week it'll be "I have an informed opinion that we'll be taking Patrick Peterson." Then it will be "I have an informed opinion that we'll be taking Nick* Fairley."

People should stop hanging on every letter in ever word attached to every sentence these beat reporters type.

I agree. If we take him, we need to do whatever it takes to ensure he's successful long-term and I think that includes sitting him for at least his rookie year. Even if he can play from day one, sitting him won't hurt. Playing him too early very well could.

We need to bring in a veteran who can start if Clausen struggles so that Cam doesn't have to play early-on.

Still find it amusing that the Newton Nut-huggers want to give Newton a luxury (sitting for a year or two) that they were not willing to give Clausen.

Because of what herm edwards stated is why I think he'll be our pick along with everything else we have heard this offseason about our QB situation from our higher ups.

And interesting enough I'm thinking a lot of mocks/scouts/tv analyst don't have us taking Cam because they don't think we are willing to pay number 1 money to a QB smh.

I also believe so. Also what made me think is that if herm Edwards would have had his QB he would have still been coaching.But he went to a not good team at all in the Jets. His Chiefs was pretty good.

Just something to think about from Pat Yasinskas.

Tom Sorensen writes that all signs are pointing to the Panthers taking Auburn quarterback Cam Newton with the No. 1 pick in the draft. I know Tom well and he wouldn’t be writing this if he didn’t have a pretty strong vibe. Sorensen also brings up the point that it might be wise to sign a veteran to allow Newton some time to absorb the game. If he’s on the sideline, that’s not going to sit well with Carolina fans, who can be a little impatient and certainly have a right to be after what has gone on recently. But think back to how Tampa Bay handled Josh Freeman’s rookie year. The plan was to make sure he didn’t start for the first half of that season. In the long run, that turned out to be a great move.

:sifone:

Newton is one of 6-7 players that are being considered for the #1 pick.

Other than that, all of the articles and tweets are NOTHING but speculation and conjecture at this point.

Who are the other 6 players we have had 5 meeting with (or setup). Only Peterson who had 3 meetings comes close.

Archived