• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I'm Going to Laugh...

Catalyst

It only makes sense if they think they can develop him. If they don't think any of the QBs would work out, then we don't need to pick one just because we are picking first.

Your right...but he is worth the risk at number 1. You don't want to look back in 3 years and say we got solid player at number one...you want to say we got a superstar who changed our franchise. It's part of the allure of having the top pick...and part of the headache.

Your right...but he is worth the risk at number 1. You don't want to look back in 3 years and say we got solid player at number one...you want to say we got a superstar who changed our franchise. It's part of the allure of having the top pick...and part of the headache.

If the FO agrees he is worth the risk then great. But none of us honestly know what they are thinking.

Answer 1 question: How have you eliminated Gabbert from your thinking if you are operating under these criteria? How do you figure Cam's upside is higher than Gabbert's? Please be concrete.

Most of what you said could be applied to the other two QBs as well and they often do things better than Cam but here are my responses:

1) He has an great arm. I didn't see many of his games until late in the season and I honestly thought that all he did was run. Then I watched several games towards the en of the season and I saw him make some absolutely ridiculous throws (not as impressive as Luck but who is). There was one that he put on the money to the sideline off his back foot that left me pretty impressed.

He does have a big arm, there is no doubting that but it takes more than just a big arm to play QB in this league. The problem is that when he isn't throwing a streak or a hitch, his accuracy sufferers tremendously. I'm not talking about stats because those can easily be inflated but actual ball placement on NFL throws. He was rarely asked to throw those intermediate routes into the windows in the zone coverage and when we have seen him do it he struggles.

Not that I take much away from the combine but what you saw there was someone who wasn't used to taking a drop from under center and had shaky footwork leading to an inaccurate arm. Will he be able to throw those dig routes that are required in the NFL behind the linebackers and infront of the safeties? Will he be able to take a 5 step drop and without hitching, hit the skinny post before the safety comes over from the middle of the field and takes out the WR? From what I've seen of him I'd say no. His footwork is pretty bad which has been widely reported now and what you don't hear much about is how slow his transition is from his last step to the beginning of his throwing motion. It takes a long time for him to shift his weight forward and begin his motion and that time is crucial in the NFL since everyone is faster.

This message board is quickly becoming the old Falcons message board. The similarities between the "pro-Cam vs. anti-Cam" and "pro-Vick vs. anti-Vick" camps are scary.

Yeah, funny when you look at characteristics they have in common. Weird.

Difference is, Cam is a better passer coming in (not by a huge margin, but enough of one)...

3) Cam presents the most upside out of all the QB candidates. From what I've seen and read, most analysts agree. He presents the biggest upside and has the most potential out of all the QBs available in this draft. IMO, every #1 pick used on a QB is a huge gamble - it's all risk/reward... So, why not take the guy that could potentially be one of the greats? That's the type of potential I've heard analysts say he has. Even Gil Brandt, who had a hand in getting guys like Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman for the Cowboys has talked about how much he likes Cam. Ryan Mallett is, by many accounts (including my own), the best overall "thrower of the ball" in this draft... But, his lack of mobility concerns me. Also, the drug rumors are scary, but it seems he has done a good job in assuring teams that isn't an issue. Also, Mallett seems to choke in games, whereas Cam seems to perform better in games.

In terms of football specific reasons, outside of personnel reasons - Cam has a huge arm, shows great touch on deep balls (in-game, not so much at the combine), is the most athletic QB in this draft (so he presents a dual threat), and from all reports has seemed to impress the coaching staff with his personality and football acumen - which quelled my only real concerns about his personality.

#1 and #2 aren't reasons to draft Cam, they are reasons to draft any QB.

As for the third, you have to consider that even though he has arguably the greatest upside, he has the greatest risk as well. If you are drafting #1, you want a lot of upside but you don't want to take a huge risks because it can kill your franchise. Many view Gabbert as safer than Cam because he doesn't have as much of a transition to do as Cam does and has a pretty high ceiling himself.

Mallett has a bigger arm than Cam and makes every throw better than him. If your only concern is his mobility, why not draft him #1? Mobility is much less important in a QB than fundamentals and making all the throws.

I just don't see a lot of reasons to take Cam and not the other two QBs. This isn't the NBA draft, you don't draft based on potential. You need players with refined skills and right now Cam doesn't have that. Both Mallett and Gabbert, by most accounts, have better refined skills than Cam but Cam has "potential" and "athleticism" so people have fallen in love.

Answer 1 question: How have you eliminated Gabbert from your thinking if you are operating under these criteria? How do you figure Cam's upside is higher than Gabbert's? Please be concrete.

I would be happy with either but I think Cam fits our offense better. Gabbert is more of a west coast guy IMO. But that's for the FO to decide.

Most of what you said could be applied to the other two QBs as well and they often do things better than Cam but here are my responses:

I'm not trying to differentiate Cam from the other QB's I was just trying to imply why I feel Cam should be the pick. As far as some of the other things you mentioned I certainly see where you are coming from but I have to bring up a few things I disagree on.

The progressions thing is a little dated and I think Sam Bradford put that to rest last year. No QB coming out of college is prepared to make NFL reads...the difference between open and not open from college to pros is enormous. I would assume that even Luck would have problems. I think it comes down to how we bring him along. Most rookie QB's (if they get on the field) get a scaled down version of the playbook. I don't think this would be any different with Cam. Vince Young had the same problem coming out of college and he seemed to do well in a reduced read playbook the Titans ran. I think Newton could perform admirably if forced into action but he will need to be brought along slowly. In all honesty the ability to "read defenses" is about as tangible as being "a winner".

The comment about Rivera was amusing too because unless I missed it I've never heard him mention Grossman. However, I've heard him metion Rivers multiple times. Yes you can go to the super bowl (and win it) with a QB that isn't a franchise type player. Jake, Dilfer, Grossman, Hasselback, are some interesting names that have done just that...but howany of those teams sustained that success. Now look at the Brady's, Mannings, Roethlisburgers, and so on...year after year they are in contention. I think the difference is more than obvious. But then again I didn't realize I was defending Cam against the other QB's but I can.

I like Gabbert a lot and I'd be happy with him...in fact I'd probably be more comfortable with him. But let's get one thing straight, he isn't the athlete that Cam is...look at his highlights and you don't see Gabbert make the same big plays with his feet that Cam did. Gabbert also is more of a fit for a quick passing west coast type scheme. Mallet has a great arm but not much else...I don't think he's really even a consideration. I think he reminds me more of Russel than Cam does.

One other thing is the drop backs and his ability to throw the routes you mentioned. I agree with you but I feel like he is further along than Gabbert as well. I don't really like Gabbert's throwing motion...where as Cams is more natural. I thought Cams feet were better than Gabbert's as far as pro days were concerned. I don't think he will have a problem making drops...but again that's ultimately for the FO to gauge.

I don't want Cam or any other QB in the draft. He has a ton of potential but is also a huge project along with many character concerns. He's too much of a risk to be worth the pick and IMO is more likely to bust than not. However, if we take him my head won't explode. In fact, I won't even be mad. I will see it for what it is, a gamble. I will just cross my fingers and hope the gamble works out.

I like Gabbert a lot and I'd be happy with him...in fact I'd probably be more comfortable with him. But let's get one thing straight, he isn't the athlete that Cam is...look at his highlights and you don't see Gabbert make the same big plays with his feet that Cam did. Gabbert also is more of a fit for a quick passing west coast type scheme. Mallet has a great arm but not much else...I don't think he's really even a consideration. I think he reminds me more of Russel than Cam does.

One other thing is the drop backs and his ability to throw the routes you mentioned. I agree with you but I feel like he is further along than Gabbert as well. I don't really like Gabbert's throwing motion...where as Cams is more natural. I thought Cams feet were better than Gabbert's as far as pro days were concerned. I don't think he will have a problem making drops...but again that's ultimately for the FO to gauge.

The reason you don't see Gabbert doing that is because his offense wasn't designed to do that.

How can you hold that against Gabbert when people claim the only reason Cam ran was by design? Who knows what Gabbert would show if he had almost as many running plays called as passing plays.

What you can compare between the two is their forty times, their shuttle times, etc and Gabbert out performed Cam.

As far as drops and motions etc, comments made about Gabbert and how he was fluid from under center and looked natural doing it and that you could tell he had done it before imply that he is further along than Cam and it really isn't close. People were very impressed with Gabbert under center and not so much Cam.

Archived