• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gus Malzahn blasts Nawrocki (PFW)'s account of Newton

blackcatgrowl

...so this means his coach was lying when he said all that positive stuff? Or does it mean that you have to look at more than just what the coach is saying?

I KNOW we can't evaluate Newton's NFL ability, cause he's not IN the NFL yet.

I KNOW we CAN evaluate pickles ability because he has NFL games under his belt.

I ALSO KNOW we're talking about CHARACTER, not NFL performance.

I never said the writer was credible. I said a former coach of the player in question isn't credible either.

Then who the fug is? No one?

The argument that Malzahn is NOT credible to speak to Cam's character is some of the stupidest poo I've ever heard. Seriously.

Then who the fug is?

Honestly? No one lol. I don't trust most analysts/coaches/etc on any player. I try to make my own judgment on a player rather than listen to journalists/hosts/etc because all of them have the same agenda: get their name on the front page.

If Malzahn is biased, I can see the argument for it. But how do you know that the writer is 100% objective? He could just see and hear all the negative on ESPN and get behind that without needing more contextual information or real inside proof of any wrong doing when being associated with Auburn. The Florida problems are dually noted, we all agree there. And most of us agree that 18 year old kids make dumb decisions, especially when they know they could effect the rest of their lives. It doesn't make his actions while at Florida right by any means. But, condemning a person for a mistake they made years ago and, seemingly, they have grown up and learned from those mistakes since, is stupid. It's like saying a 16 year old is a bad person for stealing candy from a store when he did that at 13.

Really, if you can't take Malzahn for his word on this, you can't take the writer for his word either. We don't KNOW that he (the writer) is unbiased. There is bias on both sides here. Pro-Cam people are not budging. Anti-Cam people are not budging. So the pissing contest is stupid.

I KNOW we can't evaluate Newton's NFL ability, cause he's not IN the NFL yet.

I KNOW we CAN evaluate pickles ability because he has NFL games under his belt.

I ALSO KNOW we're talking about CHARACTER, not NFL performance.

So what you're saying is that a guy's coach isn't the be-all, end-all on a subject, right? Nor is a draft guru's opinion or any single opinion. Gotta take a look at all you have available to you and make a decision from that.

Glad we're in agreement. :)

so we are at the point where no one can say anything nice in cam's defense? it must be his fake smile they were all conned by his agenda

Can't say anything positive or negative about Cam. If it's positive you aren't objective. If it's negative you're racist. This forum is really starting to suck

Honestly? No one lol. I don't trust most analysts/coaches/etc on any player. I try to make my own judgment on a player rather than listen to journalists/hosts/etc because all of them have the same agenda: get their name on the front page.

So your own judgement of someone is more credible than a person who vetted him prior to working with them, then worked closely with them for over a year, and on top of that attained the highest level of success at their mutual respective positions?

Gosh. I'm so glad you could come on here and straighten all this out. I hope Marty Hurney is reading this and somehow gets in touch with you.

The hate here is pathetic.

If Malzahn is biased, I can see the argument for it. But how do you know that the writer is 100% objective? He could just see and hear all the negative on ESPN and get behind that without needing more contextual information or real inside proof of any wrong doing when being associated with Auburn. The Florida problems are dually noted, we all agree there. And most of us agree that 18 year old kids make dumb decisions, especially when they know they could effect the rest of their lives. It doesn't make his actions while at Florida right by any means. But, condemning a person for a mistake they made years ago and, seemingly, they have grown up and learned from those mistakes since, is stupid. It's like saying a 16 year old is a bad person for stealing candy from a store when he did that at 13.

Really, if you can't take Malzahn for his word on this, you can't take the writer for his word either. We don't KNOW that he (the writer) is unbiased. There is bias on both sides here. Pro-Cam people are not budging. Anti-Cam people are not budging. So the pissing contest is stupid.

I resent that statement

So your own judgement of someone is more credible than a person who vetted him prior to working with them, then worked closely with them for over a year, and on top of that attained the highest level of success at their mutual respective positions?

Gosh. I'm so glad you could come on here and straighten all this out. I hope Marty Hurney is reading this and somehow gets in touch with you.

The hate here is pathetic.

Pretty sure he was saying everyone should listen to all sources and come to their own opinon. Not listen to his. That's what I got out of it.

Don't just look at what one guy says and say "NONSENSE!" or "AH-HAH! I knew it!" but try to look behind everything you read and hear to get some sense of why things may be being said.

To me, it sounds like Newton is a bit of a uhm very confident individual (with the skills to back it up, in college at least and hopefully in the pros) who rubs some people the wrong way. On the other hand, he's very charismatic and appears to have worked very hard for the people he has worked closely with up to this point, and I have no reason to doubt that would continue. That kind of thing will definitely endear a guy to a coach, so it's no surprise they'll speak up for him.

On the other hand if you already aren't so impressed with some of what he's said and done, if you go into an interview and he seems to "put the cart before the horse" you may get majorly turned off. Maybe some people at Auburn have some not-100%-positive things to say that, when combined with other comments he's made or how he reacts to things, cause people to create opinions that may not be the most positive all the time.

Personally, I've never met the guy. I'm not going to say he's a bad leader or whatever because I don't know. I did dismiss similar concerns in the past about Clausen and I think they are a major reason why he struggled SO bad, but that doesn't mean that these ones are true about Cam.

edit: as a note, 18 year olds do make piss poor decisions often. But that doesn't mean those that do should be given tens of millions a couple years later and just expected to have improved. That's why we're doing thorough background checks on him, like we should!

Archived