• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What if Cam is a Bust?

Catalyst

It is probably closer to a 3 year deal for 25 million with 15 million guarateed. Depends on whether the players or the owners win on that one.

Will it hurt? of course. Will it set us back for years? I doubt it. Frankly it will take 3 years to determine if he is a bust or not.

So you are saying the new rookie scale will get the first pick only a 3 year deal? I'm not sure b/c I havent read on the proposals for the rookie scale, but I would never had assumed that. I was more under the impression it determines salary based upon draft position, and the best part about it, is there would be no use for holdouts.

So you are saying the new rookie scale will get the first pick only a 3 year deal? I'm not sure b/c I havent read on the proposals for the rookie scale, but I would never had assumed that. I was more under the impression it determines salary based upon draft position, and the best part about it, is there would be no use for holdouts.

The owners want 4 or 5 years so they can sign guys cheaper and keep them longer. Players are okay with the rookie cap as long as they can get out of it sooner. Who gets what depends on who wins the argument. The fans will win if there is a rookie scale and if it is 3 or 4 years max. That way rookies can't sit back on their first contract and get lazy. They know the big payday is down the road and should work harder to make sure they get it.

Look at other sports with rookie caps like basketball. They get a set contract based on draft position but become free agents. Their rookie contracts are for 2 years with options for year 3 and 4.

Look at other sports with rookie caps like basketball. They get a set contract based on draft position but become free agents. Their rookie contracts are for 2 years with options for year 3 and 4.

Wish the NFL could have pre-set 2 year rookie contracts. That'd be the shiznit.

So Sanchez was picked number 5 in the draft. So it is okay if you pick five to have his numbers but if you pick four spots earlier then it isn't good enough???

Thanks for explaining that?:confused5:

Sanchez isn't even playing like he's #5 worthy. I don't want a QB that hides behind his defense and game plan.

What if Peterson is a bust?

What if Dareus is a bust?

What if Adriel Green is a bust?

What if Blaine Gabbert is a bust?

What if Fairley is a bust?

What if Mallett is a bust?

The other QB's are in the same boat, but it's different with the other players. You can draft another DT even if you're committed to one, same with WR and CB. QB is a special position which automatically entails leadership and a commitment from the franchise. The risk is definitely higher.

BTW, you guys really think we'll get Luck etc. if Cam is a bust? Here's a newsflash, you don't just know if someone's a bust after one season, and you'll be extra charitable if he's your first overall pick, at QB nonetheless. The franchise will commit to him for AT LEAST 2 years, probably 3.

To be honest with you, I am much less concerned about him being a bust than I am concerned with letting a legitimate NFL QB enigma slip through our fingers. If he turns out to be great, then we'd always be known as the ones to let him by.

And, this would be a bitter pill to swallow for years to come if we can't get back into the upper echelon of the division (and the conference).

Vick a bust? I've read it all.

That was the general consensus on this board this time last year. Vick was deemed a "failure" and wasnt a true NFL QB despite the accolades and beating us so many times. Vick=Eric Crouch. Every black QB used to get compared to Vick here, because at the time Vick meant "failure" and was the reason why you didnt want to risk it with one of those guys. This offseason Ive noticed people shying away from comparing Newt to Vick because he is accepted as a very good QB now. VY and JaMarcus seem to be the new "failures" that you stigmatize the Cam Newtons with now. LOL.

That was the general consensus on this board this time last year. Vick was deemed a "failure" and wasnt a true NFL QB despite the accolades and beating us so many times. Vick=Eric Crouch. Every black QB used to get compared to Vick here, because at the time Vick meant "failure" and was the reason why you didnt want to risk it with one of those guys. This offseason Ive noticed people shying away from comparing Newt to Vick because he is accepted as a very good QB now. VY and JaMarcus seem to be the new "failures" that you stigmatize the Cam Newtons with now. LOL.

Honestly, before this year, many people around the country viewed him as a bust. In his time in Atlanta, he was good but never great on the field. And, off the field, he was a headache at best even before the dog fighting issues. He has since proved that he can be a great QB. But, there were legitimate reasons for viewing him as a bust prior to 2010.

Despite being a "hater," I think the bust comparisons to VY and JaWalrus are unfair. Their issues were mental illnesses and had nothing to do dedication or character.

Also, I don't think Cam will become a bust. I just don't think he will be a very good QB. The only thing in his character that concerns me, has nothing to do with his past indiscretions, but the people he has surrounded himself with.

He seems to have surrounded himself with only yes-men. This can be a dangerous thing for a young man who has had his level of success. If a player buys into their own hype, they may be less inclined to listen to their coaches.

I disagree; Russell's problems have everything to do with lack of dedication and character. Young... well, he does seem like he has some mental issues he needs to work on. Having people worried he might try and kill himself, saying he wanted to retire, and the latest incident with the shoulder pads. He just seems to have some emotional problems. He also has never struck me as the smartest guy in the world, TBH.

But Russell? Yeah, he was just lazy and didn't want it.

Cam? I have no reason to believe any of these are issues with him. I honestly don't know where that comes from, TBH. Just watching an interview with the guy tells you he's MUCH more intelligent than VY and a LOT more driven than Russell. I remember watching Russell's interview just after being drafted and thinking how apathetic he seemed, having just fulfilled what should be one of any good QB's major life goals and he just seemed like they might just as well had asked him what time it was.

Archived