• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If you believe QBs need to sit in order to be successful, you're basically a retard.

SmootsDaddy89

Our OL was horrible last year and Otah hurts himself just by breathing...

DWill might be out of the picture, and Mike Goodson is basically Deshaun Foster... I love J Stew, but with his style he only really has about 3-4 good years left...

Our D couldn't handle anybody last year...

but notice I said....WHEN healthy. Also, Clausen's style of play made them much worse than they really were. David Carr principle.

again, run game is ideal....with or without Williams for a rookie.

D could handle teams.......O just screwed them. Not gonna debate that anymore.....no team in the NFL gave the ball back as quick as Carolina following a turnover and no team did less with those turnovers. D put the team in position to win several games....some easily. Yeah, they had a hole at DT.....but they were still a good bunch pending there was even a not so great offense to go on the field (Jimmy made the offense flat out awful).

You put Jimmy Clausen on the Steelers and there D would give up more points and more yards......and not look anything like they did last season.

Clausen/Fox has totally mind fizucked people about what kind of talent Carolina has b/c of 2010. It is pathetic that team went 2-14......it is almost comical considering the talent that was on the roster.

I don't necessarily agree with everything the OP said.

But it is true that we can't determine whether the success of Rivers and Rodgers would have never materialized if they started from day 1.

For all we know they could have started day 1 and been just as successful.

Despite having said that I don't really think Cam should start day 1 (assuming he is our pick) nor do I think he will have to sit 3 years.

but notice I said....WHEN healthy. Also, Clausen's style of play made them much worse than they really were. David Carr principle.

D could handle teams.......O just screwed them. Not gonna debate that anymore.....no team in the NFL gave the ball back as quick as Carolina following a turnover and no team did less with those turnovers.

yeah, we know you don't like Clausen... but...

the OL looked the same in TC, preseason, and the regular season...

but yes, it is all Clausen's fault... :rolleyes:

FYI most consider Clausen as a starting rookie, even though he didn't even start the whole year...

The same things this argument for letting Cam or Gabbert start immediately can be applied to Clausen...

...growing pains and all...

So, my argument against drafting a QB for these same reasons stand... Give Clausen a fair shot...

This is something that I can't come to understand. Cam Newton for all intents and purposes is predicted to require time to develop and learn the NFL game.

What I don't understand is this rampant arrogance that because he's taken #1 he is instantly going to succeed and should be put out there from the word go.

Why is it okay for Cam Newton but not Jimmy Clausen? If Cam has an equally bad year, is he a bust? Why is it that Cam is allowed a year to muck up but not Clausen? Because you can "see" the physical differences?

Rivera promised Clausen that he'd have competition, and while I highly doubt that we'll be walking away from this draft with Cam Newton I can't honestly say that I would be surprised if we did.

I think it's about time I quit reading here until after the draft. I can only deal with so much boy hero worship by a bunch of grown men :/

What about Brady? He came right in and won a Superbowl...

?

Brady rode the bench his entire rookie season behind Bledsoe. Watch his old replays he was missing wide open tight ends during the Thanksgiving game.

Yup, Rivers struggled horribly in his first two seasons, throwing for only 6500+ yards, with 43 TDs and a horrible 24 INT's.

Compared to what he does now, yeah, he was struggling. He also regressed from 2006 to 2007.

Didn't say that Rivers was great, nor that it was him that was carrying the Chargers. What I did say is that he was a good QB in his first year starting, as was Rodgers, and I think that both of them benefited from sitting.

Your opinion isn't based on anything other than happenstance but cool.

Oh poo, I forgot that owners, GM's, and NFL players post on message boards, and that the most rational fans are on there too. Using message boards as a means of evaluating players is new to the scenes, and from now on will be used by GM's to figure out teams rosters.

Not sure what this has to do with anything I said.

simple fact, the NFL speed and awareness is much higher than rookie QBs are really ready for. You can send them in with live bullets, but it's still best to let them sit for a year or 2 and let them develop.

then again, with a somewhat intelligent coaching staff, maybe they won't call deep pass plays when pass protection is consistently breaking down from the word GO, and help Newton/Clausen/whoever out a little bit.

That would be nice.. maybe I'm still emotionally scarred from how f**kING INCOMPETENT FOX/DAVIDSON were...

?

Brady rode the bench his entire rookie season behind Bledsoe. Watch his old replays he was missing wide open tight ends during the Thanksgiving game.

Grabber's point was that he sat a year, came in the next year, and won a Super Bowl. I'm not trying to diminish what Brady did his first year, but in general, you aren't going to win Super Bowls with Trent Dilfer seasons, statistically speaking. The other two Super Bowls that Brady won, he carried the team to victory on his shoulders. And his stats throughout the season for those two years support that.

Compared to what he does now, yeah, he was struggling. He also regressed from 2006 to 2007.

You can't compare what has happened the last 2 years to the first two and say that the fans thought that he was struggling, it hadn't happened yet.

Your opinion isn't based on anything other than happenstance but cool.

Your opinion that a rookie QB should start right away was proven wrong by your own post.....but cool.

Not sure what this has to do with anything I said.

You said that lurking the message boards would have told me that Rivers was in a make or break year, and that he was considered a bust by the fans. I said horseshit.

Also FYI this is not a pro cam thread. Whether we draft Cam or Gabbert, or trade down and draft Mallet or Locker, my position stands. And it was the same when we drafted Clausen.

There's an outside chance that because of how crazy last year was, Clausen can still be a solid quarterback. But it is an outside chance.

If Newton or any other rookie performs as poorly or anywhere close to as poorly as Clausen did last year, I'll be off his bandwagon too.

simple fact, the NFL speed and awareness is much higher than rookie QBs are really ready for. You can send them in with live bullets, but it's still best to let them sit for a year or 2 and let them develop.

then again, with a somewhat intelligent coaching staff, maybe they won't call deep pass plays when pass protection is consistently breaking down from the word GO, and help Newton/Clausen/whoever out a little bit.

That would be nice.. maybe I'm still emotionally scarred from how f**kING INCOMPETENT FOX/DAVIDSON were...

Or try to run play action on 3rd and 10 with a blitz coming straight up a rookie's ass. I hear ya brother!!

hearyoustiker.jpg

Archived