• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Volek not likely an option

Sword

Though I understood the logic behind bringing in a vet that would be familiar with the new offensive direction, I never understood the clamoring for Volek. He's a 35 year old backup QB that has never been more than average. He's not necessarily someone I'd want mentoring our young QBs.

does this mean we're sticking with moore as our veteran QB or we just aren't going after volek?

I don't consider Moore a vet.....not in the defintion of what you want when you have a young roster at QB. Moore is still a young QB.

Remember when everyone was talking about Volek being a good fit because of his familiarity with the system and Rivera? Someone pointed out that this only made sense if Rivera liked him (maybe Scott, IDR).

This report tells me that the answer was "no", Rivera doesn't like him.

I actually really like Volek. The Chargers staff managed to get their defense + Volek + Sproles to defeat Manning's Colts in a playoff game after Rivers and LDT both got hurt. Volek's body of work is by no means terrible. He's probably one of the best backups in the league, and considering we had what many would consider the worst starter in the league last year, I think that'd make Volek better than Clausen + St. Pierre + Moore...

"League source" all too often winds up being someone's agent, so I don't know how seriously I'd take this.

He might be right, but Reed is the guy who posted a big column explaining why there was absolutely no chance of the Panthers picking up Keyshawn Johnson about 24 hours before they signed him.

Archived